Help me identify this nasty bug, post 44

Here is photo with my phone up close as possible.

I appreciate everyone’s response :pray:
I’m hopeful these are friendly.

I’ve not changed anything in the tent in at least 5 months. All the same everything. I’ve also been home for 18 days on holidays, so it can’t be from outside via me. :upside_down_face: but these are actually bigger then the usual micro bugs and micro worms I see all the time. These are slow moving and don’t jump… took them a few hours to move from the other side of the party cup kinda slow.

4 Likes

Sounds like me lol I’m not familiar with all these types of bugs yet. So it’s automatically dangerous :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Maybe a springtail? They are used for feeding frogs…

1 Like

I would just take an eye to the seedling evolution, it will tell you if they are friends or foes, hum|nullxnull time will come then to take the right decisions, but that’s another story … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

They don’t jump or move fast. So probably not… I’ve seen spring tails before.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching videos and photos and reading about common and uncommon pests and beneficial bugs…

This video looks identical to what I’m seeing

Dust mites?

Otherwise hypoaspis miles looks very close, but the videos show them moving quick. The ones I’m seeing are moving real slow like in this video.

2 Likes

This is my video I took with the microscope
https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/a4kfENBBJoYh

Its done uploading now, please watch it.

3 Likes

Those are most likely decomposer mites - maybe orabatid mites. There’s too many of them clumped together for H. Miles (now called stratiolaelaps scimitus). With that said, there are too many of them which makes me think you have something going on in your soil. Maybe a little wet, too many un-composted amendments, etc.

4 Likes

Some sort of bulbous soil mite, they eat decomposing matter. Just means ypu have a living soil. :+1::seedling:

6 Likes

Thanks guys you all are awesome… freaked me out seeing that many all at once.

1 Like

Yes this one cup is actually unintentionally really wet. Gotta dry out.

2 Likes

Yea I seen something about this mite too. Looked alot like them. Says they eat bulbs of plants or something :thinking:

1 Like

I would get these in my small worm bin when I added too much organic matter with perhaps a little too much moisture. I could not remember orabatid, the name. I would have a bloom in Hypoaspis population it seemed, as the orabatid dropped in numbers.

3 Likes

Ya nailed it. Party cup with too much organic matter/dry nutrients and too wet. Not intentionally, but it happend.

3 Likes

You guys are all awesome

3 Likes

Excellent video!!!

1 Like

If you like bugs frech|nullxnull, couldn’t watch the whole first video he posted :see_no_evil:, I don’t want to finish buried and eaten by that troupe … cry3|nullxnull

2 Likes

Then you would not like Ants Canada on youtube…

3 Likes

Ants keeping challenge? icon_e_surprised|nullxnull Not for me! ejem|nullxnull Love to burn them with a loupe when I was a kid … frech|nullxnull

4 Likes

Dad?

Yeah, I was taught that at a young age too

1 Like