High density Cannabis planting

Drying single top colas saves a tremendous amount of space versus whole plants. Stripping leaves in the field also saves space and time in drying
I’m going to say the post harvest handling is where it goes from great weed to boof. This is not my strongest area. There are people who are fantastic at the post harvest management and it will always be apparent. The long term storage is also a consideration. Dispensary weed also has to be at certain moisture levels to pass which are dryer than what I would like to see
Could you point me in the direction of the equipment that you are talking about. I’d love to take a peek

Outdoor 2023 season

3 Likes

I’ll try and get video from the hemp extension agent I work with! I know they’ve got ones for grain/dual use that separates and collects the cola from the stalk and then goes behind and chops down the stalks. Stalks are left to field ret for a bit and then people just bale it and ship. I saw a video somewhere of IND hemp or Dun Agro using it in a field.

But honestly if its all one cola, you could use a sickle mower on a tractor and cut down portions at a time, load them in a trailer and bring them to dry. I havent seen anything YET that I think does a great job with cannabinoid hemp, but given the popularity in non-legal states and money to be made, someone is working on it

While I love the idea of machine harvest, it falls into the same category as machine trimming. Anyone who pays attention can tell hand trim from machine trim. I always hope they come up with a great tool to make it easier.
Looking forward to seeing the equipment

2 Likes

I agree completely! We are only really 6 years from broadscale hemp cultivation legalization, things are starting to fall in to place though. More fiber processors, USDA is doing trials from grain hemp as animal feed supplement, any number of the deltaX THC you can get.

Shit, I am literally interviewing for a job where I will be a professor of Cannabis science!

2 Likes

Good luck! Hope your resume and enthusiasm bring you position!

2 Likes

I’m half asleep and read this wrong as “high dentistry” and thought that’s not a good idea

Then I had a nice laugh.

3 Likes

I read this as roughly the same space / medium / results with a higher number of plants vs one larger plant. In other words comparing a small scale grow where plant density is the main variable. Am I getting that?

If so, how exactly would this carry over to production at scale though? I think the point about quality was more that your smaller scale / test space grow is going to be higher quality with the amount of personal attention you give it. This is true whether you are planting at density or not and also on a general level regardless of crop.

The acres / thousands of plants in field won’t ever get the same level of personal attention. Not that they can not be done quite well, because they surely can but smaller scale production will always have that claim of a more artisanal and higher quality thing. It holds true for anything, the micro brew popularity in beer is a good example of that, plenty more in the food space that we can point to also.

Lanes exist and we can use them is all I’m saying. I can think the McRib tastes good and also not want to see it getting a ribbon at pitmasters. I can like Guinness and not want it winning any dark brew contests. Extreme examples but you get the point lol

1 Like

that is pretty much how i view it. it would work a lot better for a hemp crop where the seeds would be an added benefit and not a hindrance. you could go through and harvest the buds a lot quicker than culling males. then harvest the plant for fiber and either keep the seeds for the next planting and sell the excess.

I agree that this idea isn’t for everyone and it is not focused solely on the production of plants but focuses on producing high quality crops while protecting soil and improving the environment/biodiversity. In my view, the soil is what I am growing and feeding which then grows the plants. If your soil is a healthy ecosystem this is absolutely possible and this switch in viewpoints of growing soil not plants is important for sustainability.
This idea isn’t for everyone that’s for sure. But the benefits to soil health and grower profitability and stability long term make this worth talking about

Edit to add: high density plantings aren’t new and I think the skepticism towards it is based on how we all learned to grow. Thats fine. I think different planting schemes all have their own pros and cons and its up to the individual grower to decide their priorities. But I dont think high quality and high density are mutually exclusive, I just think we need research on it.

Edit2: I’ve been thinking more about the microbrewery and food examples. But my argument would be that if you are buying it, they are doing it at production levels. It may not be mass production like budweiser or McDonald’s, but they still have to do larger batches than a homebrewer or when I make dinner for my wife or friends. Thomas Keller is a culinary God pretty much and he built his name on serving the highest quality meals prepared with exacting skill and care and could still get that level of product out to a full dining room.

See, I think if it works in Hemp it will work in rec/med. That doesn’t mean we won’t have to fine tune anything, but they are the same plant. This idea really might not be popular, but give me some time and we will see what the research says.

When I was a kid Cannabis was hidden in the bamboo. This was a common sight

download - 2023-09-12T093247.115

Today we see spaced out trained manipulated manicured shrubs. Even the fruit tree orchards are goofy little hedge rows now. I can’t even look at most outdoor cannabis grows, it’s too embarrassing for the human race.

Everyone in the industry looking at that pic wondering how they gonna douse it all in pesticides with no room for the sprayer.

5 Likes

From what I can gather from mostly pictures like this and a few older stories, high density used to be the norm. I see most great cannabis turn to boof or even good cannabis go shit not because of grow but because of how they treat it after harvest.

Thanks for sharing! That pic is awesome

1 Like

you may be right, i just don’t accept it without considerable proof.

1 Like

Small batch will always be linked to quality for me. Unless you can efficiently process a large amount in small batches the flowers will fall victim to excessive wear and tear. Large bags/ containers of flowers being moved around, rubbing against each other, machine trimming, in and out of different bags a few times. These are the challenges that every large grow faces when comparing their end product to that of a high quality home grow.

5 Likes

There isn’t anything wrong with that! I think high density plantings are likely a form of cultural cultivation, just like low density plantings are a form of American cultural cannabis cultivation.

2 Likes

I agree, I think the real difference in quality comes after harvest. But I think its possible. I have a friend who grows 10 acres of flowers every summer to sell as bouquets and if they can harvest that without ruining the appeal then we can do it in Cannabis. Its just a matter of finding the right answer.

I’m telling you guys though, a high density plantings scheme combined with specialty grain crop rotations and cover crops will provide consistent income year over year while improving soil health and reducing cost of inputs. Insulates the grower from crop failure, long term results in more profit because of reduced inputs, and protects our precious water resources

1 Like

What happens when everyone is growing so much weed that there’s simply too much in the system? (We’re already there).

2 Likes

Selling as bouquets would be a great way to keep quality high. If they are just deleafed and hung dried keeping flowers on the stems. Problem is none of the American smokers want to buy that.

2 Likes

So this is a great question. If you do high density plantings you won’t necessarily yield more depending on plot size. You won’t lose a significant amount of yield though if densities are high enough and soil is balanced. The appeal for me is the continued improvement of soil health that will result in less disease, less inputs, and less upkeep. This all translates to more time for growers to enjoy life while maintaining profit.

My system isn’t just about cannabis. Its a holistic approach to soil health that results in superb plantings. Incorporating a specialty grain would offer a high value alternative when Cannabis prices crash

1 Like

I know of at least one place that sells untrimmed bud by the branch. They aren’t a big place, but they do well

1 Like