Hopar Valley, Pakistan 2024 organic outdoor grow SoCal 2024

Howdy gardeners, I’m new here and this is my first grow journal ever other than documenting my outdoor grows on Instagram. I look forward to your feedback as I tread into new waters.
In the recent past few days I received a selection of Hopar Valley, Pakistan seeds sourced by Kevin Jodrey and Sovereign Farmers/Xochitl Seeds from instagram via yerbataro.
Jodrey sent me 4 different varieties with notes on plant appearance, structure and nose. I selected 6 of one and 7 of another and dropped them in water. All sprouted within 24 hours and were planted in potting mix in Solo cups. They’ve since begun to emerge.
The next day, I got another 10 seeds labeled Hopar Valley #2 2023. Yerbataro asked me to sprout and grow them out and make a grow journal. Those all immediately went into water and 8 out of 10 sprouted within 24 hours with the last 2 sprouting a few hours later. All are planted in potting mix in Solo cups.
So I will add some photos and notes along the way. Cheers and thanks for playing along!

!
seeds and notes from Kevin Jodrey
20240618_075044|500x500 !
20240618_220353|500x500 !
Seeds from Sovereign Farmers via Yerbataro on IG
20240621_113824|500x500
Jodrey’s 6G beans taking off. Just a few days from pop, to drop and up out of the earth.
!
this one might be damping off. shit happens. we will rebuild.

Alright here is an update on the Hopar summer grow. I had 100% germ on all the seeds within 48 hours but currently only 5/10 of the Sovereign Farmers testers are above ground. One looks eaten and 4 haven’t emerged … yet.

The tiny plants look very dark green and have purple stems.

Of the Kevin Jodrey selections The 6G are bright green as described and 7 of 7 up. 6 going strong and 1 slightly stunted. The 7a plants are 5/7 above ground and also look healthy.

Thank you all for the continued discussion and input. I really dig the positive vibes.
Am I doing this correctly? Updating the growlog by editing the original post?
Happy Monday gardeners. Here is a Hopar update. I got 5 of 10 sprouted @Sovereign_Farmers selection 2 to come up and make baby plants. 6 of 7 on the Jodrey 6G and 4 of 6 on the 7A. So I can do better in future grows on my sprout to medium transfer timing and technique as I feel I should have 100% above ground. I take responsiblity and continue to grow with love.

33 Likes

Welcome! Your project sounds great. I will be watching. :grin: :rainbow:

7 Likes

Always interested in strains from that region, following along … popcorn

7 Likes

Welcome to OG, @cabbagepaps! It sounds like you’ve got it going on! :+1:

7 Likes

This should be a good one! Welcome to OG!

3 Likes

Awesome, I will have to find out what ILE 2023 hopar looks like

2 Likes

Interesting run!

2 Likes

your setup is awesome.

1 Like

Thanks that is kind of you to say.

1 Like

A little advice for these super dry region types. Water around the edges of the Cups and only when the soil thoroughly dries. Only water half of what you normally water and never water a second time. You want to keep the soil on the edge of dry for the first couple weeks to avoid damp off. If a plant starts to damp off and you catch it early enough dig out around the stem to leave it exposed to the air and it will usually live. Once they tip over it’s really hard to save them, but even then you can cut off the top of the plant from the rot ( 45 degree angle, like a cutting) and replant it and sometimes it will take. Once the plants have a few sets of leaves you can water normally but they still prefer less than most. Let it dry well in between waterings and the plants will be happy. I killed plenty of dry region plants before figuring this out😁

8 Likes

I had a few plants recently that just didn’t like to be watered… very frustrating to say the least haha they weren’t even landrace but definitely heavy on the afghani genetics

4 Likes

I tell people to wait until you think they’re going to die from thirst and then give them a drink😆
They irrigate well over there in Hopar, but the plants must dry out thoroughly between waterings due to the low humidity levels and intense Sun

1 Like

The most annoying part is they droop cause they’re thirsty then they droop cause I watered them… lol

5 Likes

Lol. I’ve been there. They like to sip the water rather than chug it… but I bet when they are older they are water pigs. Like camels. They don’t need to drink all the time but when they do they suck it right down and drink the Bowl dry in a hurry.
I was just talking with @allotment about this. He is growing some beldia, also from the desert. They suck down water like it’s going out of style if you give it to them But if you don’t, they’re fine too.

4 Likes

Years ago, I had some bagseed from this nasty bud we used to get, it’s what i used to refer to as the chronic, it was this nasty funky smelling bud, that left an even nastier chemical, burnt crack, smell in the air, and a poisonous metallic taste in the mouth, and crossed it to a supposed mazar, and gave the seeds to some folks i know that live in the desert, no shade, no trees or any of that, so it’s full sun all the time, and we used dynamite to blow up the ground to make the dirt like powder. doing that makes it so it holds the water better under the surface, kind of like making the soil moister control without adding anything. they were watering the stuff everyday with quite a bit of water, and the plants loved it, but i told them to not water them and make seeds, and years later the leaves of the offspring don’t droop as much and have taken on a thick plastic like texture, almost like a strange succulent. it’s pretty cool. they make big ass seeds too, just like the middle eastern ones. deliberate outdoor conditioning for future generations of specific projects is often overlooked i think… sorry to go off, the conversation just makes me think about stuff… carry on!

7 Likes

Sounds like some good smoke. Those Southern Afghans get those real thick leaves…and seeds can be huge. Neat.

5 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7WfYI8od6y/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Photo of #2 selection

3 Likes

Hello my frend. Yerbatero_ sent me the link of this grow which you are doing and I made myself a account to this platform first time.
I am very glad that you are growing seeds from my village farm which is Hopar Nagar Valley in Gilgit.
I recently got in touch with Yerbatero after Some people of indian landrace make big money from my village and give back nothing to farmers. Yerbatero encouraged me educated to step up and told me I can fix the problem. He guided me with the work as recently he was also betrayed by the indian seed dealer guys.
I am young and crazy for Cannabis and I do selection of my own farm by my own hand. I am also went into 2nd year University studying arts and humanities as my father who is a farmer told me that its the only way of refuge against the crisis of knowledge and to gain exposure of outer world.
I am happy to join this community and meet people like you and work for my passion too.

15 Likes

Hello @Sovereign_Farmers and welcome to OG, I am Indian and really upset that your village was used …are you talking about the Indian landrace team specificlly if so I want you to specify and bring it out in the community. I have been aware that certain people are doing this sort of exploitation and also creating misinformation about strains and other data.
:v:&:green_heart:

6 Likes

Correct the Indian landrace exchange people are also sending Hybrid seeds to farmers in ancestral regions and destroying the purity of the regions.

9 Likes