How my liberty started (again)

i think youll probably find some zkittles leaners (tasting like fruity candy) in those seeds, never worked with it but in most of the crosses ive tried the flavor has carried through.

the little bud seedlings look like they’re getting too much water, at that stage you want to be watering in a circle around the seedling as to not drown it, some people use a spray bottle to mist but thats a chore to keep up with.
maybe soil is on the acidic side as well? your raspberry looks better than mine, soil wont go under 6 in my garden which is great for everything but the berries.

i like the use of the rocks like that around the garden, not something we see in america much.

3 Likes

Nice to meet you, @shade, and thanks for your answers :slight_smile:
Here we are in Normandy, and shores are full of these stones, we don’t have much sand here, and I found these sleeping in the garden, in a pile so I used it ^^
(Google pic)
pt91686.1300506.w430

For soil deepness I don’t really know, I haven’t dug this far xD but water is not far, since we have a river down the road, and the cave’s floor is always wet (not good for the house, but good for the garden).
I’ll water them a bit less, the tiniest died, I confess I watered too much, I was afraid the fan could dry the soil too fast, thanks a lot for this one :slight_smile:

And I really hope to get a good taste, so I’ll sow the 4 gifted seeds and 2 others, maybe Brain Choice and Mind Bender, so I’ll get good taste and good stone :smiley:

3 Likes

The stones I told you about, I have not much left, but maybe I’ll take some next time I go to the beach (Tuesday probably), I guess you can buy some at some construction shops :wink:

I planted the tomatoes, there is a big layer of cuttings from 2 apple trees, and a cherry tree, and a big layer of soil, with much ashes and some clay in it, so fertilization won’t be a problem for 4-5 years, it’s composting underground :wink:

And I found my oldie EC meter (not accurate at all, but tells me when soil is too poor, or too rich at least):

Parsley got itself some decent wear :stuck_out_tongue:

And Daikon raddishes seed run is still running, hope it works for next year :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’ve also dug out of my stuff some Coco substrate, to try the dwc DIY pot, soon to come

Edit: the raspberry is still in a pot, not in soil yet

3 Likes

it looks like you get a pretty steady 7-9 days of rain/month year round there? growing outdoors i would definitely be leaning towards strains that can tolerate rain (resistant to powdery mildew, mold, rot) especially during flower (aug/sep/oct).

it seems like humidity could be an issue indoors as well? there is someone here who did some pretty amazing stuff in a real damp basement, ill try to find their journal, but it definitely involved a dehumidifier and probably an air purifier.

for security: not showing your face and the street view of your house are some obvious ones youve got down. here in the usa real estate agents plaster pictures of every part of homes on zillow, redfin, etc and (not that ive seen evidence of it happening with grows) that is generally how someone would be located. i dont think thats an issue for you though.

1 Like

You reassured me very much on security :pray:
So it will be the basement I guess ^^
Yes we have much humidity, but it’s less and less, with climate change, and yes, I think I’ll need something to dry the cave, I even thought about an air intake to avoid taking the air from the cave itself, it’s dirt floor, and it’s always wet, you couldn’t put a wood furniture on the floor without it being eaten by mycelium, there was a big log, and totally eaten, even the house is suffering, we have holes in the roofing and it sometimes rain in the attic -_-
So, yes an inline dehumidifier with the intake could be just perfect, I can’t really dry the basement itself, as water is coming from underground, I thought about digging the floor to make a decent one in concrete, but much work ahead of me ^^
Or … The attic, but I would be really hot on sunny days :confused:
Still brainstorming ^^

1 Like

i did a grow in a moist basement years ago. didn’t monitor humidity at all though, ended up doing great. that was back on the original og. dwc setup with 400w hps.
thread here, but it doesn’t show much of the basement. i can post some pics of that wetland when i return home.

2 Likes

Good to know @sfzombie13, I think a wet basement is not worse than a burning attic and in every case, best way to fail is not trying ^^
I’ll check your thread right after this reply, and adapt the cave around 23/07 (I know I would be late for outdoor, but if all goes well it will be indoor)

Extra info: I will never sell my buds, eventually give some but no contreparties, I’m no dealer or whatever, just bored of buying hash and giving money to the wrong persons, and now living in Normandy I know nobody and I’m not in a big town, that’s why I talk about liberty :sunny:
Have a good night (midnight in France :wink: )

2 Likes

I was reading the family’s thread, and though, I could do a zapp seed run, if anyone is interested, I’d be happy to share the taste, even if I don’t know it yet xD I could send seeds to one reliable member, which could Include them in the seasonal seed box giveaways ?
Edit : or I taste them and send the best cut ?

Low Profile xD
Soon to let it stretch and flower, maybe 2 weeks before 12/12, time for me to build the flower tent in the cave and to take a cut before

Edit: and finish my octopot design :stuck_out_tongue:

It was seven days since last update, because I wanted to have something to show xD I now have it :wink:

Let’s begin with what we all are here for : Sharing the love :kissing_heart:

Ok now I can update :slight_smile:
High stress training (yoga on a sunny day!)

And I have a question for you (yeah you, all of you) could it be possible to tell the gender from these pictures? It’s already smelly and sticky, so I tend to think it’s a male

Then I made my own octopot, with a fabric tote bag, an old tool case and a net pot, total cost 0€ because I had these lying around already :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t like throwing things able to be reused or hacked into other things ^^

So I took best friends with me and started the job

Yes tools are my friends, they help me a lot, and I take care of them :smiley:

So let’s do it, I broke some old clay tiles into bits, hammering them in another tote bag, and sorting to get the little bits appart from big chunks, and removing dust

As I’m writing, Moxxi (named after Mad Moxxi in Borderlands 2 or 3, not sure, my wife chose) is lying under my chair xD

I made holes in the “net” pot

And 2 holes in the tool case

One is for the pot, and the other one is for measurement and water filling (I will water it with aquarium water, I think it’s the best natural way) and compensate the aquarium with rain water

Ok, so next to cut the fiber tote bag (amnesty international) and fit everything in place

Here it is !! First the tiny clay bits in the net pot, then the big ones as a bed in the pot, then a good load of Coco substrate, and finally some commercial soil, to get some starting nutrients to the future plant, I can’t seem to find any growshop around my place (I know there’s online delivery, but I don’t like much the idea of not being able to go get it myself, if no internet access or anything else, I was not to happy to order my seeds, but whatever, I needed them xD), so I can either try with non cannabis specific hydro (complete) fertilizer or I can continue with my aquarium but it’s not big enough I my humble opinion (35L)

I’m open to suggestions :slight_smile: and if anyone makes a diy Octopot design, feel free to post a picture here, any idea can be useful, to me or any other one not willing to put 60€ in a plastic case and a bag xD that’s exactly why I’ve put all pictures, to let people try themselves the cheap way, even if you can also “throw money at the problem”, it’s not my kind ^^

Thanks for reading, and have an exponentially great day :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Oh and I didn’t full the bag all the way to be able to add some substrate to cover the stem when its grown enough, and I still don’t have a flower or growing room, I’m with a tiny mother’s closet done fast actually so I’ll plant it later

I think I’m gonna throw the 4 zapp seeds into h2o2 enriched aquarium water then plant them separately because I read about this “dudding” viroid coming from hop, which is genetically near our beloved plant, so I have again a choice before me : separating them until I got a cut of each (cleaning tools, I know) and see by myself, or planting them together, but separated from my white skunk survivor, since it could also be contaminated :frowning: even if it’s a super vegetative grower, I read you could only tell when flowering is done ?

it looks great. only note besides making sure the pup cant get at the liquid inside the reservoir is youre definitely going to need to mix some perlite in that soil in the bag. octopot people recommend 60% soilless mix (they used to recommend organic soil so that does work also to whatever degree) and 40% perlite. im using the recommended brand (sunshine mix #4) and another that is probably more like 45% coco, %15% organic compost/bark/calcium supplement, 40% perlite but i’ve seen @GrouchyOldMan experiment with a lot of different ratios all with success.

the fertilizer youd put in there could be cheap (i find with them outside the liquid fertilizers would separate with the changes in temperature so the salt-based less expensive fertilizers work better - again have to safeguard keeping the dog away from them).

i think for now you could go down to a hardware store or garden store and get a bag of perlite then dump the top half out of the bag on your octopot, add half perlite, mix it up real good and give it a go transplanting a seedling in there, assuming that soil has plenty of compost in it already. then as it runs through those nutrients from the commerical soil you can sort finding the proper ferts for it. i see some french brands that are similar with different N-P-K ratios, like:

(that one actually has a raito that might do better outside, but im no expert)

this would be cheaper:

as for finding a grow shop i know you dont want to give away your location, 3 suggestions from the coastline there apologies if im not close enough but its not like i went trying to find you lol

would just soak them overnight in a glass of distilled water (or just tap) for 24 hrs then put in damp paper towels in a plastic bag in a dark warm place and check them every 12hrs or so. lots of ways to do it right but thats a good formula to build a pattern of if youre going to pick one.

2 Likes

Thanks @shade :blush: the second one seems really great, I popped big seeds of a flower we call “bird of paradise” in french, I don’t know its english name, and they worked very well with 48h soaking in h2o2 and aquarium water

So I guess I’m fine, but yes, after it I put them in a tiny box with paper towel on them, zip bags act the same I guess ?

I can also try rain water :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Once I made one, why not another ?

Still have to pierce holes all around the grey bucket, or replace it with another tote bag

source

3 Likes

Definitely, I think aquarium water is the best, because of the macrobiotic complex being complex ^^

Hello overgrowers, I had my first zucchini successfully :stuck_out_tongue:

And I threw 6 seeds into water (4 zapp, 1 afghan, 1 master kush)

But … My wife accidentally made them fall, so I have 4 seeds left, and mixed so it will be the surprise 🫢
I have at least 2 zapp out of 4 :confused:
And I have set the closet vertically and in the attic for the weekend, since I have some visitors tomorrow for a family barbecue

And the DIY e-bike is now operational, not really powerful, not fast, but does the job, and will be useful as I don’t have a car, nor licence and living in campaign

No trigger, just a push button, overboard motor scavenged, and a cheap chinese controller, the battery is from my last job (I have much batteries, if anyone needs one in france, and motors).
I’ll try to make some others in a near future, and even a wooden scooter :kick_scooter: xD

Edit : I have bought an e-bike a year ago, but it needs maintenance, the rear wheel’s beams are leaving me, I need to find a pack of beams to fix it, and I will be able to bring my wife on a trip near seaside :smiley:

Edit 2:
I will try to publish only the positive news, not my depressive episodes, but don’t worry, we all have some, and one key to get over them is talking about it (not publicly, for me, but I still do sometimes, I’m shy about it, like many), so anyone feel free to pm me if you want to talk, my ear stays open, I’m empathetic and I don’t judge people, we all have our problems, even if we don’t speak of it with our beloved ones to not make em sad, speaking is helping yourself already. I recently confessed to an my old boss and it relieves pain and stress to know you’re not alone, to know that someone knows about your sadness.
(I had a girlfriend who is now psychologist, I had some of her lessons while she studied and i wouldn’t say I’m good at it, but I am able to listen)

Edit 3: the first (and paid) e-bike, really comfortable but many rear beams abandoned their task :disappointed:

1 Like

I forgot to mention, I ordered these also, some sativas, to complete my “collection”, as I ordered only indicas before, as seed city gave me a 15£ coupon

1 Like

It’s late in the night and I’m still preparing the BBQ for my wife’s family visit, I have a virgin mojito planned (there is a taboo on alcohol, as imposed by my mother in law) , here is a test sample, we have “merguez” (oriental sausages) and marinated chicken legs, we made some melon balls with dry ham, mozzarella cheese with cherry tomatoes and black olives (Greek style) for the aperitive, I hope everything goes well, but no reasons to go bad

Yes the BBQ has just been bought, it’s my birthday gift from my wife (my birthday was very early in the year, and I was alone, and drinking alone to forget I was alone, but I’m not the only one in that case. I had sad thoughts at this moment, but still, it’s my birthday gift and I appreciate it (even if it’s for me to cook for my wife’s family, I will enjoy it some ways), I have cut and marinated the chicken legs :poultry_leg: and tomorrow morning, before they arrive, I’ll prepare the vegetable skewers :dango: and get some “bread sticks” (“baguettes :baguette_bread:”, I don’t know the English word for it)
And I kept some nice looking strawberries for the children :blush:

It’s 4:20 am here, so I’ll leave you to go sleeping, and I haven’t smoked any good thing (tobacco isn’t a good thing) since 3 days (that’s why I don’t already sleep yet), but I think I will have something 2 days from here and it will do, and after the family’s (not even mine, my wife’s -_-) has come, I will be able to adapt the basement to make a grow and a flower tents.

As always, thanks all overgrowers for reading me, it’s pleasant to share some bits of my life :grin:

3 Likes

Phew :sweat_smile: everything happened very well, now i have the house to tidy up :grin: and it was raining like hell yesterday, some water got into this old house, and it will rain for a week, the basil is in senescence, giving many seeds, I hope tomato plants won’t get mildew, their soil is well drained but who knows :confused: the whole garden waited long for this rain.
The DIY e-bike has broken (the wooden piece holding the motor) so only the red bike is operational at the moment.
I found a dry dead cat and a dry dead rat in the attic :frowning:
We will finish this month with our stocks, no more money for 6-7 days, but it’s not a real problem, we have all what we “need”.
The good new is that I can now start building some real tents, and I have got an organic fertilizer (cheap one, and I read about the sewer slug they put in these, but it will do for beginning growths.
Bad new: I found some lead sheets on the wall between my neighbour and i :confused: will get rid of it soon, as it’s possible that rain takes some particules in a part of the garden -_-
The garden and house have big potential, but I have many work ahead of me, so pictures will wait a bit, but it’s a matter of time :wink:
I will take advantage of the rain to dig out some soil, to even the farthest part of the garden (it’s thin but very long) and use this soil to fill pots, I plan to dig a pond too, but it will have to wait a bit, not a priority at the moment.

See you soon with better news, and take care of you and your beloved ones :kissing_heart:

2 Likes