Holy's Garden (Part 1)

Same thing happened with the Time Bandits I grew. They didn’t smell “gas-y” while they were growing, but once I sat down to trim them after hanging for a while, it was an overwhelmingly, literal gas smell, almost noxious, to the point where I had to put on a mask, which isn’t something I normally do while trimming. After three or four weeks in jars, though, they didn’t smell anything like gas, so… Maybe I cured them wrong haha. Or maybe I cured them too long or something, where the gas smell/flavor woulda been prevalent after two weeks in jars, but after four weeks it faded or something. I dunno.

I think that “gas” thing may be a sorta catch-all descriptor, the same way people called any really good weed “Kush” back in the day. I mean, I’ve definitely smoked things that smelled/tasted fuel-y before, but reading that OG thread, @HolyAngel, I’m like,”What are they talking about?” haha.

They were growing it, though, so maybe every single batch of OG I’ve ever gotten was just an anomaly that didn’t smell “gas-y” the way those people’s did, I dunno. But it does seem to be a word that’s just thrown around, even though it’s not an accurate descriptor.

11 Likes

Not sure who it was, but I don’t think it was me. I have never smelled actual gas or diesel smells from any chems, or any other plants for that matter. I think I’ve gotten an acetone or glue or even maybe a grain alcohol type smell.

I never understood how anyone could claim gas or diesel smells in weed - it’s like they’ve never smelled actual gasoline or diesel at all. In fact, I think I’ve complained about people misusing those descriptions and trying to redefine the words and the smells associated with them. :joy:

:peace_symbol:

9 Likes

Let’s see pics of the balls and the whole plant for perspective. Mine has been bulletproof, even with a 2 week light leak directly on one during flower while severely underfed.

7 Likes

Grew Bubba for many years and never seen or heard of any herms. If it herms I would suspect it’s an S1 or a different cut.

8 Likes

She’s already chopped in a pile. I’ll see what pics I can grab tonight. The nanners and balls were mostly inside the flowers.

Thanks for the info tho! Idk who I was thinking of then :thinking:

6 Likes

I’m loving the discussion on smells here, gents. I am definitely one who uses the term “gas” ubiquitously. I do know what actual gasoline smells like and I have never really smelled that on a plant. I’m faced with this dichotomy every day and I don’t have the right descriptors to help me out of it. But I have a hard time not using the term ‘gas’ for strains like Sour Diesel, Chems, and OGs. This RS-11 right now smells like gassy fruit. But not actual gas at all haha. Damnit. Help me out, please! Give me the right words. Like the smell kind of stings the nostrils, a high-end, almost pissy, ehhhhhh I hate all those descriptions too.

I also realize people perceive smells so differently. I had a friend over recently smoking on the White Rhino. I’ve been reporting strong anise smells on that one. Minitiger agreed with me on that. I get kind of a fruity backend with the anise, maybe, not sure how to call it. But then my buddy takes a big whiff of the bud and is like, “Wow! That is so piney!” It took me off guard because I never smelled pine much at all. Then as I get to sniffing I do start smelling the pine a bit. Maybe. Hahaha.

PS: Never seen balls on the Berger cut in many grows of it. But I did get nanners on the Chem91 my first time trying to grow her. They didn’t seem to open up.

14 Likes

I’m hoping that doesn’t mean we have to resource the Bubba kush :weary:. Mine are only day 16 into bloom, and I removed a bunch of lower branches so fingers crossed. I’ll keep an eye on them.

7 Likes

Ive ran that same cut a bunch of times with no intersex issues. And have never removed any branches or defoliated it.

7 Likes

Found a banana or whatever on one of the cali connection pre98 bubbas this morning. One of the lowest branches…I plucked it.

11 Likes

Well. Thats cali connection for ya. I doubt its even a true bubba s1.

9 Likes

Yeah, I’ve heard cali connection isn’t so great…but that was after purchasing them.

3 Likes

I totally agree with you @HolyAngel. They do not smell like gasoline and diesel doesn’t smell like diesel. I’ve asked a lot of my former patients about the Chem S1s from csi and the range of answers have been all from fresh berries to strong pine to solvents to just the description “Chemicals”, but for me the 91 is the exact smell of while new road is paved. This is also the general tone I get in Chem D(but with a bit of sweetness and Garlic), Diesel(but with a strong “SK1 dankness”) and OG(but with a hash, wood and spice blend). They all share this tone for me and I totally understand why people are so convinced that they are related with one another.
This is the exact tone I’ve found I so many afghan landraces and Pakistani landraces, heck I’ve even found it in African heirlooms that’s pure sativa.

So my hot take is that this tone is not that uncommon that it have been bred into modern cannabis from multiple entry points. So I don’t think that we should be drawing assumptions about linage based on that tone. I know I’ve been saying that I’m sure the terps are from afghan, after contemplating in the issue I feel like I need to retract that statement. I have hear of so many first had stories on podcast from old Mexican drug runners that have said that some Mexican cannabis was very strong tar/line smell also fresh paved road is mentioned aswell. It’s a time and place I haven’t lived through, so who am I to judge. Maybe the Chem tone came from a Mexican and the Kush from an Afghan.

Edit, I have to add that trainwreck smells a lot of this tone for me but drenched in terpinolene aswell.

Pz :v:t2:

8 Likes

Best I can do here:
Whole plant:

~Maybe 2ft tall?

That one was here:

That one is here:

That one is in here:

This one is here:

25 Likes

She was straight up dumping pollen while I was trying to get pics. She’s now been sprayed down and bagged so no more pics

18 Likes

HolyCrap HolyAngel! I’ve never seen that many dongs on a bubba before :nauseated_face:

Sorry to see that. What a bummer

8 Likes

The Golden Tiger x A5 stretch pheno has developed a distinct oil/fuel note to it. It’s the closest thing I’ve ever had to an actual fuel smell, more like fuel oil than gasoline. But there’s nothing Chem or Skunk or anything in that realm.

5 Likes

Naw bro it’s the original pre Bubba lolol

I still scooped up a few of their packs, I love mystery haha

4 Likes

Yeah was a sad morning. I didn’t have anything like that on the first run. Maybe one or two late nanners :thinking: but that was it. This was full blown balls plus bananas at day 25

5 Likes

Cali connections bubba S1’s were the least bubba-y, and most varied morphologically, of all the Bubba kush S1’s I have ever grown… he has to have a different cut or mixes it with something like he has a strong tendency to do with all of his regular seed offerings. CSI’s s1’s, on the other hand, produce plants that look and smell like the real Bubba, his cut seems to produce offspring that better resemble the real bubba kush to me.

7 Likes

Does anyone around here have any seeds made from csi bubba?

5 Likes