Help with switching to Jacks fertilizer

Why do you mix the Cal Net last? I’ve been using the 3-2-1 for a few runs, really like it, and have just been mixing in order 3-2-1 Haven’t noticed any deficiencies but always open to learn more.

2 Likes

I know some nutrients need to be mixed in a certain order to prevent them from precipitating in the mix. I’ve been using dry amendments so long I don’t remember the proper order when mixing them anymore. I’m sure sharper minds will have some kind of list, I just need to do some reading.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Jacks Blossom Booster 10-30-20 is all I’ve ever used through veg and flower. As long as the pH is right never any issues.

6 Likes

I’ll give it a try. Thank you!

1 Like

I’ve preached this for decades trying to get newbies to think outside of the script of the cannabis herd - cannabis is nothing more than a flowering FOLIAGE plant. In general it likes plenty of N, or you’ll get quite a bit of yellowing and a lot of premature foliar drop come mid to late flowering. Contrary to popular belief, this is not normal or smart, neither is “flushing”. It’s all a bunch of cannabis forum hype, paradigms, that just won’t die.

Also, cups are no go after about a week or two after your faves have popped the surface. I had a terrible algae problem and I know better. My very later seed starters, 2 Maui Wowie, were upcanned on Xmas day as juveniles with the typical single leaves. They have now caught up with the others in size.

My thread may have some tips fer ya. BTW, I’ve used all kinds of formulas of Peters, Dyna-Gro and Osmocote both for small productions and field productions involving acres. I usually buy in bulk, 50# at a time. I have never used any “cannabis specific” food. It’s a marketing joke.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t say jacks is a cannabis specific fertilizer or hype as one at all. Especially considering they’ve been making their nutrients in the US since the 1940’s. They’ve been doing commercial agriculture for decades and in my opinion they’re priced far below the hyped brands. They also have an awesome lab that can provide support and again decades of experience. They’ve only released their cannabis specific feed charts in the last two years and I haven’t even looked at them in detail because the regular 321 feed chart works so well(with little modifications as the plant desires of course).

Jacks 321 also doesn’t cut N at all just like you said.

Edit: I’m stoned and may have read the complete reverse of what you meant :joy:

6 Likes

That’s because you don’t have to cut N in bloom.

1 Like

I probably did the same with you lol

Haha yeah I know, I’m not making clear points obviously :joy:

I just like using jacks and talking about jacks

6 Likes

You did reverse my point LOL, and that’s OK. :laughing: I used to talk to old man Jack decades ago, know the product all too well.

For quite a while I’ve shied away from the high P foods too such as BR-61. Most plants/trees don’t need a lot of P, IF, it is in an available salt - organic or inorganic. I use low P foods. For example, I applied this slow release food to 1,000s of field trees and my vineyard when I first planted them. Also innoculated everything, for many years, with a mychorrizial fungi. Just applied two brands to my cannabis, although your annuals should be growing at least 8 months in the container to have any beneficial affect.

Most don’t realize it but it’s high P foods that contribute to stretch, especially if it’s low light - greenhouse growing in winter.

12 Likes

I went ahead and ordered the Jacks and Cal nit. I have plenty of epsom salt as I’m already using it. This will be mostly for babies in 1-2 gallon pots and I’ll stick with the organics for the bigger final pot. Thanks for all the advice it really helped me make my mind up between Megacrop and Jack’s.

5 Likes

IMO you don’t even really need the mag sulfate for the 321. The newer 5-12-26 jacks hydro (used to be 5-11-26) already has plenty/more magnesium. You can even run it at 1.25 strength. Just feed every watering. Pretty sure Megacrop pretty much copied their formula.

2 Likes

I have been only using Jack’s Citrus FeED on my ganja plants for a little bit more than 10 years now. ProMix BX or HP amended with additional powdered dolomite lime is my preferred medium.

I actually stopped using “flower” or “blossom booster” nutrients based upon an intriguing post made by @OldUncleBen on RIU circa 2010. Prior to my ceasing the use of flower nutes I used Jack’s dynamic duo for many years.

I simply find that the flowers produced by start to finish only Citrus FeED feeding to be superior to those grown with “veg” nutes and then switching to “flower”nutes, which was my log-time regimen before quitting the use of “flower” nutes

And I am aware that I am a weirdo outlier in this regard, but I am a happy camper nonetheless.

The last time I used any cannabis specific fertilizer was back around 1982 or so.

ETA- I did try the Mega Crop version 1.0 shortly after they became a sponsor of OG.
It worked fine, but I found it to be nowhere near as cost effective as Jack’s because I needed to use twice as much to keep my leaves nice and green… went back to Jack’s pronto

19 Likes

Good for you! Welcome to the club who don’t follow The Herd and have learned what makes a plant tick. I specialize in plant nutrition and soil chemistry. When you’re commercial, there is no room for "aw shit"s. :slightly_smiling_face:

I still have some Citrus FeED left in a 25# bag I ordered probably 15 years ago. Like you’ve found out it is a high quality food that maintains a balanced NPK and promotes greening. Chlorophyll is what counts regarding photosynthesis.

ProMix BX is the growers choice for large and small nursery ops. I know of a local op consisting of huge greenhouses selling to big box stores that buy it by the pallet.

Your hit of dolomite will provide Ca and Mg too. Good call.

Uncle Ben

12 Likes

Promix is like sunshine mix floor sweepings.
:grin:

1 Like

@LedZeppelin Sounds like a cheap and easy way to add some humics and biologicals to the mix, makes sense.

2 Likes

I’ve never tried Promix but I’m a fairly new gardener compared to a lot of you guys. I’ve only been growing for a little over 5 years and the first two I was on my own just trying out dumb stuff and seeing what happened. I use Roots Organic soil and Dr Earth dry amendments because it’s cheap and I only add nutes every two weeks so it’s easy to use for me. I’ve seen really amazing gardens using Promix but I was put off by how hydrophobic it can get if not watered properly, or so I’ve heard.
I’m disabled and there unfortunately are times I don’t get to the plants as often as I’d like. Roots Organic comes right back with a little yucca in the water so it’s pretty tolerant of my mistakes.
I agree with you on the bloom nutes and especially the PK boosters. I fried a plant years ago using Flower Fuel PK booster and learned that a balanced approach works best for me. I use the Dr Earth basic grow formula until after stretch and then do a 50/50 of the grow and flower until about week 5 when I switch to their Flower Girl formula.
In 1983 I smoked my first bowl of weed so it’s a big help to get advice from someone that was growing back then. I really appreciate the detailed response

5 Likes

that’s amazing and exactly the type of long term use I am looking to do. if I may ask, what is your schedule per gallon? I have jack’s 20-10-20 peal-lite, will that be a close match?

Thank you!

:green_heart:

2 Likes

I don’t follow any schedule per se, but I use from ¼ to ¾ of a teaspoon of Jack’s
per gallon of water. I usually feed with each and every watering, and I determine the proper dosage by observing the plant(s). I have found that most plants need only ½ teaspoon per gallon. I start feeding the seedlings right away with ¼ tsp. And then adjust upwards. Outdoor plants require a little more than those grown indoors. I typically use small containers which are easy for me to move around. I’ve never had a problem with any hydrophobic problems watering/feeding because I do not allow the ProMix to become bone dry. I water/feed only when I think the containers are somewhat drier, which I determine by sight and lifting the container to see if it’s time to water.
Keeping as many leaves on each plant green and productive is my primary goal, for me, this helps to produce succulent and tasty flowers,

I’ve never used Jack’s Peat Lite blend so I don’t know for sure, but having just now looked at it, it appears to not provide sulfur? The Citrus has 4.9% sulfur.

12 Likes