Hormonal Issue

So, here’s one I’ve never seen. One of my customers (a home grower) had a light timer fail to turn off. 3 weeks into bloom, the ladies were exposed to 48 hours of light. They noticed yellow leaves from the stress which tipped them off there was a problem. Now, during Week 4, at least one plant has lost apical dominance and there are mutated leaves with flowers forming at the rachis (picture shown). I advised my customer to continue the bloom photoperiod, monitor the lights closely, and BOLO for male flowers to form. Has anyone else seen this or know any other pitfalls? TIA

5 Likes

It’s rare but I’ve seen photos of it before.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

What feeding shedual do you have your customer on ??? Not related , just curious : )
I think the plant was always going to do that even without the 48 lights on probably

1 Like

It’s a soil grow augmented with compost tea.

2 Likes

What does CLRConsulting stand for ?

Cannabis Labs Research & Consulting. We are a small firm that helps folks design & build their grow rooms, rotation schedules, perform plant troubleshooting, and run custom experimentation for commercial products, genetics, & photoperiod optimization.

3 Likes

Good to know . I am glad I am not one of the people paying for the expertise of a free weed forum .
FYI what you are showing is not that uncommon . Especially from Chem genetics.
You should let your customers know that what they pay you for and then some , they can get here on OG for free .

I mean if what you said is what people pay you for then why are you here asking us ? You sound like the classic green rusher and with all the love in the world IMHO you are a prime example of everything wrong with what has happened to this amazing plant.

3 Likes

I point them here all the time. But no, what we provide is a a network of contractors to build out the entire end to end setup. Plus, commercial growers don’t want to dedicate space and keep researchers on staff for short projects and experiments. So, they can hardly get my services here for free.

2 Likes

Plus, I firmly believe in open sharing of information. But thanks for judging me without knowing anything about what I do, believe, or stand for.

I said what I had to say . Make of it what you want .
Greenrush consulting firms are no friends of medical patients , therefor they are no friends of mine . Nothing personal , just business as they like to say .

1 Like

Yeah, except you didn’t have to say that. You’re just a bully on the internet. May the karma train stop at your doorstep.

Playing the victim card lol The good ol stand by .

How pointing out what I have is bullying is beyond me . But then again so is how anyone would pay a consulting firm of experts for the experienced expertise of others.

Anyway goodluck and thank you for helping to make the world a better place by trying to cash in on the greenrush .

I’ve been reading OG and growing for 20 years. I minored in agricultural science in college. I’ve never seen anything like this. It means that the there’s a disruption in cell specialization caused by some sort of hormone imbalance; Probably with Auxins or cytokinins. I did this work (and work for medical patients on several occasions) pro bono. This is my first time posting on OG. Everyone here is usually so helpful. Before now, I wouldn’t dream of intentionally insulting someone here. But if you aren’t going to be helpful, kindly STFU.

1 Like

The biggest issue here isn’t the mutation on the fan leaf as much as it is the loss of apical dominance (A fancy term for ‘it stopped growing at the growth shoots’) and light stress can cause hermaphrodite issues. The mutation is just a significant symptom because it’s the plant equivalent of growing a vagina on your forehead. This indicates the aforementioned hormonal imbalance as the root cause of all the issues. While some commenters indicate that genetics are a factor for this, if that were the case, then the clones next to it would share this phenotype, which they don’t. In my mind, it’s definitely stress induced. But it’s up the the plant to heal itself now that the photoperiod is corrected. If growth doesn’t return in the next week, I will recommend they pull it to prevent any male flowers damaging their harvest. The buds aren’t going to get any bigger and the risk of a male flower hiding and popping is too great.

1 Like

My sssdh likes to put out calyxes there too, but it always does it. Very interesting…

1 Like

This cultivar is a clone of a F1 Hybrid cross between GG#3 and Clementine put out by True Tree Ranch called Monkey Biz. It’s my first time seeing it ever. More significantly, it’s the only time I’ve seen it on this cultivar. The only leaf on the only plant. What I’ve learned here though is that it’s not as significant as I thought it to be. But again, the issue isn’t the calyx, but that the plant stopped growing.

You might be in a bit of an overthink on this one. But working with a mongrel cultivar like that you are very right about the BOLO warning. Easier to simplify it and say that the plant is all fucked up and is going through PTSD from environmental damage, Kinda like global warming (smile). She might recover, she might not – but she will still be prone to jump into the hermi zone without careful twice daily inspection, you know? If that happens then bad mojo is had by all.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree most likely stalled due to hormonal stress. She will likely work out of it.

Not that rare. Id still cull and slip in a backup

1 Like

As per the petiole flower, yes pretty common. In my experience the plants that exhibit this cool trait, haven’t shown any other detrimental (or positive either) mutation or growth abnormalities. The only other semi-unique growth that accompanied this trait was some ‘devils horn’ upright leaf growth of the smallest 2 leaves on a stem. Again, this was something ‘neat’, but not a plus or a minus. One of these plants was a personal favourite an older knock-off Strawberry kush crossed with a subcool querkle male. One pheno of the 3 main ones has both these traits, flower in the leaf and devils horns.image

5 Likes