HLVD virus rampant in CA farms

H2o2 won’t kill it. I posted a video 2x here on og. (different threads) It is very up to date with the information about the viroid.
It tells how the viroid moves around the plant and how it is in seeds too.
I would say a must watch for everyone.

7 Likes

Here is that video, thank you for posting it in the other thread.

4 Likes

No problem.
It’s something to be concerned about because you can send samples to a lab and get a negative for HLVD but it could be living in the root zone which wasn’t tested. Making your plant positive.
Seeing the research on how the viroid moves in the plant and from plant to plant is interesting.
Bleach is one of the ways to disinfect your tools to kill the viroid.

1 Like

that one video said that testing the roots was 100%, so why doesn’t everyone just send in the root sample and not bother with any other part?

3 Likes

Is it the root, is it the stem, is it the leaf. Is it the seed or the tools. Make me wonder if its just a fancy name for root rot.

2 Likes

It’s not. Though it can present itself similarly. I’ve seen plants with root rot that looked like hlvd plants. Leggy, brittle, failure to thrive.

4 Likes

It is one of those of things that make you go hmmmm.

1 Like

Is freezing seeds a way to kill the viroid? Or maybe a prolonged heat treatment that will not destroy the germination rate. There must be a way to prevent spread from seed.

What have you done…
:rofl:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Looks like the HLVD tests fail positive the same way the covid tests do, not negative. So you could get a bunch of negative tests and then a (false) positive on a 100% clean virus-free plant.

6 Likes

2 Likes

Its a bunch of horse shit “my opinion” You know what they say about opinions. Parden my franch. It’s all about selling clones for 200-300 a clone. Anybody can make up test results on the internet and show its done. Still comes down to Integrity. Integrity I am getting what I ordered and its clean fire cut.

5 Likes

It’s not rocket science. If you scare enough home growers into not sharing cuts freely. There you go.

3 Likes

It’s our penance for letting everything get crossed with Cookies, lol

The cannabis gene pool nowadays looks like the Whitaker family tree :skull:

5 Likes

i with you that fire cuts shouldnt be $300, more like $25-50. I doubt that people are faking the existance of latent hop virus as a whole.

[quote = “HolyAngel, post:349, topic:112834, full:true”]
Looks like the HLVD tests fail positive the same way the covid tests do, not negative.
So you could get a bunch of negative tests and then a(false) positive on a 100 % clean virus - free plant.
[ / quote]

all tests have some rate of false positive and false negative. the genetic based tests have a very low false positive rate with a relatively high false negative rate. field tests in general (like the ones sold by pcg) are going to have a higher false positive rate. its important to run tests in duplicate.

4 Likes

All good points. Multiple tests like you said is key. Need to be testing the parts of the plant that look infected too. Don’t test the best looking leaf or root on the plant, test the messed up looking one’s.

4 Likes

I don’t think they are either. I also think some sellers are legit. I pay for integrity and peace of mind. It’s the home grower on a fixed income I think about. Drinks the cool laid. Will not take cuts from friends and spends a third of his monthy income on one clone.

2 Likes

In the video Dr Punja mentioned that the viroid is mainly in the big farms out in CA (guessing the ones who mainly use clones for their production)
The homegrower and smaller seed companys are in a lot better shape concerning the viroid. Since the volume of clones in their gardens is much less.
I never brought in an outside clone, I have wanted to but haven’t at this point.
I do use bleach on my scissors when trimming just to make sure I get in a routine of good habits.
Better safe than sorry, especially if you like a particular cultivar in your garden.

2 Likes

I was reading the bcga archives, looking for info about the first batch of blueberry seeds and stumbled on this.

They were talking about what seems to be hlvd in 1999.

19 Likes