Hydroxyl Generator - odor control & CO2 generation?

So I have a hydroxyl generator here, wasn’t purchased for the grow, but I plugged it in my lung room after I think I did enough research to be confident it won’t fry my plants like ozone. So, assuming that premise is correct….

These things cleanse the air by generating hydroxyls, which bond with airborne stuff. One of the byproducts of this process is …… wait for it ….the generation of co2.

My tent is in a lower level room, no windows, one small door. Ambient co2 levels are around 5-600 per my PulsePro. I plugged the hydroxyl generator in, and within 12 hours the Pulse is reporting consistent co2 of 1200-1300 inside my tent.

I’m like 5-10 days away from harvest, so I don’t think there’s enough time left for me to do much damage to the flower tent, but the veg tent is exploding with growth since I did this 6 days ago.

I’m probably mining virgin territory here, as I know HG’s aren’t widely used. But has anybody tried this before?

Here’s a little blurb about the process:
A hydroxyl generator provides an alternative to air ozone generators because hydroxyls can oxidize contaminants, remove odors and disinfect bacteria and viruses from indoor air without using high concentrations of ozone. Hydroxyl generators create reactive hydroxyl molecules and super-oxide ions that effectively oxidize, or burn away, contaminants into harmless carbon dioxide and water without harming occupants. Hydroxyls also perform a more gentle cleaning and don’t require wait times to re-enter a building that has been treated.

11 Likes

This is very cool! I want one, tired of filling canisters constantly

3 Likes

That sounds really cool. I remember hearing about a company that makes a co2 generator I think it was by autopots

2 Likes

What I am finding so far is that the co2 generation is greatly influenced by overall humidity (higher generates more) and the amount of voc’s that are airborne. But even when the co2 level dips down it’s still running about 50% higher than old ambient level, if I open a tent it jumps up to that 12-1300 range.

But I might be burning off my terps, who knows. So I ain’t recommending this to anybody at this point :grinning:.

4 Likes

This is the first time I’ve heard of this device. Where’d you get it, and how much was it? I’ll have to find some info on these and their uses. If you have any links to give me a head start that’d be appreciated.
Just ordered an ozone generator 'cause I want one asap, while I’m considering ordering a better quality one now.

1 Like

will too much c2o burn terps?

1 Like

Most of these are industrial use, but I got mine from a place called Odorstop. Was about $750 I think.
Be careful of ozone, both around you and your plants.

1 Like

I don’t think so …. I was more concerned about the hydroxyls damaging the plants, ala ozone. But after almost 2 months I’m going to say that doesn’t appear to be an issue. My co2 level is still about 2x what it used to be, but I’m not sure it’s high enough to make a big difference (it’s running 8-900 when the machine is on).

2 Likes

I’m familiar with that brand from my ozone generator searches. Damn expensive.
Have you learned anything about it yet? Are you able to verify it’s effectiveness at all?

I got a cheap china ozone generator and it makes quite a stink, not the smell I expected. Smells like chemical plastic-y is the best way I can describe it. No way to tell what it’s doing, or the levels of ozone it makes in ‘x’ amount of time.

1 Like

I’d guess that 800-900 ppm of co2 is much better than 400-450 (ambient).

1 Like

Yeah, that’s not a bad description of ozone IMO, add a bit of metallic chlorine in there …. Best not to be around it if you can smell it, same with living plants …

My CO2 is consistently running 900 plus, here it is now …

1 Like

DId you ever see that thread someone posted about the API for pulse being released or “open”? I think the member who posted this was doing some automation using pulse, since the company opened it. (Application Programming Interface, is that what API stands for?).

Sounded like a pretty big deal and very cool of the company to do that.

1 Like

Yeah, I know Pulse allows you to pull the data, which is cool. But I’d need to run a Pi or some other micro computer to run Home Assistant or something similar. Haven’t got to that point yet.

I actually have my Pulse Pro offered for sale …. Growlink has come out with a decently priced environmental sensor that I could incorporate there, it would be nice to consolidate some of these apps

1 Like

You mean this one ESM3 Climalink Sensor SDI-12 (PRE-ORDER) – Growlink?
I wonder what the actual sensor parts are.
Cool.

Yeah that’s it, but they are also pushing one out that doesn’t have CO2 and it’s $199 vs. $399 for the co2. If I go that way I’d probably go with the cheaper one .

1 Like

Cool.
Yea, I’m not sure what I’ll go for next - if anything. But I’ve been liking the atlas scientific stuff for years (from afar). Though that almost certainly requires some learning and application of stuff like raspi/arduino and software/coding. I duno if I have the time or ability. But I do have an rpi with home assistant running on it that I haven’t touched since getting that far. Haha.

1 Like