How should I store my seeds to increase longevity?

Awesome source for expertise!

1 Like

Can you use weight to tell if they’re dry? Asking for future projects as a total novice to drying seeds.

3 Likes

I just leave them in a big dish so they’re not piled too deep and let them sit for two weeks and call them done.

I might even stir it once or twice.

5 Likes

Hey yall
Just to piggy back a little,

How do people organize seed within the fridge? Its tough without a standard sized pack, some breeders are on big or thick cardboard backers, some in little envelopes…
Ive seen a few binders on here

Im currently using 3.5" floppy disc storage boxes.
But its not super organized

2 Likes

Idealize the moisture content and store in a cool dry place with the least amount of temperature and humidity change as possible. I’ve read as low as 6% moisture up to 12% being a representative of an ideal range of seed moisture content. I’d imagine there are subtle nuances within these values as they relate to seeds of varying shape and construction. Some having thinner shells, others thicker, some rounder and others more oblong. I’m not sure how these things matter but I’d imagine they do.

It’s important to limit variability in the storage conditions once they’re in storage. Many blessings and much love

5 Likes

Seeds you will run in the next two years keep in the fridge and the rest in the freezer :slightly_smiling_face: …I use plastic rubber seal airtight containers which is inside a mylar bag with dessicant pouch and the seeds are in a plastic vial/tube with a bit of sterile cotton :v:

2 Likes

I used to have all my packs in a coffee container, filled a third with rice, then my seed packs, with plastic wrapped over the top, held with a rubber band, and put in the freezer. Now that’s where I keep the primo shit, the rest gets zip lock baggies in the freezer.

Mine are in an air-tight aluminum tube, along with silica dessicant, in the produce box in our 'fridge. I haven’t been storing them for long enough to know how effective that method is long term, but I’ve had a 100% germination rate so far, with seeds stored that way.

1 Like

Freezer is the best. Refrigerator is not as good as most people think. I’ve been doing tests for 35 years and believe me when I say as soon as they dry put them in the freezer and don’t ever let them thaw out unless you’re ready to start germinating. They will almost certainly outlive you if stored this way

3 Likes

Hi @Bert I dry them in the dark in a box of matches.
And then I store them in test tubes like that

which i put in a Tupperware box in my fridge.
Hope this was helpful :wink:
See you
O.B.

1 Like