HLVd and other viruses goodies

well I was looking at it from the standpoint of having a suspect plant that might spread the desease and needing to isolate at least.

1 Like

If you suspect it don’t isolate, just toss. Bug problems can be cleared up overnight, virus is forever.

If you’re OD you can’t stop a bug from a neighbor flying over and sucking sap and spreading it. It only takes one.

2 Likes

that’s one perspective…but I have not thrown out the one I suspected. In the end I do not believe it is infected and have attributed this to other causes.

As a personal indoor grower coming across a special plant in my limited seeds runs is enough reason to isolate and be sure. Why else does ‘clone only’ exist if not for special individuals. On the whole I agree though better to not chance it.

So I see this as a blanket statement and may not always be the best advice…confirmed maybe it is valid…but for a general gardener who only suspects might be throwing out the baby and the bathwater

1 Like

If you need to keep a plant bad enough to isolate just shell out for testing. It can take months for the virus to be severe enough (asymptomatic in nature) to really notice and it may remain asymptomatic, spreading to other stuff after your “quarantine period” is over.

5 Likes

I suspect that all the variegated plants I have seen pictured are infected.

would also think some strains more resistant just like other diseases

2 Likes

Variegated? HPLVD? Don’t agree. Maybe another virus but that’s another discussion. It doesn’t seem to cause variegation. Maybe some plants have multiple infections but if anything hplvd causes smaller, darker, glossier leaves that upturn slightly while tips can be unusually yellowish. That and brittle stems, lack of apical dominance, “witch-broom” growth, etc. It’s quite subtle until it goes really bad.

Some are more resistant yes but can be asymptomatic carriers.

1 Like

50 bucks seems a small price for piece of mind in the case of continued/confirmed suspicion

2 Likes

btw if I do have this it could only have come from my wife’s figs and it would be a fig mosaic that has infected them. No other cuttings except for a cactus or two.

1 Like

Maybe a virus from houseplants. Entirely possible. But it could have come in on the seeds, which is the real scary thing.

2 Likes

The wife has gotten all her figs from cuttings. This last year I cut them back hard and was taking cuttings and bagging them. They dried out and never went anywhere (probably needed to wax dip the ends) but I used the same scissors a month later and they were also used to trim. I flame the edge but I don’t think it was good enough. No issues until after that.

1 Like

I can’t say exactly how long the viroid stays active on cutting equipment but I have to assume a month is long enough to inactivate it. Needs a living host to transfer to, can’t survive on its own like a spore would.

2 Likes

These clones are months old. I have since they were taken gone several rounds with the mites. Ordered predators after a no flowering week and had cleaned everything. Distributed predators and seen no mites in weeks.

OTOH

and maybe with higher temps globally and increased pervasiveness we should be cultivating those resistant strains.

Meanwhile I have destroyed anything that was not performing up to par today.

2 Likes

This is great thanks.

Have you seen a plant with hplvd? A variegated coloring is 100% a symptom. Are all variegated leaves infected? Nope.

I have pics if you’d like to see.

4 Likes

Uhhhh…yeah. You may recall I literally threw out every plant in my grow and restarted from seed about 8 months ago.

None of which were variegated. At least 3-4 different plants were displaying obvious symptoms, brittle stems, lack of trichomes…etc…had to assume everything was infected and tossed.

Variegation may be another virus/viroid, or just genetic. A plant can be variegated and also be infected with hplvd, one doesn’t have to be a symptom of the other.

1 Like

6 Likes

Sworled variegated leaf. This is a 20 year old romulan. It definitely exhibited witches broom as well.

3 Likes

That’s got me paranoid now, I’ve seen a few leaves grow out like that. but I was pretty sure it was damaged from the excess moisture or being pressed up against the side/top of the dome during rooting. Or the tip drying a bit when I transplanted. Only seen it on some leaves of new clones, moms and all the rest of the leaves that grow out beyond that node are normal.

1 Like

I think we may be looking at multiple viroids/viruses here. A 20 year old cut could pick up more than 1. Brittle stems?

This plant went through a viroid panel at Dark Heart. They only found Hpvld

3 Likes