Homesteading and growing some cheeba

Oh yeah I hear you. On year two we purchased a plucker. Your right I wouldn’t do chickens or turkey without a plucker

8 Likes

I had to search chicken plucker… lol.

How far are you from Benezette area?

5 Likes

Just mapquested it. 3hrs plus. You going to see the elk?

3 Likes

Just got one this year! Great investment :ok_hand:!

4 Likes

Yes, iv yet to see the Pa Elk herd. Maybe come late Sept and cooler weather.

3 Likes

Excellent thread! Can’t wait to follow this thread!

Don’t mind if I do!

16 Likes

Awesome stuff. Looks like your busy. I see your bunch of eggs there. We just cold preserved 18 dozen for winter use. Always trying to stay ahead. Thanks for stopping by @AppalachianBiscuits

6 Likes

What method do you use? I put some up with lime, and scrambled some into muffin tins to freeze. That little stack on the counter is from a ways back. I think there are a gross in my fridge right now! I have 2 teen sons, so we will go through them!

4 Likes

Yes we just did 2 buckets with pickling lime. Good for 6 months atleast. Winter comes and the girls slow down but the dogs appetite grows. They give loving when it’s 5 degrees and hot eggs come out for breakfast. Never froze them but not opposed. Freezer space is always at a premium.

5 Likes

time for bigger and better homes.

Looks like they are ready.

Ahh. Much better. They have landed in my 5x5. Went with old faithful ocean floor. I’m not sure of the light I’ll have to peak at it tonight. I dimmed it to 30% and we will see what they think.

11 Likes

Lovin’ the thread Boozer! Really sounds like you landed just where you’re supposed to be! Good luck with the gals, I’ll keep dropping in!

:call_me_hand:

6 Likes

shuck em honey

ready to blanch

In the cooling tank

And victory!

19 Likes

Love this thread! Looks like you got it goin on, doing things I’m sure we’ve all dreamed of at one point or another. My kinda lifestyle :tumbler_glass:

6 Likes

Not the most appealing jobs but effective

And canned lard good for the year!

20 Likes

Tip of day for chicken farmers. To grow grass only way I can do it is to trap seed then straw then chicken wire to ground. Pain in the ass but it works.

6 Likes

Did some cleaning up on plants and put these girls to the dark. Everyone looking ok right now. Not updating enough because of my dumb ass taking in a project that has proven more labor than I imagined.

Here is my cbd project I got a license and figure this was my trial run until canibus goes legal here. 120 plants have proven to be a “job”.

14 Likes

We have a silver laced rooster as well. He’s a little dude but he’s fiesty. Best rooster ever, he’s fought off a bear twice and lived to tell about it. Tough dude.

3 Likes

Oh yeah and then a chicken broke its leg so I have a casualty in the basement. Fml😂

6 Likes

First thing this morning I finally took a break from 3 day trim jail. Chickens make me laugh. That rooster starts first thing in morning and never stops mating the entire day. Anywho I figured I’d give my two cents on auto doors.
If you ever thought bout one, get it. Very good investment. It’s part of a series of things that allow us to leave the farm for two or three days at a time. The little solar panel is enough.
Also this waterer holds 14 gallons and stays fresh in this

Threw some nipples in the bottom and done

Ok done rambling back to jail. Have a good weekend og.

16 Likes

We had an auto door once. Then a bear decided that was enough of that.

3 Likes