HLVD virus rampant in CA farms

Not just a clone seller a victim also. Touching horse shit.

People actually believe this. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Title says it. Thanks!

3 Likes

Interested as well

3 Likes

People I know that use Tumi have been happy with the service. That’s who I’ll use this year to get my mother’s tested.

5 Likes

I sure appreciate the mod who merged my topic so my post makes no fucking sense and I don’t get an answer now. what a stupid thing to do, seriously :roll_eyes: did you even think before you did that???

also, j don’t even live in california man…wtf??

what i was asking is for advice on what at home test to use

4 Likes

if you read the thread even partially you would understand there is no such thing

5 Likes

Effects of HLVd on Cannabis

Potential Remedies for Hop Latent Viroid (HLVd) in Cannabis:

When dealing with HLVd in cannabis, it’s essential to implement effective strategies to manage its impact on plant health and productivity. Here are some practical approaches:

1. Quarantine and Removal: Isolate and remove infected plants promptly to prevent the spread of HLVd within the cultivation facility. Proper disposal of infected plant material is crucial to minimize the risk of transmission.

2. Sanitation Measures: Implement stringent sanitation protocols to reduce the transmission of HLVd. Regularly disinfect tools, equipment, and surfaces using appropriate disinfectants to minimize contamination.

3. Use of Disease-Free Plant Material: Source disease-free planting material from reputable suppliers or certified sources. Prioritize tissue culture propagation methods to produce clean, disease-free plantlets. Conduct thorough testing to verify the absence of HLVd in plant material before introduction into the cultivation operation.

4. Genetic Resistance: Select cannabis cultivars with known resistance or tolerance to HLVd, if available. Consult with breeders or research institutions to identify varieties with genetic traits that confer resistance to viroid infections. Participate in breeding programs aimed at developing HLVd-resistant cultivars suited to local growing conditions.

5. Optimize Growing Conditions: Maintain optimal growing conditions to minimize plant stress and reduce the severity of HLVd symptoms. Ensure proper irrigation management, balanced fertilization practices, and monitoring of environmental parameters to create favorable growing conditions.

6. Research-Based Treatments: Explore potential treatments or interventions based on scientific research and advancements in viroid management. Consider innovative approaches such as systemic acquired resistance (SAR) inducers or RNA interference (RNAi) technology to enhance plant immunity and suppress viroid replication.

By integrating these strategies into cultivation practices, growers can effectively manage HLVd in cannabis crops and mitigate its impact on plant health and productivity.

7 Likes

Have you seen this?
It is all science based and you can DIY.

2 Likes

As someone who has had hlv in their garden, I would recommend eliminating any hot, positive, or for sure sick plants! Unless you can afford 3x testing of your infected cultivars, using root tips and leaf tissue, this risks a ongoing viral load that can build back up and infect the rest of your library if you are not up to date on how rigorously to keep plants separate and not cross contaminate.

I will back up what @Justblazin said. This is a risk that is known but difficult to eliminate! Pests, shared runoff, shared trays, crowded tents, not following SOPs, any of this can be done by an amateur to professional grower by mistake. It is difficult for some people to believe how bad it can be but once you see it firsthand it is difficult to ever forget.

9 Likes

From what I have Read Darkheart Nurseries lost all their plants to it and in turn their business. They were a NorCal supplier of clones.

5 Likes

I’ve gotten it 3 separate times from infected cuts and have chopped everything, bleached absolutely everything, and started over, each of those times. Best way to beat it.

It can come in on seed from infected moms too. Pays to know who bred your beans. I’ve tossed any seed made with infected plants too.

7 Likes

@HolyAngel I’ve got a related question:
If you get a variegated plant from seed do you grow it or do you chuck it in the trash for fear of viruses?

I got one now, and I want to know what the consensus is, I’m leaning toward trashing it.

oc it seems fine except for the variegation, but after reading some of this thread…

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a very good question and I’m currently in the same boat. Makes me wanna run some more testing :sweat_smile:

Honestly tho, while hlvd can likely be passed to seeds, the variegation can be genetic, or even from some other virus as well. Doesn’t have to always be hlvd.

1 Like

I mean there’s worse ways to gamble but I am afraid!

what are the genetics?

This would be a good time to use an anti-viral spray.

2 Likes

Since it is a viroid i dont suspect anything antiviral works. They are very different animals.
Thats why rubbing alc dont kill it. It is also passed into some of embryo of seeds made by healthy female from an infected male pollen donor. Real nasty shit. Medicinal genomics put out a good vid on studies by zamir punja expert on subject.

5 Likes

Thanks, not saying you are wrong here.
The research on viroids is not clear.
More investigation is needed but this sounds promising.

Insecticidal and antiviral sprays have also been used to prevent spread of viroid infection from infected plants .

2 Likes

That is very interesting ribavarin shows some promise in potato viroid. Thanks for sharing that. It sent me rabbit holing haha… https://www.researchgate.net/publication/292748584_Production_of_Potato_Spindle_Tuber_Viroid-Free_Potato_Plant_Materials_in_Vitro

This paper seems to say 50 mg/L Salicylic was 83.3 effective in viroid elimination

6 Likes

I do know the Spanish scene got hpld from seed purchases in Cali. I was talking to a company that tests and he had just returned from Spain.

5 Likes