Help is this normal?

Is this little bud on top normal

8 Likes

Looks fine. Next time shit light for photos please.

2 Likes

Depends on the strain if it’s normal. Some will create little nobbly bud bits on the buds which some strains will usually do, some will start to fox tail which is not.

From my experience they will start doing this foxtail if you suddenly move the light closer during the latter part of flowering, and is a stress reaction. It won’t affect the quality of the bud just makes it look funny and hard to trim :wink:

5 Likes

Just looks like a bit of foxtailing to me don’t be to worried about it looks like it may be ready soon anyways

4 Likes

THANK YOU this helps

3 Likes

Thank you with the help

2 Likes

This is the whole plant I’m new at this so excuse my ignorance. Every time I think it’s ready to harvest more white hairs pop out so I guess I just let it go?

2 Likes

11 Likes

Sweet! Just a little foxtailing there, it could have been a bit too close to the light… notice it’s only on that top bud. No big deal though and having the light closer helps all the bottom stuff.

Are you chopping her down?

5 Likes

Check trichomes for the color you want and chop at your leisure!

3 Likes

Some strains just do it.

I’ve got a plant with wicked foxtailing all over the place. It’s going to be awesome smoke.

All the best.

3 Likes

Don’t go by hair color to check for “ripeness”. get yourself a pocket microscope or jewelers loop. Once you have grown that strain enough times (even better if your doing it from clones), you can figure out if you like more or less amber trichomes for the type of effect it gives. The more amber you have, the more couch lock and sometime some “hangover” effect it might have. Some strains your might like it with just all the trichomes cloudy and barely if any amber, others you might want more 50/50 cloudy/amber, others want it all amber, and everything in between.

7 Likes

Thanks. Next week the chop

1 Like

I have more of the foxtail this morning. Does it effect the taste?

1 Like

I think it’s a question of aesthetics.

We are accustomed to thinking “rock hard nugget buds” are the best possible.

Some of the best bud I’ve ever smoked is light and airy with weird nodule bits. Like this guy:

Worry less about foxtailing and focus on making sure they get enough time to finish. Still a little way to go judging by pistils.

6 Likes

I have one. This was last weekend

3 Likes

Is this to close to the light? I can’t go any higher

4 Likes

Top 2 bud pics show its starting to amber up now, the other pics the trichs need a bit longer. Looking ready for an imminent chop.

Those lights look like they are good at that height.

4 Likes

This is called foxtailing. Now I was curious about this myself a while back so I did some asking around. Some genetics are just genetically susceptible to foxtailing specifically your purple strains. Now aside from genetics this can be caused from pk boosting towards end of flower and can also be caused by something as simple as raising the lights. I’m trying to remember the source but I’m thinking it was on royal queens page that said if not genetics this can cause a decrease In potency but only on the foxtailed section of the bud. So what I’ve heard a lot of people do with these is when drying they just pop those suckers off for a test smoke…i hope this helps atleast a little bit

2 Likes

No sir you would like most of the hairs withered and turned but what you’re looking at is the trichromes for the ratio of clear/cloudy/amber
Clear=lower thc with a speedy buzz, cloudy=peak thc and psychedelic buzz and amber=degrading thc levels with couch lock. A $15 jeweler loupe is your best friend come harest time

2 Likes