Herm question

I’m currently in week 3 of flower and found a single branch with all male flowers on a plant that is otherwise healthy and full of female flowers. I haven’t seen herming like this before so I was just curious if others had seen it before. I’ll of course be on the lookout for more nanners as the grow progresses. Admittedly I don’t know a lot about herm plants but in the past I’ve only seen male flowers pop up amongst the female buds, never just a male branch like this. I heard it mentioned a while back in an interview with the ethos genetics guy, but I wrote it off as marketing hype at the time. He described pretty much exactly what I’m seeing, a single male branch, early in flower, on an otherwise healthy and vigorous, unstressed female plant. Here’s the branch and tent:

I already removed the branch as I’m not trying to make seeds, but it’s always good to learn some more from you experienced growers :+1:t4:

7 Likes

I think that’s a Monoecious plant as compared to a hermy and is rare

2 Likes

yep that be a monoecious cultivar right there. I put those in the compost pile.

6 Likes

Can you point me to some more info about monoecious cannabis? I see there are some varieties but I’m having trouble finding a lot of detailed images. The descriptions I’ve found look more like this :

From this post

Monoecious & Dioecious Varieties

Their description reads : "Male reproductive organs are found at the bottom of a seed-producing branch, while female reproductive anatomy is above the male parts. "

I see something else called the Sengbusch classification system but that seems to do more with the number/ratio of male to female structures rather than how they manifest on the plant.

1 Like

There are like 4 or 5 different classifications for monoecity but not specifically about cannabis. There’s very little cannabis specific info about it and what there is would likely be about hemp as that’s where it’s bred into on purpose.

Listened to SnowHigh talking about polyembrionic seeds, and how one could be male and another female.
Although this would have shown as two shoots from a single seed, so not saying this is what’s happening here.
Still interesting stuff!

:v:

3 Likes

Gotcha- that’s what I was running into. Some broad descriptions of monoecious plants, a few descriptions/pictures of cannabis, the flower ratio system, and then a bunch of hemp breeders who want fiber & seed harvests from the same field without losing biomass from the earlier finishing males.

Some more shots from around the web just to have in one spot.

2 Likes

As is my Pink Floyd from Mr.Nice.
Two shoots from one seed. One male, other female.

2 Likes

I wonder if you made seeds, would they be classed as S1 or F2? :thinking:

:v:

2 Likes

Good question.
Seeds are planned, if male survives one month more.

3 Likes