Howard's Hunt for Headstash

Cleaning up the lowers. Ran out of steam, gonna have to finish tomorrow.

17 Likes

Also had to raise the lights. The stretch has started, and the plants were way too close.

17 Likes

Speaking of whichā€¦

Sitting here on the deck, nicely lifted on a little Zak Haze trim and lost in thought, and Iā€™ve come to the realization that Iā€™m not really digging the switch to MasterBlend as much as Iā€™d hoped.

Itā€™s decent, but I donā€™t feel Iā€™m getting the same vibrancy and health that I was getting with my previous Jackā€™s 3-2-1 regimen, and my more sensitive sativa-dominant strains donā€™t appear to be loving it either.

Iā€™ve still got enough for at least another cycle or two on hand, but Iā€™m seriously tempted to order some more Jackā€™s instead of waiting until I run through what Iā€™ve got on hand.

Maybe Iā€™ll sleep on it.

15 Likes

Iā€™ve always heard good things about Jackā€™s products but I am super lazy . Just water and good compost is all I use.

5 Likes

Sounds like you have your mind made upā€¦ a good rest really helps put things into perspective

3 Likes

Itā€™s the NH4ā€¦ itā€™s gotta be. I am back on peters (actually southern ag 5-11-26 blue raspberry koolaid). My sativas were not having any of the master blend, even though on paper, total nitrogen is lower. Indicas and hybrids seemed fine with it, but the light feeders freaked out over the N way worse than jacks/peters. I speculate that NH4 actually builds up in coco.

If I werenā€™t going full hydro, Iā€™d probably try some cal prime instead of the nitrate.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a healthy looking crop. That Orange Goji has a very nice nose and high :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Iā€™m using urban farms tomato veg and garden of Eden bloom with a bump of P& K last few weeks in living soil mix. I Like that itā€™s 1 part for both grow periods. Also itā€™s compatible with my mini DWC pots so no special mixing. So far ( second run) and Iā€™m liking it, running a 2/3 mix on nutes just to make sure itā€™s not hot. The late bud growth was amazing on last run. Started shooting foxtail calyx through the final week.

3 Likes

The texas tomato food is great for me in veg AND for my tomatoes that I grow in pots!

2 Likes

I decided to go ahead and order more Jackā€™s for now, since Iā€™m fairly familiar with it by this point and I think itā€™s the best way for me to finish out this run.

Iā€™m really digging the top-drip DTW system Iā€™m running this time, and the plants appear to be enjoying it as well, with one exception that I might get into at another time.

Plant response has been great so far. Everything is growing fast, and looks really healthy other than some yellowing, which Iā€™m guessing is related to either pH issues or being too close to the lights. Maybe both.

I do wish that the ā€œone second resolutionā€ digital timer I bought to run the irrigation wasnā€™t a piece of crap, though. I finally just threw it in the garbage. The timer I replaced it with has a one minute minimum interval, so the plants are getting watered for one minute three times per light cycle.

This is working well enough as far as plant health is concerned, but itā€™s resulting in more runoff than Iā€™d like. Iā€™ve been reusing as much of the runoff as I can, but itā€™s a pain in the rear.

Iā€™ve got some changes Iā€™ve been planning to make after this cycle which, health permitting, Iā€™m going to do my best to document in some detail. Iā€™m actually pretty stoked, and impatient for this cycle to be over so I can get started, lol :grinning:

That is, if I survive the weekend. I am the most heat-intolerant person Iā€™ve ever met, lol.

11 Likes

I love all the detail you put in your posts!! From a new grower, I appreciate it very much!!

7 Likes

Holy toledo stating to look like. Gang bang scene in there! lol :joy:

1 Like

If it ainā€™t broke why try to fix. I hope you get yourself back to feeling good and back in the garden. I really enjoy your content and look forward to your post. Did that show up yet or u still waiting?

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words! Iā€™m going to do my best to start documenting things better. This year has been a real slog for me due to health and personal issues in my life, but Iā€™m finding renewed motivation finally :slight_smile:

Yeah, itā€™s a bit crazy lol. Iā€™m probably going to be removing one of those plants later on today, I think. The GG4 RIL thatā€™s in there isnā€™t super happy, actually. You canā€™t see it in the pics because itā€™s smaller than the plants surrounding it, but itā€™s showing some pretty serious signs of lockout. That seems typical for Glue, though. I fed everything at the wrong pH for a few days, and it often seems to me that once you piss off a Glue, it never fully recovers without significant care. It would be better for me to take some cuttings to run in the next cycle and just remove that plant, giving the others more room.

If youā€™re referring to what I think youā€™re referring to, it did indeed. I am extremely pleased, and very much looking forward to checking them out, thanks! :smiley:

9 Likes

Iā€™m glad they made it canā€™t wait to see what you find in those. I was talking about the Jackā€™s products they seem to make a very effective and easy to use product that will work with just about any kind of plants. I donā€™t hear of any one have any problems with it that they didnā€™t cause. Itā€™s been a long time since Iā€™ve used salts and I had really good luck with it before going down the organic path. Iā€™ve been thinking about trying Botanicare for a side project just to compare against my organic method Iā€™ve come up with. I got them free and it would be a fun expirement plus it would be a good test for my Goji line Iā€™m working on. I wouldnā€™t think I would have stability problems using salts but I would rather know than guess.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t received the new Jackā€™s yet. I canā€™t afford a 25lbs bag, so I had to order a smaller amount from some rando who repackages it into smaller quantities on Etsy (and then calls it ā€œHand Madeā€, ffs), and I donā€™t think itā€™s even been shipped yet. I sure hope it arrives before I run out of my current batch of stock solutions, though! I really donā€™t want to have to mix up anymore MasterBlend before I can switch back to Jackā€™s.

Edited to add

Ha! Literally the second I hit ā€œSendā€ on the post I received this email. Good timing, lol. That should work out nicely.

10 Likes

Good to see your Jacks is enroute.

I was getting ready ask if you needed a sack expedited.

Fortunate to have this local.

13 Likes

I can send you a few cups of my Southern Ag blue raspberry nutrients if you need. Itā€™s pretty much the same as jacks, just need to add a little more epsom when you use it.

8 Likes

I live in a small city North of Seattle, and to my knowledge there is not a single hydro store or pot shop in the entire city. But I know for a fact that at least two people who live within a single block of me are growing, and thereā€™s a shit ton of tokers here, so itā€™s not like there isnā€™t a steady customer base for either.

I think the city government actually put a moratorium on cannabis businesses around here. They also made me get a city license to do remote software development work from home. Freaking Idiots.

7 Likes

Wow, I really appreciate that!

Fortunately, I think Iā€™m gonna be good now :grinning:

7 Likes