Hydrococo 60/40

Hello guys,
Tried to find post about this medium but there is nothing. Does someone tried this coco? I do some research and guys in other forums said that you can get result like in dwc if you water this coco 3-5 times a day. It can be or this is nonsense?

https://www.growell.co.uk/growing-media/coco/gold-label-hydrococo-60-40-mix.html

3 Likes

Interesting stuff, I’m inexperienced with clay balls but I reckon you could water it 3-5 times a day in the right sized container. I don’t know about results like dwc. you will never know how good it works for you till you have a go, 45 litres for 15 quid ain’t bad either I reckon.

1 Like

I have no experience with clay/coco, only coco with perlite.

Coco college. This is a good reference for new coco growers.

7 Likes

Thank you, good articles! I was thinking to go on 21liter pots with dripper watering and drain to waste saucers. But now maybe its better to go wtih smaller pots like 16l or smaller.

1 Like

I found it super easy to over water bigger pots but everyone else does just fine. I think a general rule of thumb suggested to me is 1 gallon (4 litres ish) per month the plant is alive, saying that. I’m growing in 1L pots that are two thirds full so nothing is a hard yes/no but it does keep my plants smaller.

1 Like

Read somewhere for couple times that you cant overwater with coco so its a lie? Im going to grow 1.20-150m plants so i think i should with 16liter fabric pots. Whats your opinion?

1 Like

Yes, that is a lie. You can over water pure coco easily. If you add some perlite, it’s much harder to over water, but it’s always possible. Coco provides more air than peat and less water, so it’s harder to over water, but still possible.

Pot size depends on how frequently you want to feed. You can grow a 1.5m plant in a liter if you can water 4-6x per day. 16L pots is probably a good size for hand feeding once per day.

5 Likes

yes I would call it a lie to say you outright cannot over water when using coco.

The pot size entirely depends on what your are doing, a veg time of two weeks to two months, number of plants, flowering time of your strain and method of watering as @lefthandseeds says. I’m assuming you are using regular seeds not autos too

If you want to negate over watering and ease of watering try pure perlite, I think it’s called a hempy pot

2 Likes

25-30plants under 7-8 1000w hps. Amnesia haze strain. Gonna try 3-4weeks veg in 16l pots. Its okay with overwatering i was growing in soil couple years so i think i can handle
It.

2 Likes

Sounds awesome dude, it must be a pretty big space you got. If you got that experience then crack on with what you think is best and it will give you more info than any forum could

1 Like

Im just read in couple of articles Or forum topics if you watering your coco mix 3-5 times a day . You can get a better yield similar to dwc. And they say that medium should be always wet and you better not let the coco to dry.

Ehhh that’s debatable, small pot sure but you’ll get algae, big pot noooope (in my experience) mine were acting over watered with the top inch of coco dry and loose.

edit : I think it’s to do with how fast the whole pot will run out of water, if it will be dry in 12 hours time then yeah maybe. airating the water might help, if you are watering to capacity or watering till it’s literally just moist like when you squeeze it and a drop or two comes out vs squeeze and 50ml comes out

1 Like

I got about 16sq meter grow space. What size pots you going to take And how often you water them if you were me :smiley: sorry for bad english

1 Like

All good man, I’m not sure as I’m still learning, If I was watering multiple times a day i think I’d go in stages from solo cups till I get roots enough to make a root ball then up to either a 1 or 2 gallon then up pot again to 4 gallon if needed. With watering so often id want the plants roots to be well established and covering a good portion of the pot so I don’t water too much haha

You need less pot room if watering often I think

1 Like

Here’s one style of coco grow.
1 and 2 gallon automated multi-feeds per day.

3 Likes

Yea at first gonna grow them in small pots then transplant to 4gal pots. Going to water twice a day then they gonna be bigger and more mature. Forget to mentiont that :smiley:

2 Likes

Nice grow man! You using 2gal pots? How height is your plants?

1 Like

Yes. 2 gallon. But have also used 1 gallon. Plants about 4ft to 5ft tall.

Some growers run coco in larger pots and feed less often.

2 Likes

How much approx of water you pour in these 2 gal pots and how many times in a day?

Approx 8 oz. Up to 5x daily.
First and last feeds are heavier.

I have a 8 gallon res with pump and timer.

2 Likes