HLVD virus rampant in CA farms

Guess i’m not running any new seeds from cali until I have them tested lmao

2 Likes

Thanks a ton for that. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I kinda scanned the article and totally missed that part.
This is exactly why I love to discuss these sorta things with others.
For me chatting seems like a good way to learn new things.
These days I don’t often learn new things, but I love to learn.
You know the whole 2 heads are better than one thing. :slightly_smiling_face:
Or iron sharpens iron. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I guess I sent that plant to flower… somewhere. I’ve looked a couple times, I might have trashed it for poor growth though. My notes don’t seem to say either. There’s a good few things it could have been, wouldn’t want to witch hunt the wrong genetics…

I’ll keep an eye out for it though, I might have managed to clone it, not sure…scary!

anyone ever try to use mushroom extracts to treat HLVD on plansts? i had the idea that this might be a good solution for treatment, and after a quick chatgpt research i found the following that in my opinion should be tested:

Research indicates that mushroom extracts have potential antiviral properties that could be useful in treating plant viruses. Medicinal mushrooms are known for their wide range of bioactive compounds, including polysaccharides, terpenoids, and phenolic compounds, which have demonstrated antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal activities【6†source】【7†source】.

Specific mushrooms, such as Ganoderma lucidum, Agaricus blazei, and Taiwanofungus camphoratus, have shown antimicrobial efficacy. For example, methanolic extracts of T. camphoratus have been particularly effective against fungal and bacterial pathogens【8†source】. Additionally, compounds from mushrooms like Rozites caperata have been found to inhibit various viruses, including herpes simplex and influenza A, indicating their broad-spectrum antiviral potential【9†source】.

While most of the research focuses on human and animal viruses, the antiviral properties of these mushroom extracts suggest they could also be explored for agricultural applications, including treating viral infections in plants. The bioactive compounds in these mushrooms could provide a natural and eco-friendly alternative to chemical treatments, promoting healthier crops and reducing the reliance on synthetic pesticides and fungicides.

To advance the use of mushroom extracts in agriculture, further research is needed to identify specific compounds and their mechanisms of action against plant viruses, as well as field trials to test their efficacy and safety in different crop systems.

The exact mixtures of mushroom extracts that might benefit plants against viruses typically include specific concentrations and combinations of bioactive compounds derived from various mushrooms. Here are some examples based on research:

1. Ganoderma lucidum Extracts:

• Components: Polysaccharides, triterpenoids, and phenolic compounds.
    • Preparation: Extract using water or ethanol. Concentrations vary, but typical preparations might involve 10-20% mushroom extract in solution【8†source】.
  2. Agaricus blazei Extracts:

• Components: Beta-glucans, lectins, and proteoglycans.
    • Preparation: Methanolic extracts can be prepared by soaking dried mushrooms in methanol for 24-48 hours, then filtering and evaporating the solvent to obtain a concentrated extract. Typical concentration for use might be around 5-10% in aqueous solutions【8†source】.
  3. Taiwanofungus camphoratus Extracts:

• Components: Antioxidant compounds such as benzoic derivatives.
    • Preparation: Methanolic or aqueous extracts. For methanolic extracts, use a similar preparation method as Agaricus blazei. Concentrations around 10-15% have shown efficacy in studies【8†source】.
  4. Rozites caperata Extracts:

• Components: Ubiquitin and other antiviral compounds.
    • Preparation: Extract using ethanol. Concentrations around 5-15% have been effective in laboratory studies against various viruses【9†source】.
  5. Cordyceps militaris Extracts:

• Components: Cordycepin and polysaccharides.
    • Preparation: Use water or ethanol for extraction. Typical concentrations might be 10-20% in solution, depending on the specific application and desired potency.

Example Mixture for Plant Treatment:

• Ganoderma lucidum: 10% aqueous extract.
  • Agaricus blazei: 5% methanolic extract.
  • Taiwanofungus camphoratus: 10% methanolic extract.
  • Cordyceps militaris: 10% aqueous extract.

Preparation:

1. Extraction: Soak dried mushroom powder in respective solvents (water or methanol) for 24-48 hours.
  2. Filtration: Filter the mixture to remove solid residues.
  3. Concentration: Evaporate the solvent to concentrate the extract.
  4. Mixing: Combine the concentrated extracts in the desired proportions.
  5. Application: Dilute the combined extracts in water to create a working solution, typically at a final concentration of 1-5% for foliar spray or root drench applications.

Application:

• Foliar Spray: Apply the diluted extract directly to the leaves of the plants.
  • Root Drench: Apply the solution to the soil around the base of the plant to target root uptake.

It’s important to conduct small-scale tests before widespread application to ensure efficacy and safety for specific plant species and virus strains.

5 Likes

Canada has fallen to the Viroid

The incidence of Hop latent viroid (HLVd) affecting cannabis plants in licenced production facilities in Canada during 2020–2023 was determined by RT-PCR analyses of 15 947 samples from nine provinces. Positive detection ranged from 5.3% to 92% of samples submitted, depending on province and year of sampling. The average country-wide HLVd infection incidence was 25.6%.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/07060661.2023.2279184

7 Likes

Mushrooms are so damn amazing it wouldnt suprise me. I think with the viroid, like fusarium supressing pathogen early is key. Seed or clone soaks would be good. I found some info on asprin supressing fusarium and viroids. Need to do some more research

1 Like

garden is being torn apart with this virus can’t deny it anymore or try to hide…Shut down mode …activated.

2 Likes

Monsanto and big pharma doing this imo. Getting ready to take over the industry now that its been rescheduled in the US. Theyre coming for ur beans. Make way for genetically engineered virus resistant seeds. Im joking but im really not

IMG_9969

9 Likes

What makes you think you have hlv?
Are you getting lateral, brittle braches?
Are a % if your flowered buds not nearly as nice as they should be while others are normal?

3 Likes

Have you gotten a strip test to confirm?The pink lemonade from Anuakki genetics likes to do that wierd one leaf curve like maybe two to three leaves the whole plant rest are normal you can see one on the middle top of this plant .The one i have is doing just fine with slight varigation thing is turning into a tree pretty even growth no brittle side lateral branches

4 Likes

That honestly looks like tobacco mosaic virus to me, idk if you smoke tobacco or not man but I’ve read before you can transmit it to ur plants if u handle tobacco, cigarettes or dip.

4 Likes

I ponied up for the $50 test thru Farmer Freeman on a cut of PBB my Dad has held for a while. … this cut exhibits all the signs of HPLVD symptoms; it’s stretchy/viney, it throws weird leaves, it has lazy U-shaped lateral branching, but the test came back clean :man_shrugging:

Sometimes IMO, a weird plant is just a weird plant

5 Likes

Sorry to hear this!! It’s a heartbreaking experience

3 Likes

Hey broder. Sorry to hear about the fight… i have some dried mushrooms here, chaga, reishi, turkey tails… please take a look at my post above about using mushroom extracts…

Did u get tested and confirmed infected? In case u are willing to test mushroom extracts against it. I can send you some dry mushrooms to give a shot!

Shoot me a dm if interested

5 Likes

I have read bleach or aspirin are good to soak seeds…n acetyl cystine is supposed to be good for humans and plants even as a foliar spray. NAC transcription factors in plant immunity | Phytopathology Research | Full Text

2 Likes

I’m using nac on my plants now really helps with stress seems to help them grow faster.

1 Like

Even if we TC everything… I’m wondering about bugs as vectors making it all even scarier. Race to the finish. Yikes.

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Aphids are a major contributor to the spread of plant diseases .
Ants farm them in an amazing but frustrating way.
Never had them on cannabis plants even if they were on the roses ten feet away , the last two years aphids have made a attempt to take over a plant , was the blue dream both times , apparently they like that variety lol

9 Likes

I can 2nd this. Couple of years ago I grew a bunch of Blueberry Muffin and for some reason aphids loved that thing once it was in flower. I had to chop them and toss them it got so bad. Weird as they only went after that strain the most. They must be attracted to the terp profile of some strains.

8 Likes

If anyone is in California it would probably be best to stay away from Elemental Wellness Center in San Jose. I got clones from there a few years ago and they all had HLVD. This was the last time I purchased cuts from the shops and started from seed only. Some had leaves like this and other had branches that would just snap with the lightest touch. In flower no THC production and small flowers.

8 Likes