HLVD virus rampant in CA farms

I was being total smart ass, micropropigation is a method that could possibly be used and even this Skunkman guy said that the virus doesn’t spread evenly through the plant so you could get tissue that might be devoid of it or at least for what he was speaking of. I think once you get clean tissues propagate enough so that when the new clone mother is being hit by internal at the clone cutting shop or any other pest ants aphids wasps whatever you have clean backup.

This is like when we were drag racing and somebody says I wonder if that rear end will break. I said of course it will just matter of when. Same thing with clones right now just matter of when it gets reinfected with this or something else. These viruses are actually what give us diversity also. Nature being nature and us being smart enough to figure out the rules. I will stop trying to be funny and be more serious. Yes if you can breed a type resistant to this virus then what do we also give up?

3 Likes

had you bothered to listen to the subject matter expert who has a phd perhaps you would understand. of course you could get anyone to make a video and say anything. getting a ceo of a testing lab with a phd to say it carries a little more weight, but you can ignore anything you want. as for the video, skip to 35.30 since you’re too obtuse to be bothered to do anything for yourself that would actually involve learning anything contradictory to your belief and listen closely. she may not link to the studies but she has more knowledge than anyone on this thread about hlvd so you would do good to listen to her. but whatever floats your boat.

tl;dr: from the dr herself - h2o2 doesn’t kill hlvd, 10% mix of household bleach to 90% water does. tools need to be left for at least 30 seconds. now, you can go listen to the proof posted or you can continue to be obtuse. i hope you don’t get it, and i also hope you don’t give out bad advice to anyone who has it.

3 Likes

I was pretty sure you were, but internet chat is soo cold. :cold_face:

Please do not, but you could use an emoji so I can be sure. :thinking:
I thought your joke made a very valid point that no one is talking about…reinfection once clean.

Good point, if we find that is true, then we have a good chance of finding virus-free tissue to replicate maybe even without tissue culture.

Another good point.
I really feel we need to just deal with it.
If the virus becomes a nonfactor, and it seems to be at least a minimal worry for @tamimes in time most will not even think about it anymore.
And if it is going to be everywhere we may not have a choice except to deal with it.

4 Likes

cant speak for how well it works against HLVD, but i sterilize all my coir in an all american 941 when i start new seeds or clones. i posted about it elsewhere and got ridiculed for being overkill. clones are a pretty nasty vector for contamination, im interested in seeing the industry mature its micropropogation practices.

6 Likes

Knock off the BS.

It’s a nice day, go outside and get some fresh air.

15 Likes

I lurk alot on og but rarely post.but having a hard time understanding why you think it would sterilize your medium if it won’t sterilize your tools?

I’ve had this shit and it’s horrible. I got rid of my soil that I recycled for 3 years and all my pots. Bleached tent and water containers and let everything sit for a month or 2 before starting back up.
I would NOT keep any soil that had a plant that was hlv positive. It’s easiest to detect in the roots and your soil is full of roots so it obviously is hlv infected soil so get rid of it!!!

12 Likes

Very nice indeed :sunglasses::princess::dancer::woman_in_manual_wheelchair:

7 Likes

he did make a good point that mediums and tools are different subjects, and was linking to data to back that point up :man_shrugging: He wasn’t wrong about that detail getting overlooked, and wasn’t wrong that appeal to an authority figure doesn’t equal a peer reviewed study…not that I don’t trust said figure of authority…

3 Likes

Very true @ChongoBongo, but way more aggressive than needed.

I didn’t intend to come across that way, I hope it isn’t taken like that :pray:

2 Likes

i don’t see anything that got overlooked and the data to back up the point was old. things change. some of the data he linked to was from tumi, the lab the dr in the interview i posted was the ceo of, and she actually had a pretty good explanation for it so i won’t bother paraphrasing it here. it is proof that h2o2 does not kill hlvd and that was what was asked for. i thought i saw links to the studies that provide the data the doc used to make that claim in the comments but that may have been another one. so whether he had a good point or not, he asked for something, then bitched about how i gave it to him. i’ve honestly moved on from it though. i have my information and know what to do and what not to do.

yes it was, took the kids to the playground and had a blast!

1 Like

Who has used Tumi and or Genie ? Both have same price Tumi requires 10 test minimum and Genie has a 5 test minimum but I am leaning toward Tumi.

https://genielabtesting.com/

2 Likes

@Jasper I’ve used tumi, they are good in my book.

1 Like

I’n regards to the subject of cloning from non infected parts of the plant I would recommend looking into some of the various organic substances the will cause viruses and viroids to go dormant. You can’t kill them in the plant as of yet but you can make them take a nap so to speak and not shed new material. If you then take clones while continuing to keep it dormant and repeat that process you would theoretical end up with plant material that did not have it present , this would not be a short or easy endeavor.
I would also like to see some large scale breeding aimed at finding plants that were immune or extremely resistant to its effects.

11 Likes

Sounds a lot like what we’ve been saying @HolyAngel

1 Like

i don’t know that i would draw that conclusion. as you say, it needs to be tested, but if it is 100% present in the roots as they say then i would imagine it would travel through the equivalent of the blood system (i forgot the term) and it would be present when you took the clones regardless. i would say that the appearance of non-infected parts of the plant just haven’t gotten to the blood system yet and tested the plant matter that didn’t have it if that makes any sense.

4 Likes

following that line of thought, it’s basically describing the process for a tissue culture. tissue culture and testing would be the only answer to succesfully clear the infected plant of the viroid with absolute certainty.

Otherwise it would just be a ton of work to get a plant that is potentially stil infected but appears symptom free. the symptoms would come back when the concentration of viroid in the plant tissue had built up again to high enough levels.

that would be interesting, but in a sense I don’t see the advantage compared to maintaining clean gardens and facilities. If someone produced a strain that could be infected without obvious symptoms, it would be like a breeding arms race just to allow growers to grow infected plants (and in particular, poorly managed large scale production facilities). Infected cuts of this resistant strain could be circulated and grown succesfully, but at the expense of everything else in the garden.

of course that’s not what you were describing, but that would be a potential consequence if a symptom resistant strain was bred.

full immunity to contracting and replicating the viroid in the plant tissue seems unlikely or impossible given that this can transmit in all members of the cannabis/ hops/ nettles/ cannibaceae plant family regardless of species.

4 Likes

Reading through this as new pathogens always intrigue my inner epidemiologist but skipped to the end after the back and forth of “I’m right!” egomania spread like a virus…or maybe viroid.

In case the clean tools debate wasn’t eradicated
Sterilization is typically achieved using heat or heat and pressure(usually with steam) to reduce heating time. Your tools(or any other thing/substance) are not sterilized in bleach solutions, h2o2, or IPA.
You are actually sanitizing your tools which will suffice till reduce most pathogens for our purposes.
Hop in a clean room lab and use the bleach or other methods on your tools then dip into a sterile(certainly sterilized using method above) petri growing medium. See what grows and how “sterile” it is not. But use a properly sterilized tool and you will find no pathogen will be left to grow.

Source: Almost a decade of research and experience in microbiology.
Please research using viable sources if unsure of anything important to you in life.

Hoping to be helpful and not fuel any negativity

5 Likes

This post is still going on. :rofl:

2 Likes

so, you say that bleach solutions don’t kill hlvd. a dr and ceo of the tumi testing facility says it does. presumably, you haven’t tested that and are relying on anecdotal evidence over a 10 year period - please correct me if i’m wrong. she has tested her theory and confirmed it. how on earth is that helpful or positive?

4 Likes