How to do better then ancient forest by general hydroponics

Dude. Go outside. And start cutting down a forest. Then let it sit there and compost for not enough time. Now you have something way better then this garbage. All this is is sawdust “from alaska” that isnt fully composted. You would get more benefit from adding Some random compost or a random bag of potting soil😂 you could go cut grass and dry it then add that and itll actually do something good for your soilXD or go call ya city. Be like “yo i need woodchips” you get as much as you can and pile it in your yard. Water it with LAB when needed. Let it compost. Then go get leaves. As many as possible. Do the same thing. Pile, LAB, compost. Also while ya at it collect alot of green material (grass, alfalfa, etc.) And collect a lot of carbon material ( straw, hay, leaves etc) mix 25% green to 75% carbon. Now let it sit for a day or two. If it dont heat up add maybe 10% more green and try again till it heats up. Then take this pile and flip it inside out once a week. In about 3-6 months youll have compost that will grow CRAZY plants. Best part??? You can add what you need to veg and flower plants then you can plant right into the compost with some worms!

4 Likes

And how long is that gonna take me @lotus710? I appreciate yur sarcasm, i really do; but i am seriously trying to find out it it has worked for someone else in here! I’ll do that later on, thanks.

2 Likes

Im not being sarcastic. That shit sucks and wont do any good to roots soil. If you wanna add a quick benefit i told you there also. Grass, alfalfa, kelp, ferments etc. Basicly if you find someone that says this is good they havnt tried something that is truly good.

4 Likes

No kidding. Well, i might try another way like @lotus710 says! Thanks man.

@lotus710 is not Bull shiting anyone here I can tell he’s done his homework, watch a ton of utube videos on Elaine Ingham president and CEO of the Soil food web ! She and others have help tons of people get their soil back in order after its been destroyed by monocropping methods and and herbicide/ insecticides applications all that crap is not needed and most of it’s someone’s recycled trash just getting piled in a bag for resale! Jeff Lowenfels and Gabe Brown also , Gabe has some vids that will Blow your Mind away on what great soil can do!

1 Like

If I may, I know the question is directed at @lotus710 all that needed is a cubic yard 3x3x3 foot area 1 yard for heat retention and for the pile have the ability to heat up no more than 155 degrees compost can be made in about 4 weeks when done properly! Browns and greens in the right ratios.

1 Like

I Mine is made with 3 pallets tied together to form an open front for ease of adding material. Fall leaves, garden refuse, wood chips, grass from the lawn, straw, coffee grounds, anything that cut up in the kitchen peels, rinds anything that’s about to go bad in the frig that you wouldn’t want to eat, anything that was once living and contains carbon leave out dairy and meats they attract varments mix all up and add a little soil for microbes and keep pile moist to consistency of a wrung out sponge mix aerate if you start smelling ammonia! Your biggest issues is not having enough material but if you think outside the box it’s shouldn’t be to hard!

2 Likes

My compost once cooled down makes for excellent habitat for my red wigglers !

Here is some excellent worm castings!

4 Likes

My resources say it can be done in a month (ingham) but I believe aging will improve it over that time!

Didn’t really say anymore than what @lotus710 had already said hope that helps @MadScientist and @HERBrastafari !

Here is a good cross section 6-8 inch deep of soil that I’v been working on the last 1.5 years this is heavy clay here in CO this whole clump would easily crumble if squeezed!

3 Likes

Like @lotus710 said uncomposted wood/ sawdust actually robs soil of nitrogen when it’s breaking down !

1 Like

The best way to do a compost smaller then 3x3ft would be to make a bokashi bucket and a worm bin. You can even use cockroaches or black soldier flies. But i like my wormsXD a bokashi bucket is a 5gal bucket with holes poked in bottom and a screen to catch solids or smaller holes. Then put it in another solid bucket without holes. Place veggie and fruit scraps (can use little meat if you leave it longer but to be safe dont) in bucket. Cover this with a “bokashi” bran. (This is just LAB sprayed on wheat bran and dried) Then you leave it for around 4 weeks. After its done you take it and bury it in your worm bin and they go nuts. Takes a few months off the composting process. All this stuff can be done inside.

If you want top grade castings dont just use any fruits and veggies. Use certain ones depending on your needs. Personally i use my veggie compost for outdoor gardens and i use special compost for indoor. My compost consists of lots of organic straw, leaves, yarrow, nettle, kelp, neem, barley, alfalfa, good grass, egg shells, osyter sells, several good rock dusts, lots of ferment scraps, kombucha scobys, LAB and the leftover curd.

I have a fun approach to gardening. Something you can get your kids to do for you. And they can eat or drink it if they want. And its healthy for them. Feed it to them every day. And your animals too!

Basicly everything they sell at the hydro store is garbage and i can tell you exactly whats wrong with it and how you can do it better for cheaper. And if i see a friend going to spend money on garbage ill tell it exactly how it is.

Also this is a good easy down to the point place for composting:) http://www.timetorecycle.com/reduce/composting.asp

5 Likes

No fruits and veggies because their nutrient density is not as high as (e.g.) kelp meal? I’d also imagine you’re using dry amendments for most of this list?

I’ve been considering opening up a thread on vermicomposting tips, tricks, and wizardry, so don’t mind me :slight_smile: I’ve been giving mine a lot of egg shells, egg cartons, and banana peels – they seem to be happy, but can’t vouch for the quality of their poop yet.

5 Likes

It would be super interesting to see a thread on vermi, please do it soon @oranje, and BTW i had to cull the Peyote Cookies, it wanted to bounce back but my space is limited and got lots of seeds so i thought, WTH!

3 Likes

This thread def needs some work. It should be named “how to do better then ancient forest by general hydroponics”

I fixed it😂 ill make a thread of gardening eventually. For now i like my knowledge hidden in threadsXD

4 Likes

HAHAHAHA I guess it wasn´t aimed at me right! Nice one @lotus710! ROFL

2 Likes

Can someone please post pictures of the side by side that was done showing the experiment?

Seeing is believing after all.

4 Likes

Idk what experiment youre speaking of. Do you mean nature doing the thing she does best? Go to a place not disturbed by man. Theres your proof:)

I would like to see this too, man-made soil for weed. Step by step.

1 Like

Theres tons of videos on youtube!