Hormone and sex manipulation on cuttings, past research on hemp

:fire:

I wonder if injecting the florel into the center of the stem, ala this other STS treatment idea

that seems to be a one and done on reversing females, would work better?
Maybe injecting the males would lead to a more female like appearance? :thinking:
For sure a better result Iā€™d think. Might cut down on the number of S1ā€™s made during the process though too :thinking:

2 Likes

I love the energy over here ^^

Now you have to share with us your feedback on these maleā€™s seeds Cactus (s1) lol You can let them sit like the photo on the tray one week (in the dark) and directly germinate them on the fly, if any.

Beyond your quest for the essential truth, iā€™ve not yet understood the leverage aimed. Mechanically lower the herms in this thai or hunting an alternative of sterility ?

3 Likes

Maybe I should go ahead and plants some and see if they are viable? I think they have as good a chance of growing as the reversed females why not? Will see what happens. I think there are a few ideas that might explain a few theories that are starting to make sense. I bet they will be more ethylene stable thus makes TEā€™s less viable? Maybe the ethylene is the result and thus methylates the ditchy X and Y and Shuts the TEā€™s down? Still the ethylene doesnā€™t stop the pollen from forming and that is the fly in the ointment but thinking I got an idea.

5 Likes

The hermaphroditic trait is epigenetic in my opinion. The two Xā€™s might exert more of a situation to suppress the Transposable elements and can form pistils because they have a higher amount of recombination. With a male the process is carried out because of the increase in TEā€™s that exert an epigentic response to the Ysā€™ lack of recombination thus make it easier for the TEā€™s multiply and exert their influence on this process. Pollen forms due to this homozygous state because of the compromised X or we call (Y) chromosome because it lacks recombination. Not sure if the Y chromosome is really has much action other than it carries a very high TE load. Transposable elements thus exert an epistatic process that thus suppresses the formation of the pistils to eventually form pollen. When looking at the Transposable Elements their abundance is probably the culprit for the inter-sex type trait and either methylates the seed portion and/or acetylates the pollen formation.

Still looking at the Retro-transposons and their functions but it seems this would be a place to look. Still a mess in my head but something will eventually make sense but maybe not. Mitochondria might be the reason for sterility for YY is something I donā€™t understand yet but this could be an avenue? I think we need to look at the plant as parts for they are not all the same but combinations of the homologous chromosome with different alleles depending on what parent gets turned on or off within the plant itself; so going to have variability within the plant from all these processes. Calico Kitty tells us that huh!

6 Likes

You have always loss on a batch, but i donā€™t see a specific reason to donā€™t see these seeds germinating. If you feeded rightly the male, itā€™s all good.

For me herms are entirely an epigenetic phenomenon with cannabis, itā€™s why we canā€™t screen their DNA at seedlings stage (but males yes). Itā€™s also why iā€™m so rude and creative on this matter with my plants in general ^^

Itā€™s not so far from your point of view, at the difference that i donā€™t consider hermaphroditism in cannabis as a trait. Hemp teached me to consider it more as a ā€œmonoic vs dioicā€ grade.

Well i scrolled back the 145 posts and i donā€™t make the line between the dots on the TE term youā€™re using. If you donā€™t mind to consolidate the acronym (transposable element ?) ā€¦ will be useful for my understanding ^^

3 Likes

TEā€™s are different in that they have multiple types. Some move around in the genome, some get stuck in the genome but can be activated due to certain acetylating or methylating processes from TEā€™s that can cause changes in the RNAs. Some can act by moving in and out of nucleus and thus cause RNAā€™s to exert influence on the ribosomes and/or even the mitochondria by formation of proteins. Still need to get more up to speed on the siRNAā€™s and mRNAā€™s, and **RNAā€™s. Still more reading and studying but starting to see the patterns works kinda like a big machine but very purposeful and dynamic!

5 Likes

So itā€™s the starting point to study sterility, itā€™s cocky i like that.

Now to interact this deep with a restricted/controlled meiosis, at the point to talk about RNA manipulation ā€¦ you have to muscle quite a bit the game buddy. Take care to donā€™t fall in the sur-interpretation of what will give these seeds. And share your ratios !^^ I find this experiment interesting specifically because you used a thaĆÆ.

2 Likes

Mother nature hate repetitions ^^ We all broke our teeths over this lol

So whatā€™s the next step, i donā€™t read yet the place of a selective pressure on this nice craziness.

2 Likes

Yes this is like Nature abhors a vacuum, but still need to clean?

2 Likes

She just need attention, and a good dose of constancy. Then she become very generous and punishing at a time ^^ Itā€™s becoming quite poetic now lol

2 Likes

Aį¹…gulimāla and the Turtle :grinning:

1 Like

https://nph.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/nph.16016

2 Likes

Good to see you Cactus :handshake:

Iā€™ll give those documents a read this weekend.
Iā€™ve been pretty quiet around these parts lately, itā€™s the calm before the storm haha

3 Likes

I do think some procress is halted or simply not being initiatedā€¦ for a time i kept thinking about how in the 90s some nutrient manufacturers sold contaminated plant food and got suedā€¦ cleaned up their products and around that time skunk ghosted.

Someone pointed out that a certain element used to be mined from the ground is now some cattle concoction. All nutrient lines use the cattle soup now with a different chemical formulae.

But organic betta :wink:

5 Likes

You are awesome now I am more confident about my thinking @CkNugz :star_struck::star_struck::+1::+1: Thank You!!

2 Likes

The Y chromosome carries fewer genes than the X chromosome, and many of its genes are involved in the regulation of male-specific traits. In some plant species, the presence of the Y chromosome can have a more significant impact on sex determination, while in others, the X chromosome is more influential.

2 Likes

Yeah why not? I think the big push to get the smells to be more subdued to be less noticeable too ok avoid detection was a big reason selection for super smelly types was implemented.

1 Like

X neccessary for Ovule.pdf (986.5 KB)

3 Likes

Itā€™s the reverse with cannabis and hemp.
And how seedlingā€™s PCRs work, they detect males only. Then females per elimination.

2 Likes

Recent advances in Cannabis sativa genomics research - PMC.

2 Likes