How do you clone?

That’ll work fine. Cutting in a glass of water is probably the easiest and most consistent way to get roots, it’s just sloooow. I would skip the misting it will be humid enough in the done without it, when rooting in water a dome isn’t really needed most of the time anyways.

4 Likes

The condition of the mums and how they are prepped befor taking cuts , plays a big role in the success rate and speed of cuts rooting
: )

6 Likes

That is helpful. I appreciate that. Seeing some of the setups in here has me thinking for the future.

From what I have gathered it will be 14-18 days or so before I root them. Is that pretty typical?

I have plans to frame out a room in my garage that will have a compartment for clones and I will surely use some of the info from in here to put together a good setup. Until then, I just wanted to preserve these genetics because they really seem to be strong and pest resistant.

3 Likes

Generally 2-4 weeks for clones in water… usually closer the to the 3-4 week side.

2 Likes

Sounds about right. When I clone in the winter and it’s chilly it takes longer than if the temps are more reasonable.

I’ve had them root as fast as 9 days and as slow as 21 days.

I don’t use rooting hormone.

All the best

4 Likes

That might be typical, but it’s been about 20 years since I tried cloning that way. I remember a thread on the old OG that suggested using one of those AOL CD that they sent out all the time to place on top of the glass and suspending the clone in the water. I’m not sure if I used tap water or distilled water, but I do know it took a long time.

So I did a little cloning experiment at the start of this month. I cut six clones from the same plant. They were all equally sized, and the plant was super healthy when I took the clones. I placed 5 of them in my cloning bucket, which I describe here:

…and I treated one clone with Clonex and placed it in a peat pellet, which was hydrated with distilled water. I then placed the peat pellet clone under the same dome that sits on my cloning bucket. 7 days later, I had strong roots sticking out all around the peat pellet, and most of the hydro clones were showing roots, too. However, the hydro clones were not ready to be weened, but I was able to plant the peat pellet clone into soil and take it out from the dome

Today, 18 days later, you can see all 6 clones. The one started in the peat pellet is slightly bigger than the others, but all are looking healthy and strong.

Edit: oops - forgot the pics:

Moral of the story, you can clone without much effort or tools. However, if you want healthy clones that are more likely to survive and thrive sooner, therefore ready to veg and flower sooner, it might be wise to spend a few bucks to ensure you’re giving them the best possible chance. From my experiment, the peat pellet cost pennies and the amount of Clonex was probably less than a penny - but the results are priceless to me.

FWIW - even if you stick with your water and drinking glass “technique”, you many want to take multiple cuttings to clone - just in case one or more of them fail.

10 Likes

I actually did one this way recently. Just drilled a hole in a little container like this sample of dr zymes, put in the clone and some water into the humidity dome.

It wasn’t fast, but it worked. Opaque plastic works better. The one i tried in a clear shot glass didn’t do anything.

10 Likes

Wow thank you so much for this. I kind of figured utilizing some help with cloning was going to allow for better results but here we can see first hand.

When I have a proper setup/space for cloning I would love to do some experiments myself to see what seems to work best for me.

Unfortunately my hydro shop is closed down at the moment and I am having to resort to any means necessary.

I used a plastic bag with a hole through it to suspend mine in their water. I am not in a rush, just hoping to preserve this pheno because it has really been a vigorous grower.

3 Likes

A thing of beauty…all those clones!

3 Likes

You can get Clonex from a variety of places, including Amazon and ebay. You can get 72 peat pellets and a humidity tray and dome from Walmart for about $10.

In any case, since you definitely want to keep growing that plant you took your cutting from, you should take more than one. And like @lefthandseeds said, it’s best to NOT use a clear glass.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks @bandit306!

3 Likes

That is something I am going to switch out right now. Trying to find a proper vessel to use that isnt clear haha.

Do you prefer the Clonex Gel or the solution? Not sure if they are interchangeable or if they are different uses.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

The gel. This is what I use:

That seller has a 15ml packet for around $8 shipped (in the US).

4 Likes

When I did it first time.

I Cut an entire branch off.
Then sunk it into water. To make the cuttings (the clones).
Made small incions on the bottom. Then moved to dip them in roting gel.
Then wetten and swelled peat briquettes. Stuck one clone in each.
Then I put each one in a glass. Added a plastic 3L bag on top.
Spraysed water on the leaves and on the inside to make a mist. insiade the bag.
Then put it all under a 150Watt HPS.
One week then I had insane amount of roots coming out of it.

Planted them… They got big. Was gonna use them as mamma plants.
Note: I took cuttings of each plant I had planted from seed.
You could easily tell which female had which genes although I kept track of them.

I sprayed only one or twice the inside. The cuttings or clones, live of water from the leaves when cut.

3 Likes

That reply made my evening, Hahahahaha :smiley:

Its still working like a dream lol… I did it with 13 cuttings a through them in the same pot in the backyard lol.

1 Like

In my opinion dwc in a fish tank, with fish in it, is the best, ive had 100% success with big roots and new leaves in 2 weeks. No gels or powders. Florescent grow lights are best

4 Likes

Hello everyone… Thinking of trying out cloning for the first time…

I have to hand! a nice bush vegged mumma plant…

Rhizotonic
3 Part nutes
Calmag etc etc

I also have Root Riot cubes…

I was under the impression people soak the root riot with very small dose of 3 part nutes… say 1ml per litre…

Then make a foliar spray with the rhizotonic… for spraying?

would this be a good way of starting them off?

I also have the clonex gel too!..

Would be great to hear a little simple step by step from someone using what i have…

Thank you. BM

1 Like

I had a very tough time getting started cloning before finally settling on something that worked.for me
I usually dont feed too much to the moms and cut when the moon is right and use a brand new single edge razor.
The tupperware shoe box has been disinfected with bleach water and allowed to dry. I likewise wash all.my little plastic seed starter pots in bleach water. I fill the bottom one inch of the tupperware container with new perlite. I then fill the starter pots with perlite about three fourths or fice eighths full of new perlite.
I cut the clones with a clean new razor blade about an inch below a leaf and make sure theres enough room to cut again. My clones are usually about three or four inches tall and have one leaf to the side that i remove… I have clonex gel and powder both ready in shot glasses( not using the original container) i have water with a Small amount of great white mychorizae or other mychorizae in my tupper ware container about two inches deep and my perlite filled pots in the container.
I use a pencil or pen to make a three quaterinch deep.hole on each pot. The pots should have a water level just under this hole.
I then take the cut and drop immediately into water then have anew paper towel on the counter where i take a razor blader and cut a forty five degree angle below the leaf stem and cut the leaf off and scrape rhe outer layer of the stem off down to the cut and immediately stick in gel then the powder and into the perlite with hole in it. I trim the leaves to remove points that will touch each other or the perlite or the top.or sides of the tupperware box.
I proceed this way jntil they are all placed in pots.i put a clean and clear lid over the box
I place the box under a thirteen watt cfl spiral light bulb in a cabinet away from every thing. Twenty four hours later spray with a store bought hydrogen peroxide solution on each clone near the base where it meets the perlite.
The following days i spray water in the contianer daily not over doing it but keeping it moist. After three days or so i remove the.lid for an hour and put it back. for about a week i spray the inside of the box with water and begin to remove the lid for longer periods. At this point you have to be able to kind of gauge how they are doing…if they wilt quickly…put the lid back sooner etc.
I have heard if they dont die in forty eight hours you should be able to root them this is mostly true although i have lost them to mold when not taking sterile precautions… do not allow any dirt or foreign matter in your box.
Your room needs to be semi humid. If its really dry you will have more issues. Do not use too much…light at first. Again you have to learn how.much to use with experience.
Usually after ten days to two weeks you will see some signs of leaf growth and can remove a pot to see wht the roots are.doing. the advantage of the perlite is that if you are careful you can remove the clone without tearing the roots. In fact after a couole weeks you can safely float the plant/clone out in a tub of water to see whats up if there are no roots sicking out of the bottom by that time, but normally with patience youll see roots sticking out of the pot into the perlite bed.
I only use tiny amountsof nutrients and only once or twice towards the end of the first ten days or so. It seema like i used something with worm castings and mychorizae?
I do not think its needed though.
You can very easily overdo it or add germs bacteria etc and kill your clones.
I find its hard to save one that has started to mold.
When they have a good root system you can pop them into slightly larger pots with a moist happy frog mix that has some…perlite added and begin giving them more light. You can also use peat.moss in the mix but it must be ‘charged’ or it will repel water.
I love my spiral cfls for these tender babies and use a bigger bulb about 35 or 40/watt six inches over them until they get going good…then take out doors gradually or start them under an weak LED light before upping the lumens
I keep my moms under cfls as well.and the clones come out better i think. I like to spread my momtherplants limbs out and i can train her to give me a couple of dozen clones every four weeks.

1 Like

ex cloner. I have tried lots of methods this one takes up the least space and most efficient with time and % of rootage