New 3D-Printed, Snap-fit, Low-profile Mailing Pucks Just Dropped

ezgif-2-08f07f9798

Hey you guys! I’ve been working on a new shipping puck that can hold 30+ seeds and is able to close with a lid while maintaining a low profile.

20231104_164433-3

The puck is 4.25 mm/0.167 in. thick when assembled with the lid, the same height as the pucks developed by the wonderful @Mr.Sparkle. It is 32 mm/1.26 in. in diameter. The lids snap on and the puck is divided into four, providing structural support. In my limited stress testing with the model printed with PLA+, these pucks are very rigid. I would recommend printing the first layer height at 0.10 mm. Please let me know what you think or if you run into any issues.

Here are the files: Printables

60 Likes

I like your idea :bulb: I’m glad someone is improving the designs. I do however like the individual seed holes, mostly cause it stops the seed rattling sound when someone at the post office attemptes to discover what’s inside. People are people, if it rattles, they will shake it lol

14 Likes

That is a good point! I’m working on this insert which will help with that. image

11 Likes

Foam inserts? I see these in the open design all the time. Or maybe cotton swabs?

3 Likes

I was thinking a bit of cotton ball would help with the rattling. Either way, I’ll likely have a version without the dividers that can use the insert.

5 Likes

What if the coin was wider? To accommodate more seeds.

3 Likes

What about a flat strip, maybe 1 inch by 4 inches. Could have them divided up like a pill reminder calendar. Could multiple strains depending on how it’s divided.

6 Likes

Sweet, some little things the ovals are hard to get seeds out of print one up and you’ll see.

Also due to the lid you overall height for seed clearance will be on the lower side, even with the 4.25mm pucks ive done you do get seeds which dont quite fit them so i have considered bumping up the thickness.

Reason i picked 4.25mm was it gave some wiggle room when considering envelope that you were fine thickness wise.

Honestly though one could likely go to 5mm and still be fine internationally just cause say USA max for regular post is 1/4" so i figure likely if one falls into that 5-6mm overall thickness letter wise you’ll be good.

13 Likes

Thank you for the input, good to know about the ovals! I had to find a middle ground between having a lid and seed clearance, but I think you’d be surprised if you printed it out. I had tested larger versions up to 5mm thick, but in an envelope, they are too thick, especially with the 5mm restriction in Canada.

2 Likes

Very cool! I love it

2 Likes

I really appreciate this design, and the alternate multi hole, because I often want to send (and receive!!!) more than ten seeds. Great updates

6 Likes

Thanks, guys!

2 Likes

Can those of us without 3D printers buy some from ya?

7 Likes

I really dig the design as well as the collaborative input folks are giving. Weed people are smart.

4 Likes

I’m probably down. Just not sure what you think is reasonable. I’m not trying to make money, just compensated for my time. I think 8 of them for $15, shipped in a bubble mailer would be my price.

1 Like

Very cool. I use some open hole pucks for larger seed numbers and just cover the seeds with toilet paper before snapping on the lid which stops the rattling.

8 Likes

Brilliant. Dividing the hemispheres is a good idea. The dividing columns also allow more support against crushing. Have you tested them with the LARGER diameter seeds?

3 Likes

This!
plus with this design you can send 4 strains in one puck…
Thats kinda nice!

6 Likes

Love it @bluelizard ! 3-D printed pucks are The Holy Grail! Thanks for making the effort(s)! I’ve often thought of using tissue paper in the pucks, but it’s rare that there’s even enough room left over for them to be able to even move, let alone rattle!

Like the idea of divided pucks, wondering if it might be possible to add some kind of ‘watermark’, like “A”/“B”/“C”/“D” to the segments to make ID’ing them easier to remember once opened? I’ve shifted over to the open-centered pucks just 'cause I can fit so many more beans in 'em for OG’ers! I ran into problems with over-sized seeds using the single hole pucks. Just an ‘idea’! :roll_eyes:

Thanks again bro!
:call_me_hand: :call_me_hand:

20 Likes

Those wt papaya x wt castle seeds are freaking enormous!

8 Likes