Help Identifying Bugs I'm Being Asked To Help With.... Bugs. What Are They?

I believe you meant corn leafhopper, @George .
https://erec.ifas.ufl.edu/fciig/frleadm.htm

1 Like

Thanks, yes, language barrier. … beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes

Are the wings a bit shiny? Looks a bit like a common clothes moth.

3 Likes

You’re right. I caught one and used the microscope. They’re in my carpet somewhere; it’s wool. They only show up around my cabs.

2 Likes

If they are in your carpet get a steam carpet cleaner.
It will kill any moths and the eggs,

1 Like

Figured this would be a good spot to ask. I’ve got these mite looking things in quarantine right now. I’ve not seen them before. They are damaging the leaves in a similar way as thrips would, little tracks of damage. They are large and easy to see. They don’t seem to be spreading too fast and they stay tight to only leaves that are against the tent wall.

I’m starting to think clover mite but that would seem strange to find on cannabis.

2 Likes

Looks like a clover mite to me and the damage to the leaves is another indicator. Squish one and see if it is red. Vacuum cleaner is recommended for control.

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn/mites/clover_mite.htm

1 Like

Please if someone can tell what bug this is…

And to take the opportunity…
One leaf of one plant

The plant is overall healthy

Like the others. At least I think so :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks

1 Like

That’s a leaf miner.

1 Like

@buzzmobile
Thanks man :slight_smile:
Neem should be enough?

1 Like

Spinosad would be my choice.

1 Like

Monitor your results with blue sticky traps.

1 Like

Aphids… the little bastards

Can someone please tell me what these are and evven more interesting hiw to kill them.

The ate already an face de la chem :sob:

1 Like

Looks like a hemp borer to me. Or some other caterpillar species. Definitely remove. A gentle soap and iso spray may deter some. Sticky traps help. Trichogramma minutum is a beneficial wasp that can help as well. Plus manual removal. They’ll live in the stems though so be aware of that.

4 Likes

Those things are little assholes! Them and corn borer, your plants look great all year and then when buds show up they bore inside, eat, and shit everywhere.

We’ve had luck outdoors with trap crop plantings, either some tomatoes or corn as a sacrifice to our insectoid overlords. If given an alternative, most species will stay away from cannabis (most…not those specialized herbivores though).

Anecdotally, I switched Epsom salt for cal-mag years ago and insect pressure has gone down. I like to think the extra sulfur from Epsom salt helps keep cannabis tissue unpalatable, but it’s also just as likely my management improved as well. It’s just a hypothesis right now, but sulfur helps plants tolerate both disease and pests and has been used as an insecticide/fungicide for over a century so at least it’s an informed hypothesis!

5 Likes

Interesting. This works well.

Oddly, cabbage has worked for us in the past as a generalized trap.

2 Likes

Wild that cabbage works for you! Brassicas are normally deterrents but it depends on latitude and bug populations!! Here in the Midwest most of the outdoor pests I see in Cannabis are the same as in corn or soybean, growers next to corn fields can get in some serious bug trouble if they don’t plant accordingly.

@Northern_Loki what kind of insects do yall deal with?

2 Likes

I was surprised.

Varies from year to year both in type and intensity. Hornworm, mites, thrips, scale, aphids, fungus gnats, slugs, some various beetles, those little jumping things.

Don’t recall what was attacking the cabbage, but they were decimated. The rests of the plants in that area remained clear throughout the season.

2 Likes

The power of biodiversity! I know some crop advisors using terpenes to simulate diversity to keep plots bug free with surprisingly good results! It’s all proprietary though so they keep their secrets…for now

2 Likes