Homestead Mushrooms from Hightimes

So a shotgun fruiting chamber would be spawn to bulk? Is perlite a substrate?

1 Like

The unkle bens rice is crazy simple. Lol. Not pressure cooking anything. To damn easy. What is the downside to unkle bens?

1 Like

Dsernable on IG has an amazing BMR isolation. Truly beautiful

1 Like

Yield has been the complaint I see the most.

1 Like

Perlite is used to keep humidity high. Think he is referring to pf tek (brf cakes)

1 Like

Most teks I’ve seen use coco coir as the substrate. I use the shoebox method and then take my spawn jars to straight coco coir, 1:2 or 1:1 ratio.

2 Likes

Perlite just helps keep your humidity up, its honestly a waste of time if your misting twice a day, you only need a SGFC if your trying to fruit cakes. 2 shoeboxes stacked work great

3 Likes

Really want to get into growing shrooms since I’ve enjoyed the few experiences that I have had. Unfortunately, I found the sacred cactii thread first. :laughing: Shrooms seems a little intimidating. I’d definitely need a good step by step guide.

4 Likes

Easiest beginner tek there is

6 Likes

Shrooms do seem intimidating at first, but truth is… they’re probably easier than cannabis growing.

It does take some equipment to get started (jars, way to steam-sterilize them, a bunch of perlite, spores, etc) but it doesn’t cost all that much, especially compared to tents/grow-lights/nutes.

And the crop turn-around time for shrooms is fast!

I was growing shrooms for personal use for a couple years before I started growing cannabis, and even as a noob I only ever had one or two failed jars due to contamination.

4 Likes

Many thanks!

2 Likes

Appreciate the feedback. That gives me the confidence to give it a shot.

2 Likes

And sometimes its good to be a part of the community.

Thanks to a friend when I reached out looking for a new APE sample on reddit.

5 Likes

Remember even commercial outfits plan for a 10% failure rate. Sometimes as in the rest of life shit happens…

4 Likes

I’m deffinatly going be looking at that begginers guide I started reading into them back in college but being broke college student that didn’t last long. I’ve done suppose to be shrooms 3 times now and not once even a little bit of okay finally happened. So never again would I purchase but doin it myself now that’s a product I can trust is what it is suppose to be as long as get some good spores.

4 Likes

shrooms can vary wildly in potency, even from batch to batch from the same vendor.
I’ve grow Golden Teachers, where 5grams was barely producing a trip… and then another run of the same strain a few weeks later, and 2.5g was a crazy trip into outer space.

Each batch needs to be tested, to figure out where it lands on the potency scale. Start slow (maybe 1.5g) and increase it by 1g every week until you hit the right spot.

5 Likes

I still remember a shroom trip in HS. Second period was gym class and by then I was tripping pretty good. The unit was basketball and I certainly wasn’t a basketball player. The gym floor was undulating in a kaleidoscope of colors and I was draining every shot like MJ. You can’t tell me that shrooms don’t tune you into another level. In this case I was NBA level. :muscle:

5 Likes

I would say that’s true of a multi-spore syringe, but once your running an isolate they are amazingly consistant.

4 Likes

Found some old OG pix folks…

2094pc_spix_007 2094pc_spix_021

3 Likes

It’s sad to hear Rich’s product quality is falling. He is who I would get all my spores from maybe 10 years ago…
Nice guy. He replaced some spore that got hot summer mailbox pasteurized, which got us emailing back and forth. Turns out he lives near me and I ended up showing him my favorite hiking spot.

3 Likes