Holy's Garden (Part 1)

I mean it definitely could be. I’m following the 3 or 4 traits that I know will lead me to sour butter and/or blueberry kush muffin plants and culling everything else. Could definitely have a plant that shows none of the chosen traits but has the correct flower, but i’m betting that’s not going to be the case. In the couples years of doing this, My hypothesis is I think the stem rub trait, at the minimum, is tied to the flower scents/pheno. That you could follow stem rub alone through multiple fgens and likely keep pulling out the same type of plants or pheno. It worked in reverse looking at the SSDD F1’s knowing the F2 traits I was looking for. And i’ve followed it around in some other lines too and seen similar plants pop up. Like the TF#1 has the most woody stem rub of the four, along with the right branching. So I knew in veg that she just might have the same type of flowers as her mom and what do you know? She does!

It is the psychedelic salvia, yes. Salvia Divinorum ‘Wasson and Hofmann’ or ‘Bunnell’ cut. I have not personally tried this cutting yet but might just have too today. I’ve had salvia quite a bit before it became illegal in a bunch of states. I was given this cutting with the express knowledge that the spirit of this plant does not like the leaves to be burned. It’s blasphemous/disrespectful. The leaves should be rolled into a quid and chewed on for 15-20 minutes. That being said, my understanding is its the same experience really. Smoking is quicker and more intense. I’ve not tried the quid method before.

Supposedly she’s notoriously hard to make seed with, and that’s why there’s really only the cuttings available since 1962. Looks like someone has managed to do it though so I may have to try my hand at it :thinking:

19 Likes

I’ve wanted to try a quid of salvia for the longest time. When I used to be able to get it it was the dried leaves that were so common in the early 2000s. A quid with the crumbled dried leaves just didn’t seem appealing.

Excited to continue to see and hear how she does for you. Would love to get one of those for my garden as well.

7 Likes

Heh yeah I hear ya. Could only ever get the fully dried leaves back then… I’m sure we can figure something out though once it gets warm again. I don’t wanna send her out while it’s still in the 30s or below over here.

8 Likes

Unless you send by heated carrier, that sounds sound!

Seems it’s a semi-tropical perennial, and cannot take a freeze. It rarely flowers naturally, but is phototropic, so you may be able to force it with a certain light schedule, what ever that may be.

Also seems like it likes a moist, but not wet, medium… coco sounds right! Plus it doesn’t care for a lot of light, like the corner of a tent. Interesting plant.

The link you posted is enchanted indeed… comes up a white page for me. The plants I saw on another site for sale are 120 beans each… move over weed clones!

And, back to the SSDD’s, have you noticed any meaning to asymmetrical branching in seedlings? The branches on my current ones haven’t started to alternate yet, but some are much less developed on one side.

I’ll put some pics up later, and would appreciate any insights.

10 Likes

Wait, when did this happen? I fully missed any of the “Salvia growing” posts haha.

Don’t answer, holy, I was just wondering. Pretty cool that you got that going on, too, though. I really did just totally miss that whole part of the current grow haha…l

11 Likes

Honestly, it didn’t lol

I’ve been into collecting sacred plants the last few years though. The Maria Sabina x Hopi Trippy Citrus tobacco I grew last summer ended up smoking really smoothly and I have a ton of F2 seeds from them to check out this spring; along with a couple new one’s like Sacred Wyandot and Harrow Velvet.

Honestly the breeding itch spread to the backyard awhile ago. I’m up to F3’s of Red Raspberry x Golden Raspberry. And this year will be making F1’s of Strawberry x Pineberry. I put the pineberry’s in last spring but I had started them from seed so they need to overwinter before they’ll start producing.

20 Likes

Yup this “hobby” started as trying to grow cancer meds in a tent & now I’ve got big plans for all types of plants outside this summer… the full veggie lineup. Really fell in love with all plants now, can’t wait to get further into it & start breeding :+1:

Really into the sacred stuff too, lots of good medicine out there

16 Likes

We just got some rabbit tobacco seeds. It’s not real tobacco, it’s a native perennial here, and a old timey medicinal plant. Smoking it is supposed to open up sinuses and dry up snot. I hope so.

The seeds are so small, the pack looked empty!

13 Likes

Like one side has a 6 inch long branch and the other side barely has any branch there at all or just significantly shorter? I attribute that and any other structural mutations to the blueberry from the blue moonshine. The BM is known for fucked up looking plants producing some of the most beautiful blueberry flowers.

That said… I take note, but don’t necessarily follow any structural deformities like that. I tend to heavily follow stem rub and leaf morphology while looking at the overall structure of the plant to define, or pick out, phenotypes. I will cull a plant if it doesn’t branch well and doesn’t have the other traits I’m looking for. If it does have the other traits, i’ll likely end up leaving it until its either too deformed to want to work with (not trying to proliferate fucked up plants in the line) or they grow out of it.

If you know a good soil mix or nutes for these Sage plants I’m all ears. So far just winging it and doing okay. I’ll get there eventually lol.

That “Rabbit Tobacco” looks interesting :thinking: rabbit sized tobacco plant lol. That’s pretty neat tho and sounds like a good one to have around! Actual Tobacco seeds are like grains of sand. Super tiny.

10 Likes

I have grown this tobacco for a couple years now, best smelling thing in the garden(weed not included haha). Well really I planted it once and it kept reseeding. Last summer was dry and they didn’t make it, so I’m gonna start some more this year. I wanna get some other tobaccos, but these are just so beautiful smelling haha. Never tried smoking it. But yeah, 271,000 seeds per oz!

10 Likes

Oh that’s a neat one I’ve not seen before! I wonder if you can smoke the leaves of that?? Looks kinda like a smaller Aztec type tobacco plant :thinking: kinda like the Maria Sabina just yeah, smaller leaves for sure. Listings say the whole plant is maybe 12 inches wide? Is that right? Most of the smoking tobaccos have leaves that are 2ft long by themselves, talkin 4ft wide plants.

9 Likes

The plants are maybe a bit bigger than a foot across, but not by much. If I was to plant them in rows I would want them on 18” from center to center. Definitely smaller leaves than “normal” tobacco. I saw a bunch of tobacco farms when I lived in CT, and those things have dinosaur size leaves! I do think have they nicotine in them though, because I saw lots of caterpillars that got like 1 bite into the plant and just died right there, like mid bite. But, hornworms seem to do ok on them, and I think hornworms can tolerate nicotine?

7 Likes

Yummy!

:green_heart: :seedling:

5 Likes

Don’t know how any of you do Salvia. I tried it once , was a very very unpleasant experience I shall never have again .

6 Likes

Just part of the practice and not something I’d do constantly or even routinely. Vision quest type stuff. She will take you places whether you want to or not. But also, they say burning the plant is against it’s spirit and that’s why the usually bad experience. The quid method is supposed to be an opposite experience.

12 Likes

Yup, there’s a few SSDD’s like that, and it shows up in some other strains, too. Just wondering if it was some sort of marker? I can usually train around it, so it’s not usually a big deal.

I’m assuming you’re talking about the salvia, sage family right? Something that drains, but also stays moist. Apparently they don’t like wet feet. I’m also assuming you’re going use a pot that you can bring inside when it’s cold. I try to stay away from peat products, so I use coco, compost, rice hulls, and sand.

I saw folks using fish and seaweed, but probably any organic fert would do… as long as it’s not from Scott’s/Hawthorne, lol!

Someone showed me a trick for tiny seeds. Most just need to be broacast on the surface and are real hard to see, so mix them in with some sand. You can see that.

The rabbit tobacco seeds need cold… stratification… just like Bodhi’s new drop,lol!

That one sounds pretty nice… we have some cool moths that might appreciate it, too. We are having a root knot nematode problem at the moment, and they particularly like stuff like tomatoes, peppers… and tobacco. We’re try out some nematocidal marigolds this year, which I hope works because that fragrance sounds delish.

Was it under shade cloth rows, too? Most of that was for cigar wrappers, and probably peppered with insecticides… don’t want no bug holes in yer ceegar!

They probably get high off it, and then the wasp larvae suck the life out of them! :grimacing:

7 Likes

@Jetdro
100% salvia is powerful vision quest type material, a tool for the mind and soul and not a recreational thing.

My most intense experiences with her were incredibly powerful, often incredibly dark, but as stated before I was burning her do partially to only being able to acquire the dried, crumbled plant material.

If you are able so set your expectations aside, and let her do her thing, and just take it all in, she can be an incredible teacher and tool, even with all the darkness that can come along with combusting her.

Not for everyone though, I definitely Italy get that.

@HolyAngel

if you ever want someone else to grow out any of your non canna work I have plenty of yard space for veggies, herbs, and ornamentals and things and would be happy to do so and share photos/results. I’m pretty sure we are in the same AG zone, too.

@potpotpot

tobacco horn worms are definitely impervious to the nicotine, not sure if it’s all varieties of hornworm. The fucking love tomato plants too. I had some demolish some of my tomatoes 2 years ago, luckily some parasitic wasps took care of them for me, but not before the did some massive damage to some of my Black Beauty plants, unfortunately. They can eat a plant so fast before you see them you’d think it was deer nibbling on the tops.

7 Likes

Yeah I was going to comment that I used to know someone who intentionally grew these tobacco plants to attract hornworms in addition to a whole host of other flowers in order to keep the predatory wasp populations high. Once the sun goes down those tobacco flowers smell very strong and attractive as well.

There are cool time-lapses of parasitized hornworms on youtube and the whole process looks extremely painful to say the least haha… If you see hornworms that don’t really move when you poke them with a stick they most likely had been parasitized and have larvae inside already.

21 Likes

I went back and added the TriForce #3 pic to the previous post

@Weedison
Looks like the four TriForce are breaking down to
1 TK leaner
2 Hybrids
1 Kryptonite leaner

More TriForce #1 - Day 43

Did I mention I found 1 singular nanner on this girl from that water fck up? Snipped the affected bud for an early sample :yum: The other 3 and everything else are still looking 100% stable. I’ve been inspecting all of them daily.

NorthStar #4 - Day 44

Pretty sure she still has a month to go.

Anyways, it’s veg tent day:

Getting there! Labeled everything that wasn’t an SSDD F2.

35 Likes

I did once also. Was not a pleasant experience at all. I smoked it out of a water pipe.

5 Likes