How do you clone?

5 Likes

I used to use clone machines but when doing 1000s it is easier to use slabs and shelves. I used to run like 4 really big clone machines and would put 2 per site but it’s a pain to deal with all the water and the bullshit but if I was running lower numbers I’d def be in a cloner and the main draw back is I need my clones mobile to go to different grows and the clone machines arent an option for that

3 Likes

Picked up some 2inch nursery pots on the net, small enough to fit into cups. Clean coco in these little pots, clean off clone while it’s on the mother, clip em at an angle dip in clonex and shove into the coco. Rinse out cups in hot water to build up steam, then drop clone in 2inch pots into steaming cups cover and forget em. In about a week or so I began to harden clones by removing lids in increments until plants can hang out without the lids. I’ll keep my clones in these pots til I need to transplant in 16 ounce Dixies.

this is my nursery cab, keeping all stages until rapid veg preparing for flower. I usually get around 99% success rate with that 1% being user error. But this system allows me to store around 15 different strains on demand :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

aw man. I’m about to either build or buy an aerocloner soon but I’ve had really good luck cloning with honey and root riots in a heated domed tray. Literally %100 success rates. I just grab some honey and put some in a small container like a ramiken, grab the plant, cut the shoot and immediately dip it into the honey, covering the entirety of the stem that’s going into the root riot. I don’t worry about any angles or anything, just snip, into the honey, and then stick it directly in an already moist and properly ph’d root riot or whatever and set in the heated dome tray. Come back in a few days to keep the no-nute ph~6.4 water level up and that’s it. Roots inside of two weeks every time.

My cheapo 20 site home made cloner . 100% success rate . Currently not in use .

4 Likes

Did you just D.Y.I that thing by cutting holes into the lid of a ten dollar bin that you had filled with water? is there a pump or bubbler in it? You just stuffed rock wool in holes? Pardon the pun lol

No i bought this from cloneking

cheap easy :slight_smile: no skill needed

2 Likes

Very similar to mine except the rockwool . Nice and easy .

Followed to OpenG. Nice post.

How close is the water level to the stem? Do the new roots respond to mist in the air? Splashing?

Low light?
Do you clip leaves and secondary growth heads?
Scrape stem?

1 Like

I used to use an aero cloner but when I moved commercial it’s easier to use trays. Snip the clone with a sharp pair of snips, dip in clonex and stuck in a root riot cube. The aero clones rooted a week sooner than my current tech

4 Likes

Yeah this works for me too

But I use yoghurt containers and coco

No hormone no aloe no honey

Only 95,%

2 Likes

Hey all,

Hope everyone is doing well and is healthy.

I have been running my grow for the past couple of months and I am really glad I got back into the hobby when I did. My grandmother passed away yesterday and I spent a great deal of time with my plants yesterday. Not being able to be with her during this ongoing pandemic has been hard and it is amazing how therapeutic these plants can be for us.

The Stardawg that I have been growing seems to be such a strong pheno that I am wanting to attempt to clone her. I do still have one remaining seed that I do not want to have to pop yet and the current plant I have been growing is just such a stunner.

I have read and watched as much info as I could but I just wanted to ask here first.

In your experience what is the most successful method of cloning without all of the fancy cloning products?

Do any of you clone without any rooting agents?

Do any of you clone directly into water for rooting and then into soil? Any of you clone directly into soil?

I have heard a ton of varying methods and I really just wanted to see what methods some of you prefer, as well as if you have had any success with more basic methods of cloning mentioned above.

I took a cut yesterday that is in normal dechlorinated tap water under a dome in my tent. I clipped the ends of my leaves and have been spray misting to allow for more water absorption. I am wondering if this setup has been used by any of you?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

That’ll work fine. Cutting in a glass of water is probably the easiest and most consistent way to get roots, it’s just sloooow. I would skip the misting it will be humid enough in the done without it, when rooting in water a dome isn’t really needed most of the time anyways.

4 Likes

The condition of the mums and how they are prepped befor taking cuts , plays a big role in the success rate and speed of cuts rooting
: )

6 Likes

That is helpful. I appreciate that. Seeing some of the setups in here has me thinking for the future.

From what I have gathered it will be 14-18 days or so before I root them. Is that pretty typical?

I have plans to frame out a room in my garage that will have a compartment for clones and I will surely use some of the info from in here to put together a good setup. Until then, I just wanted to preserve these genetics because they really seem to be strong and pest resistant.

3 Likes

Generally 2-4 weeks for clones in water… usually closer the to the 3-4 week side.

2 Likes

Sounds about right. When I clone in the winter and it’s chilly it takes longer than if the temps are more reasonable.

I’ve had them root as fast as 9 days and as slow as 21 days.

I don’t use rooting hormone.

All the best

4 Likes

That might be typical, but it’s been about 20 years since I tried cloning that way. I remember a thread on the old OG that suggested using one of those AOL CD that they sent out all the time to place on top of the glass and suspending the clone in the water. I’m not sure if I used tap water or distilled water, but I do know it took a long time.

So I did a little cloning experiment at the start of this month. I cut six clones from the same plant. They were all equally sized, and the plant was super healthy when I took the clones. I placed 5 of them in my cloning bucket, which I describe here:

…and I treated one clone with Clonex and placed it in a peat pellet, which was hydrated with distilled water. I then placed the peat pellet clone under the same dome that sits on my cloning bucket. 7 days later, I had strong roots sticking out all around the peat pellet, and most of the hydro clones were showing roots, too. However, the hydro clones were not ready to be weened, but I was able to plant the peat pellet clone into soil and take it out from the dome

Today, 18 days later, you can see all 6 clones. The one started in the peat pellet is slightly bigger than the others, but all are looking healthy and strong.

Edit: oops - forgot the pics:

Moral of the story, you can clone without much effort or tools. However, if you want healthy clones that are more likely to survive and thrive sooner, therefore ready to veg and flower sooner, it might be wise to spend a few bucks to ensure you’re giving them the best possible chance. From my experiment, the peat pellet cost pennies and the amount of Clonex was probably less than a penny - but the results are priceless to me.

FWIW - even if you stick with your water and drinking glass “technique”, you many want to take multiple cuttings to clone - just in case one or more of them fail.

10 Likes

I actually did one this way recently. Just drilled a hole in a little container like this sample of dr zymes, put in the clone and some water into the humidity dome.

It wasn’t fast, but it worked. Opaque plastic works better. The one i tried in a clear shot glass didn’t do anything.

10 Likes