How do I know if I have a real gg#4 cut?

How do I know if my cut of gg#4 is the real deal? I bought if from Archive-Portland https://www.leafly.com/dispensary-info/archive-portland but it doesn’t quite look like I was expecting.

GG#4 Photo

Now my keeper pheno of Primal Punch (GG#4 X Banana Punch) from Oceangrown seeds https://www.oceangrownseeds.com/strain-guide/true-breed/primal-punch/ looks more like I would think the gg#4 should look.

Primal Punch Photo

Of course I’ll clone her and flower her out, and I way over paid probably, but I really wanted a GG#4 cut - do you think I got it?

8 Likes

The only way to tell is to flower it out and smoke it

5 Likes

All the petioles on the real gg4 should be red, in veg. Ive seen some gg4s where the petioles lose the red in flower. Also look for the famous blade twist. So far yours looks like it has the red petioles on every petiole. I dont see the leaf twist but you should let it grow out more to be sure you got the real deal.

4 Likes

If it’s from Archive I’d feel comfortable that it’s legit. Fletch and Docta know their shit and are highly respected/connected. I can’t see him putting out cuts with false names. Of course there’s always room for human error and mislabelling.

7 Likes

That’s what I like to hear.

5 Likes

if it makes :banana: :banana::banana: :banana::banana: :laughing:

Sorry… uncalled for but couldn’t resist. :blush:

:evergreen_tree:

10 Likes

You said it before I could. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

How do you know if real, other than from joesy himself, can’t be certain… look at his IG there are plenty of pictures to cross reference to. Veg pics are hard to compare tho

3 Likes

You dont without genetic testing… Fun Thing about genotypical and phenotypical expression is sometimes there is absolutely no way to tell a plant from another plant
Also very hard to know who has what cut and if it’s original unless you were the person that grew the plant and distributed the cuts .

Either way it’s a good looking plant… But my thought, like many here is in jest as well -

If you wanna know if it’s GG4, blow some air on it and see of it grows nanners… If it does, you nailed it :sunglasses::wink:

10 Likes

Thanks guys, err people. :slight_smile: I really appreciate your input.

3 Likes

This worries me. I had a smaller unsexed plant that was catching a breeze right in the middle. On purpose as i wanted to strengthen the main. Male.
Culled him. Rearranged them.
Closest to the fan: Male.

The fan is much higher now. All females so far.

5 Likes

The clone is not enough mature for now to decipher it, let him one good month of veg and it will be more clear.

4 Likes

Only true way is genetic testing

3 Likes

No worries over a fan causing hermies or males. I believe @toastyjakes was pointing out a well known characteristic of GG4.

5 Likes

Yea… It’s one of those strains that has more of a tendency to do so… But what is a seed or two in your personal smoke?

3 Likes

I have seen just about as many counterfeit cuts as the real thing. If you can’t place faith in your supplier(s) illegitimacy, your just wasting your time and money - although it seems that there are several people who have vouched for this particular suppliers reputation and integrity here. Looks like you have the real thing but I won’t try to compare due to the hydroponic gain in size and mass. All to often others think that I have a different cut of this and that. Yet these same people fail to see the minor changes between their own rooms and environment.

5 Likes

So to finish out this thread, attached is a photo of a typical leaf, it does have the twist, and the plant is a mag hog, I’m up to 1.4gm per gal of magnesium sulfate and still I’m not keeping up with it (I grow in (buffered) coco with Jacks/cal-nit/epsom salts at 3.6/2.4/1.4 grams per gal and feeding three times a day) I’m not sure I can go higher with the epsom?

Anyway, I put it to flower today - we will see :slight_smile:

I did leave the fans in… haha

Thank you all…

4 Likes

Yes Ive heard that the gg4 loves mag. Im nursing a cut of her I was gifted back to health to get her to root but Ill be watching your grow. Also, In my opinion its not a good idea to send a plant into flower when shes not healthy. Its unwanted stress. Feed epsom salts until she doesnt show deficiency. Then write down how much she likes and dial it in.

1 Like

Any chance Ph is an issue?

2 Likes

wow great points both,

I PH at 5.8 but this batch is 5.7, so a bit low, my next batch will be about 6. I mix once a week +/- (55 gal). My well water comes out at 70 to 130 PPM but is has little carbonate hardness so changing PH has little resistance and it’s steady once set.

I would define her as hungry, I upped to 1.4 epsom last weekend (today is Tuesday) I hope it’s enough but I’m willing to go as high as I need to. I sent her to flower hungry because she is growing at a rate that would cause issues - I only have 8 foot minus trays,lights, etc.

2 Likes