How do i find out the right npk for my plants?

First timer and my pkants are showing either signs of too much light or not enough of nutrients. How do i fix this problem? I have already changed the lighting and heat. But how will i know the balance for the nutrients? Pls help!

I recommend picking up a two or three part feed formula for cannabis and learn from research why it works. Trial and error will take care of the rest. The N-P-K vary depending on ingredients and how they breakdown. It would take several chapters to explain why and when plants need nutrients.

2 Likes

Hello @Gr8lyluvd!

Welcome to Overgrow.

Please share more about your grow conditions, so we can help you… See for example here and answer us most important first questions Template for support

@ryasco is right that you could use some pre-mixed formula for cannabis if it is available in your country.

1 Like

Or forget all about NPK values. Run to your local feed store and grab a bag of kelp meal and make kelp meal teas. Soak in water for 24hrs. Then strain and feed. Or instant kelp meal teas are amazing too!. Itll be a bit more expensive but youll have enough to last you atleast 2 years. Keep it simple. I never thought about NPK values ever and check out my garden:)

2 Likes

Always start feeding at low rates, if the directions of the product you bought say 1 tablespoon per gallon start with 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. I strongly suggest that you start out with a NPK soil test don’t feed anything until something is depleted( or low). Different products have different NPK ratings start with something very gentle. A product at 20-20-20 is aggressive a product at 10-10-10 is gentler but still start that at 25% of recommendation. There are many kinds of product available. Look at some ads. Some products like superthrive are very very gentle in N but have no P or K. I am an experienced grower I use a product that is 20-20-20, I mix it really light for fresh young plants and ramp it up to full strength over time. When you get to flowering stage you will need a Bloom product with less N but more P and K. You have a lot of product choices to make organic or not. Don’t let the number of choices freak you out. Now is a good time to look at our grow FAQS I the safest thing is just water , then add when the soil is mostly used up.

4 Likes

The template is a great idea. I don’t know all the details, but my son should have more info when he gets home from work. We are both new but eagerly wanting to learn the rights and wrongs. We do have a soil that has all 3 nutrients, but also have a bottle of plant food with all as well. Praying we can figure this out and poss have our babies blossom.

I always like starting with the obvious! What’s your soil there? Looks like a lot of bark in the mix… soil also looks like it’s missing some good aeration!

Edit: the bottle picture states: good for flowering which would led to higher phosphorus and potassium inputs not sure at this point you should be feeding with this product at this point in the veg cycle!

2 Likes

Ty for letting us know… we spoke and he measured between the light and the plants and it’s slightly over a foot. Also, he does not have a thermometer for heat or humidity, that will be purchased soon. Also, he had seen a few nat looking kind of bugs. Here are a couple pics we took . Hope they help.

Put your hand at canopy level and if it warms up pretty good your way to close! What kind of lights u running?

1 Like

The light is. 120 volt 96 watt

a

yes flowering nutrients have less nitrogen, could be slightly N deficient. grab some MEGACROP it’s a complete 1 part nutrient specially formulated for cannabis and you can also get a 230g bag FREE just pay shipping. my plants love it… for beginner growing i think 1 part nutrients are the easiest, and cheapest, K.I.S.S. right!

3 Likes

I’ve looked at Megacrop before. I would think it would grow some good product.

apparently the company started out by knocking off everyone elses lines like they had the AN line, GH line, H&G etc and like 40 different products, now they just want to sell 1 fully complete product

With our plants, we are curious if using the florescent lighting pictured, verses the other lighting in this pic is better for growth, or ate they both about equal?

i think you want those fluoros closer to the little guys, i’ve never used them myself… and it really depends on the wattage or lumen output of the 2 lights

https://www.amazon.com/Rapitest-Premium-Flower-Garden-Tester/dp/B0189GFI94/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1509388682&sr=8-7&keywords=soil+test&dpID=51d9OtxL9ML&preST=SY300_QL70&dpSrc=srch