Some questions on genetics and breeding

My questions come because of the number of while lable seed companies, and their “cloned strains”, which tend to be cheaper.

If the Orginal breeder created a strain, We will use Bruce Banner for an example here, that was if i remember right a cross between Sour Diesel and Strawberry Cough and someone else uses the same two strains but not the same exact plants, How close will they actually be to the original? IF they are using the right two plants.

I have some Auto Crosses I want to do, and I know that any auto I get will be a strain crossed with Ruderalis, and I am fine with THAT, but If I buy an auto version of Green Crack, I want to know that they acutally crossed Green Crack with Ruderalis and not some Generic Mid strain and then just slapped the Green Crack Name on it.

So if we know the strain is created by crossing say two IBL for example say Sour Diesel and Strawberry Cough which was used to create Bruce Banner, If I went out and bought a IBL Sour Diesel and Strawberry Cough, How close would I be to Bruce Banner, would it be close or would it be a wildly different strain?

Im a Science geek but most of my hobbies lean toward Chemistry, not genetics. lol

5 Likes

Unless you found the exact phenos used to make Bruce Banner then chances are you won’t be anywhere close to recreating the same strain. At least that’s my understanding of it.

7 Likes

Well I just used Bruce Banner as an example, because after watching “the abc’s of fake seeds” I know its an often copied strain. My concerns however run more toward the Auto versions of some the the older strains that the white lable companies are offering. I get that it will be a ruderalis cross, and im cool with that, but I would like to know, if I buy an auto green crack, Im actually getting green crack crossed with ruderalis and not someone crossing hindu kush with ruderalis and slapping the green crack name on it. If that makes any sense.

1 Like

Well it’s exactly like you said at the end there. The white labels are using anything and everything to make their crosses and 99 times out of 100 they aren’t using the named strain. It’s why a majority of people don’t like white labels.

3 Likes

Ok see I didnt know it was that bad with the white lable companies. I thought the dislike came from simply not using the exact phenos, I mean I knew some of the white lable companies were shitty and just lableing what ever as the name that would sell, but I thought there would at least be a few that were trustable to at least be using the right strains even if they were not the exact Phenos.

Like I have been told Fastbuds can be trusted by some and others have said they are white lable seeds and you never know what you will get.

2 Likes

If you want to get good cheap genetics then you can’t go wrong with Bodhi Seeds. All his crosses are genuine heirloom and landrace crosses. A great place to find Bodhi and other great genetics is www.greatlakesgenetics.com. I’d steer you towards Bodhi, jaws genetics and Tony Greens Tortured Beans. All great breeders that use high quality genetics in their breeding.

10 Likes

I was also told Humboldt Seed Company, CSI Humbolt(would love to but too expensive), mephisto, fastbuds

2 Likes

CSI is famous for their freebies, but you need to buy them from his website. I would highly recommend them as well as Mephisto. Fastbuds is a white label and I’d stay away from them.

2 Likes

Just to be sure when I say I was suggested fastbuds, this was the site suggested:

This is the one that is a white lable?

I ask because I know there is 3 humboldts 2 legit and 1 white lable, so need to be sure lol

1 Like

Yes, that site is a white label site. And csi’s website is

1 Like

So, are any the awards they say they won even legit? Or are the just totally fake?

1 Like

I couldn’t answer that, I don’t know. But if I were to guess then no. I’d guess those were the awards that the original breeders won and they’re riding coattails.

2 Likes

Bruce Banner is OG kush x Strawberry Diesel.
I ran Jason’s DHG breeders cut of # 3 last year.
True it has Cough in it but not directly.
To me it smells ranged from a strawberry shortcake doll from the 80’s with synthetic strawberry smells with original not sour Diesel end notes.

Why try to recreate though? :person_shrugging:
Plenty of options from him to run the real deal in seed form have come out over the years.

4 Likes

As he said it was an example.

1 Like

Ahh thanks for the correction, I got mixed up on what it was, I heard its lineage once. lol The linage was more a question of, do you really need the 100% Origianl to get Close to the effects of the original.

I ask, because for example, there is a cross I want to do, that I can get Autos for, but Neither strain was Originally an auto, and I want to breed them for the effects, so I need to find an auto that is at least close to the true lineage.

Oh Im not trying to recreate it, just an example.

1 Like

It’s probably possible to get close, or even better than the original, but you would have to do as much or more work with selection than the original breeder just because you are aiming at a particular target. The original breeder probably was not as focused on a particular plant and BB, like many varieties may have been a lucky find. But why try and recreate someone else’s work when you can achieve something potentially as good with your own creativity?

2 Likes

If you are looking for affordable, but yet documented genetics I’ll to give @KropDuster a shout out.

https://kropduster.com/

Pz :v:t2:

4 Likes

There is also @JohnnyPotseed and we got @Ris seed bank and I’m sure he can help you out with genetics from @JAWS or @SHSC-1.

I mean there is so much good gear out there that’s real solid, from the real deal.

Pz :v:t2:

5 Likes

Good chance it would be very different. I have grown out Slurricane by InHouse a cross of Do-Si-Dos with Purple Punch. and I grew out Purple Crunch by Green Point Seeds. Purple Crunch is a cross of Do-Si-Dos and Purple Punch. The problem is created by these unstable clone only strains. They weren’t stable and they carry a variety of genes inside that could pop out in any combination.

Same combos but very different results.

6 Likes

that just isn’t true. so far, when i ran white label it was well within the range of what I expected. if you got a green crack from a white label and it was just like green crack, what is wrong with that?

1 Like