Hittin' the highminwin road.. my first grow!

one other question i have is regarding males.

QUESTION: when do you know when your boys are about to blow?

i’m still figuring out an isolation box for my males, but i wanted to ask y’all when you know your boys are about to bust a nut? i’m not ready to deal with pollen and seeds in my tent just yet, but i also want to keep at least one male around to play and learn from.

i fear i may have to kill all but my best male actually, just to keep my tent manageable. but it’s nice to have at least one other male to be able to see differences in their growth and structure. still undecided, but definitely trying not to be precious about my babies.

13 Likes

Haha, bro, those are ready…be careful when you move them, they may open on you tbh. I would remove NOW

7 Likes

If I did t want to risk seeds, I would move him now. Or pick the most formed flowers at the minimum and move him in the next couple days.

5 Likes

You could remove him, chop all the branches, cut off all but the top fans, and put all those branches into a solo cup of water in a cupboard under your sink with a desk lamp and put a piece of parchment paper or what have you around it. That way it won’t accidently get sucked into your hvac system as well.

4 Likes

oh damn! i didn’t think things moved that quickly, but now i know. i suppose i need that isolation box NOW, even if it’s not optimized. i’ll move him at lights on tonight.

thanks so much for the responses!

perfect! i will do this. also gonna try to see if i can keep the main plant and have him reveg as an experiment.

i’m so glad i wasn’t lazy about posting this question.

11 Likes

Another thing you can do is cut off the complete pollen sacs and put them in a jar or ziplock bag and store it in a dark warm place.
Let them dry out completely. You can check and see if they are dry enough by shaking the jar/bag and if you see pollen fly they are ready.
Just a easy way to collect pollen………

7 Likes

do you mean cutting just the pollen sacs and leaving the plant as a whole? interesting. it’s more work than cutting branches, but i’m curious about the results.

do you find that this encourages the male to continue creating pollen sacs while you’re collecting them? so he becomes like a continuous pollen factory. or once those sacs are cut, that’s it, he won’t grow more sacs from that same spot?

3 Likes

You can cut each sac or the stem holding all the sacs. It”s easier to cut the stem holding them all though. And yes leave the plant whole.
I don’t know if they will continue to grow sac’s or not as I always destroyed the plant once I got the sac’s off I wanted. Never had the need or room to keep males around like that as I almost always got more pollen than I could use off one plant.

8 Likes

oh i see. i know people will keep mother plants around of special females that they like. do people not tend to keep their best males in a similar fashion? or you just don’t personally do that? thanks @Oldjoints for your perspective.

4 Likes

Yes some folks do keep males around. I haven’t the room for that though. You know us guys, we come and then we go……. LOL

4 Likes

Here is a clone held in just water that you were wondering about previously. The other ones were doing good too

but I must a not hardened them off good enough before fully bringing them out and they died.

8 Likes

i like how you’ve created a humidity chamber for them. i’ve been wondering about how to separate out my clones into a better environment, as all of the clones i’ve taken so far and left in my tent (which is in flower cycle right now) have just died. i’m gonna be taking more clippings tonight, so this should help me. thanks for sharing kasper!

6 Likes

Great thread brother…
That tropical 3 took me by surprise :green_heart::green_heart::green_heart:

1 Like

High humidity is definitely the biggest factor and low light. That upside down Tupperware thing works perfect to keep it at 99% humidity and low light. Then you can slowly start propping it upon and lowering humidity

1 Like

yea when i went to check on them they were basically shrivelled and toppled over. but what did i expect? i’ve got fans going in my tent to keep circulation up and mold down. now i gotta go grab a tupperware from the store.

thanks alwaysnoob! yea, i think she’s surprised all of us. i really hope that she smokes nicely, cause it looks like she’s gonna give lots of flower especially now that she has the earthbox jr all to herself.

last week i tried to train her and when i went to bend her, i heard a major snap and she went 90 degrees. i felt so bad for her that i just propped her back up and added a little paper towel wrap for support. i didn’t even have time to snap a picture of her all mangled which i feel bad about not getting, but then you know, you’re a parent and your baby is broken so you’re rushing to fix them up. (but i should have taken a picture first!)

she’s since healed from that, so i’m finally trying to train her main branch down properly. she’s just getting too tall otherwise. this time i was more gentle about bending her over. it’s like lassoing a giraffe or something.

18 Likes

Looks good man I’ve always wanted to grow Cindy. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks colelennon! i know i said i wasn’t planning on breeding or seeding this run, but since it hasn’t been a flaming trainwreck so far (knock on weed) and i have both a durban male and cindy male, i may decide to seed one or two branches. if i end up with any cindy seeds, i’ll be sure to send some your way! i love how quick they’ve been so far. fairly effortless too.

8 Likes

Sweet Cindy!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use a rubbermaid and an air pump to generate the clones. It’ll definitely bump up the survival rates. Clones who’s roots aren’t developed enough to grow yet, will need additional supports AKA humidity dome, in order to survive when you are using a planting medium. Clones that are cloned with oxygenated water don’t need any additional humidity to survive.

14 Likes

man you guys weren’t wrong! i said i was gonna remove the males at lights on last night, but it had felt better to do it right away rather than wait for their dark cycle to finish.

i still had the shipping boxes for my 3x3 tent, and it seemed like a perfect little container for my males, so i plopped them in there for the time being.

it’s a good thing too, because when i went to check on them at lights on they were already dropping small amounts of pollen! if i had waited, i’d be looking at some seeded flower in the upcoming weeks already. that’s cool, but i’d rather control when and where that happens.

here’s the converted shipping box. lined with trash bags (i wish i had white bags at the time, but apparently 24 hours cvs is no longer 24 hours) and powered by a small led desk light with a small computer fan to keep a little air circulation. the box is pretty damn perfect since i can route an extension cord through the box’s side handle hole on the bottom.

ac infinity should modify their shipping boxes so you can easily convert them into isolation boxes, i don’t think it’d be hard. probably have the inside printed white and add one or two possible support bars, or make their cardboard modify-able. that would make their tent kit super badass, since you would get both the full tent and then an extra isolation booth from the packaging.

i put all the wiring on the bottom and then used the lid of the led light box to create a separation layer. if i didn’t have the fan blowing, this seems like a great setup for collecting pollen.

the box wasn’t tall enough to fit my durban 1, so i had to chop him in half. oh well. the top half only needs to survive long enough to drop its pollen. hopefully i can keep the bottom half going to be able to re-veg him at some point.

since i really only have the one box, it’s gonna be time to take the axe to my two other males i think. my cloning game is still very bad, so i don’t think i’ll be able to keep them going.

19 Likes