Hush's hidey hole

@GMan Did it at least get you high though?

No, not really. I kept it for a year or more in the jar and it got a tiny bit better, but no buzz that I remember.

1 Like

Hereā€™s whatā€™s going on in the hole today.

6 Likes

I just got mega ultra super high on the Golden Tiger, and it inspired me to take a picture. GT buds, 2 month cure:

9 Likes

The bud looks really nice.

Not sure where you live but we have an alcohol made here in Colorado just for extraction. Itā€™s much better than Everclear because of filtering and less water. Itā€™s cheaper, too.

You can even get it online but not sure if itā€™s feasible. Itā€™s called. 42o Extractor

I use it for RSO and making some crude wax.

3 Likes

Iā€™m intrigued, but howā€™s there less water than 95% ethanol and still be food grade? Unless itā€™s a nonpolar solvent and youā€™re expected to purge it all?
Iā€™m actually making a tincture for nighttime medicine, so Iā€™m using ethanol for that purpose. Still, Iā€™lll look into them. Iā€™m in east Colorado. The uncool part, lol.

Edit: so I checked them outā€¦ Seems theyā€™re just selling their own version of Everclear. I mean, 95% ethanol is 95% ethanol. I didnā€™t even necessarily see that theirs is 95%, but Iā€™ll assume it is. Thatā€™s the maximum allowed by the laws of physics. But yes, theirs is cheaper. Iā€™m still intrigued.

2 Likes

Just checked them out not bad in the price think my 1/5 of everclear at my liquor store was 20-22 bucks so I guess same amount of everclear would be over 100$ ā€¦ have you ever thought about getting one of those things that reclaim like 90% of your booze canā€™t think what their called off the top of my head!

Or may I should try my hand at moonshine! Lol corn is pretty cheap!

1 Like

Yeah the home distillers. They donā€™t cost too terribly much. Between $100-150 I think. Maybe less. Thatā€™s the way to go. You lose the alcohol the ghetto way like I do it.

The 42o Extractor does produce a better product as well. Much better tasting.

1 Like

I was thinking something like this shit this is El cheapo!

1 Like

I have a forum friend who does caregiving and makes tons of edibles, and tincture, and balms, and RSOā€¦ She uses something like this just for reclaiming the alcohol from extraction runs. It would save a lot of money and would easily pay for itself after a few runs of RSO.

When i look at the rig above, all I see is breakable glass, lolā€¦ Iā€™m not sure, but I may not be allowed to use anything with that much glass. lamo But, yeah, you got the ideaā€¦ save the alcohol and use it again and again rather than evaporating it into the atmosphere.

3 Likes

Oh ya I was looking at those as well most I saw were over 100$ thatā€™ good pricing in that one!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s cheaper than the Source Turbo I use, even at the price I payed, this one has almost paid for itself.

6 Likes

Sell me on the Source Turbo. Iā€™m seriously considering one. I expect I will be getting deeply into tinctures in the upcoming years, and I do want to be able to reclaim the ethanol. I used to have a nice little kitchen chemistry lab with lots of that glassware pictured above, among lots moreā€¦ It would be a little messy to deal with in such a tiny apartment, especially with a toddler around. So I like the idea of a prefab unit.

6 Likes

The good:

The unit is well built and can recover your alcohol, so it can pay for itself pretty quickly. Not only that, but you can also use it to reclaim the alcohol from your wet buds; no more squeezing buds to get every last drop of alcohol out. Iā€™ve even used it to distill the alcohol out of lower proof grain alcohol, saving even more money.

Their customer service is top notch. I had an issue with a relay, I was able to send it back, get it fixed, and back within a week. They even paid for the shopping.

The unit is definitely a plus for those who have limited counter space. Itā€™s about the size of a small coffee maker.

It is a vacuum assisted distiller, so lower temperatures can be used leaving more terpenes in the final product.

The bad:
I will be the first to admit the price is a bit steep at $599. I got mine on 4/20 a few years ago for $420.

Itā€™s not really an etractor per say, you do the extraction however works best for you. Quick washes can make nice smokable extracts, longer soaks for medicinal or edible quality extracts are also possible.

The crucible is pretty small. You can only fit about 8 fluid ounces in it at a time.

The collection chamber tends to spill when emptying the alcohol. They have fixed this in the latest version though.

Did I mention it is expensive? Lately I just decarb rosin and add warm alcohol for my tinctures. Itā€™s the cheapest, fastest way to make it. Iā€™m sure I could even use lower proof alcohol for it.

4 Likes

So yeah, I would be primarily using it for reclamation. I have to make sure that it will pay for itself in terms of how much alcohol Iā€™m NOT buying because of being able to reclaim it. That would be the only way this thing will pay for itself. I wouldnā€™t be using it for anything other than reclamation. At 8 ounces of volume in the crucibleā€¦ Iā€™m feeling like it wouldnā€™t be worth it to me. I might keep searching around for a setup with a larger crucible, if one exists. If not, I just might end up setting up a glassware lab after all, but it will require some designing on my part, to make sure that the setup and teardown are super quick and convenient. Lots to think aboutā€¦

6 Likes

A peek in the 2x2:

8 Likes

Hell damn fart. :scream:

I left my Bubba Hash seedlings alone for a few days without checking on them. Thatā€™s not uncommon in the hidey-hole. Itā€™s how I do. But apparently last time I did maintenance in there I forgot to plug the pump back in. I opened the tent today to be greeted by four sad, neglected, dried up plants. And the truth is, if I hadnā€™t recently decided to use up all of my perlite, resulting in this media mix containing significantly less vermiculite than usual, I believe these plants would have survived the drought.

So, in summary, I need to place a seed order quickly, and I have decided to no longer use the fabric pot methodā€¦ Iā€™m going back to using rockwool cubes exclusively again. I donā€™t care that theyā€™re expensive. Itā€™s the cost of doing business; thatā€™s how Iā€™ll look at it from now on. I might even start buying cases of them and staying stocked up at all times.

CuƱo tu madrƩ tortilla de puto mierda fuck. :angry:

4 Likes

Bummer man. I had the same type of spring. I killed more seeds than I ever have. I got a self wicking seed starter kit with coco and back to 100% germ rates again. Itā€™s such a low humidity here in Trinidad that itā€™s hard to keep it just right with hand watering. I couldnā€™t keep up with it. Either too dry or too wet. peace.

3 Likes

Alright I got it sorted out. Spoke to dubi at Ace Seeds and Iā€™ve got my order ready to submit tonight. I shouldnā€™t have to wait too long, so Iā€™ll leave the 3x3 tent alone. Ace genetics are worth waiting for. I will be getting a handful of different seeds, but Bubba Hash is still next in here. I look forward to that one, because I had some good times with that 90s Hash Plant back in the 90s. Plus, I mean, Bubba Kush, I mean, come on. So yeah, thatā€™s still up next.

5 Likes

Iā€™m growing a pre ā€˜98 Bubba x Lemon Thai and another cross with it as a parent. Looking forward to it. Iā€™ll be doing them again as I lost tags and think I only have one LB.

Hope they donā€™t keep you waiting too long. peace

1 Like