Home made CO2

Hey guys. I always use what I find in nature or what I can cobble together out of things I find. So often I find dead trees that are growing mushrooms like this one. I will cut the log to the right size to fit my grow space and it makes CO2. Now I know it doesnt make a lot but I like the concept of FREE.

I know some of you guys are doing similar things with compost and fermentation. So show us what you do and we can all learn something new.

9 Likes

Ide be scared of bringing bugs into my grow.

7 Likes

I love this idea mate! Anything using nature and free is right up my alley :grinning:

I take the water left over when washing rice and make LAB. Mix with molasses and wheat bran and you have bokashi bran. Mix that with kitchen scrapes and you have bokashi compost. Mix with left over soil leave for 6-8 weeks and you have the most beautiful composted soil. It’s free so you have saved money and the planet! Everyone wins!

9 Likes

Hell no lol
I’m with the poster who said bugs.
No telling what pestilence that has lol.
No Being a poo poo head.
I never risk it, who knows what will hatch crawl out
Of that.

2 Likes

I make my own labs as well but Ide never bring things from the forest into my grow room or anything from outside for that matter.Did it once, learned my lesson by getting infested. Never again.

3 Likes

it’s a lot easier to take a 2l bottle and fill it half full of vinegar and put baking soda inside, then put a balloon with a small hole poked in it on top to slow it down. put more baking soda in when the balloon is empty.

5 Likes

Nice topic…

For a long while I ran bottle nutes and would add CO2 … it seemed to help with harvests from bottle nutes when I ran coco, hydro and aero… boost yield and frost…

Bear in mind there is more CO2 in the ambient atmosphere now than there ever has been since humanity has been around… no matter indoor outdoor it is everywhere…

In soil that are carbon and compost forward soil mixes do well without extra CO2 in the air from my experience… the slow release in the soil is more akin to what the plants are used to and it boosts, vigor, taste, and yield by helping the natural microbes in soil do what they do best…

It does well to add carbon like bio char and compost to teas or if running organic bottle nutes mix with a brewed tea for better absorbtion… microbes from compost teas give a good boost to bottle nutes in soil…

In my experience…

Put the aces in their places as my old boss used to say…

Wish everybody the best 2024 ever! Haha…

4 Likes

If you’re not running co2 in a closed system not really a point in running co2. Especially if the ppm being put out is negligible like from exhale bags or baking soda mixes etc as they put out very minimal ppm. From my experience trying in the past in tents and open loop systems it’s all being sucked out with exhaust fans. Only time I’ve ever used co2 successfully was in a close loop grow room where temps got higher when I used to run HPS. If you keep the room a close loop then Co2 is a necessity if it’s a tent or room with exhaust than I don’t think it’s worth the effort Just my 2 cents

5 Likes

Place an exercise bicycle in your grow area, and pedal a few miles, a few times a day. No bugs, no pests, and probably more CO2 then a log, IMHO.

8 Likes

That is actually quite true. I have a small co2 monitor with my plants and the alarm for high levels has gone off while I was staring at my plants. However, I cant sit there and stare at my plants all day. Even though I REALLY want to ! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

It’s actually crazy the co2 we create simply breathing. I have a full co2 setup with controllers etc. But off Mine usually hits up around 12-1400 ppm just from me being in there for 15 mins defoliating

2 Likes

I m starting to wonder if 2 people in a room produce good level of CO2 for 3-4 plants with a 200 watter LED Just by being there :grin:

2 Likes

Guaranteed it will!

2 Likes

Take a gallon of warm water add some sugar and brewers yeast to it shake it and put the cap on very loosely or drill a small hole in the lid. This will create co2 for a few week until the yeast runs out of sugar to eat or the mixure becomes alcohol first.

4 Likes