Throwback thursday with some white widow

as some of you may know, i was in the running for a job as facility manager at a grow op in wv. just got the email that i didn’t get the job. i did however get a tour and it gave me some hellacious ideas. since i live in an illegal state, i’m not allowed to grow, but as i have in the past, i can share my knowledge and skills with folks who are willing to take the chance. this is how it was done for me, although he grew also, and this is how i have done over the past 20 years with five friends who now know how. since getting some love from the veterans seed giveaway i have popped some and sent them to their forever home, waiting on spring to spring and go into the ground, after giving up some cuts of course, for seed replenishment purposes. i plan on kicking in some this year if all goes well. thanx to everyone involved in that, you guys rock! i can’t wait to give back!

i got a lot of help from the first overgrow back in the day, and some of these pictures were posted on the old servers. i thought it would be refreshing for some of the old timers to reminisce and for some of the newer growers to see what sorts of things we had to go through, although it wasn’t nearly as bad as 15 years before that, but that was all outside growing and not much thought to it besides camping out at the patch to catch the males. the fewer trips to the girls, the less likely to leave a trail and have them stolen. anyway, enjoy.

homemade cabinet. not by me, but a friend.

150w hps. didn’t have much of a reflector, but for $100 for the whole setup, i can make do. besides, i’m a hacker and love modifying things.

didn’t take much to improve that one. i also learned to shade the thermometer.

not sure how old, but getting there.

this is actually the last picture of this grow, and the yield was miserable, but we smoked it, learned from it, and made some changes.

40"x40"x48" since i was a carpenter at the time.

400w hps.

but the smell. and you can’t just order odor control without arising suspicion, but i’m a hacker so…

but i digress. back to the contents…

i don’t have a lot of pictures because i didn’t really document it for a grow diary, that wasn’t safe at the time, but statute of limitations says it’s ok now federally and i’m legal medically in the state, so…

they were a little spindly after the first trim, but rebounded. i may have the order backwards on some of them, but it finished. looks like some issues but the smoke was fantastic.

we didn’t trim it too close, it all got you high.

some modifications to the light as it was hot as hell, but after this you could touch the glass and it was warm. also, i think the buds got some light burn and made a reflector, not my idea but i got plans from here.

and the final setup altogether.

thanx for taking a trip down memory lane. happy growing everyone!

29 Likes

Amazing, for 20 years ago way forward, working with what you had, probably nothing but good memories right?

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

you’re welcome. i loved it. making shit like that was right up my alley. like the fan on the light hood. that hps was hot as shit. i put the fan on it, and when i turned it on, it damn near imploded. i had to drill some intake holes in it. scared the shit out of me. i mean it wasn’t that bad, but it made a hell of a pop! you could lay your hand on the glass two inches from it afterwards though.

3 Likes

Very cool! Thank you for sharing

1 Like

Of course you can grow . Fucking Overgrow the man :fu:t2:no one can stop you from growing a plant

3 Likes

@Brujobob you’re welcome

@Reznfingeez33 i should have said i wasn’t allowed to, but since i am a law abiding citizen now due to other self-imposed restrictions, i won’t. thanx for allowing me to correct that, the words we use determine our attitude. obviously i can grow.

2 Likes

shit! it’s tuesday, not thursday! damned meds. oh well, carry on.

1 Like

Loving it! I’ve been using my Dad’s Phototron from 92 LoL but it’s actually been a GREAT little grow cabinet when limited to room and I added a garage LED light to the lid of mine and will get some pics after I get home but absolutely great

3 Likes

I LOVE THIS!!!

:hugs:

2 Likes

I love the history and the throwback stories. That cabinet was awesome and all the modifications you made to improve quality and yields, super cool.
Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Cool setup!

1 Like

Nice setup bro, mine will probably be very like yours, I love crafting and hacking my way to what I get, much more rewarding than just buying, I just love that (you could tell it yourself, you’ve seen my starting box xD )

1 Like

yeah, i’ve been a hacker since age 8 taking radios apart and mostly getting them back together. i recall the days of the dial up to the message boards with a phone modem.

from a hackathon i sponsored a few years before covid shut things down…

the website is still up though.

3 Likes

My girlfriend’s computer xD we had much fun this day. I’ve had an electrotech formation, but I couldn’t find job without driving licence, and did many jobs, from waiter, to cashier and to groceries delivery and recently I was leading the riders team, now I’ll get economical firing and will enjoy indemnities to work on the house (the company is starving, cuz it’s poorly managed)
My girlfriend is more into software (she’s learning for now) and I am more into hardware, I remember a robotic club it was really interesting :slight_smile:
I’ve also been a scout, and still don’t have driving licence, I’m hacking a bike into an electric bike, picture will come tomorrow, I’m not at home :wink:
I was quite admirative at hacking, I even stole “the art of deception” by Kevin Mitnick in the municipal library (I wouldn’t do this now, but I was young and stupid xD and it’s not really hacking, he explains that in most systems, the weak spot is the human, and shows examples of social engineering)

Hacking rules, and it’s a pride when it finally works as you want it to, I don’t see much pride in buying the thing you could do :slight_smile:

Share the love :slight_smile:

2 Likes

my last two laptops. i have to have my stickers on fairly straight and in order. i’ve always been more into hardware too, big mistake i made back in the '80s was choosing hardware over software (because anyone can program in my eyes) and not getting rich as a dotcom millionaire. i too have had many different jobs, cashier, truck driver, carpenter, worked at a car wash, army, then got into tech work and started my own company when i couldn’t get hired and been at it for 10 years now. always good to meet a fellow hacker and meeting a pair of them is a nice bonus. have a great day.

3 Likes

nasty wetness in this one. it leaked from a hole in the wall when it rained. looked like someone was pissing out of the wall.

3 Likes

xD I see a nice ventilation here, mine is not ready, but will come soon, here it’s not raining it’s coming from underground and saltpetre is coming out of the brick wall 16889832787937363541452703104923
And previous proprietary jammed one of the existing vents (-_-)

Also there’s a pump to get the excess water up to evacuation 16889834945123857820684383013565
I think it will be a pain in the ass to lower the floor, but I’m planning it anyway, as my head actually touches the roof ^^

And I have this structure, usage to be determined soon

I also got tons of these sauces, if I send seeds or cuts, I’ll send some sauces along xD (and pink flowered strawberries for seeds (toscanna variety)
They pretend to be out of date, but it’s a “best before” date, still consumable, and really good with burgers but i have way too much of them, i got them at my last job :grin: i often give one of each to friends and encounters

I’m pleased to meet a hacker too, I’m planning to make my own octopot, with a tote bag and Coco coir, and clay pellets (from broken clay tiles lying in the garden) over a black plastic box, or a cut bucket with a pierced cover, I’ll show it when it’s done :wink:

And the e-bike in progress :

The battery (from last job, again)

And hidden push button:p

2 Likes