I need a beginners crash course in PPM

mix up a batch how you normally would and measure after each part and note that down, with that you can replicate that same concentration on your next batch

and yeah if there are charts available for your line of nutrients thats a place to start, though if your already using them and have a decent level they you already know what works somewhat for you as a baseline

indeed it is… my taps usally in the 0.04ec “20ppm” and 7.2-7.6pH range, you have some alkaline water down there sir thats for sure

2 Likes

Ok. So there’s no “set standard”… use a bit of trial and error, nutrient specific. If it thrives at 400 ppm but burns at 500, keep it closer to 400

2 Likes

Someone told me once to bring the water ppm up to 160 using calmag on another forum and it burnt the shit out of my plants,now I don’t ouch the water ppm lol

This is a good subject and I would like to know more as well

1 Like

Now, whats the difference between ec and ppm

2 Likes

exactly you pay attention to the plants then get to know what works for you

ec and ppm are just different ways of expressing the same thing

3 Likes

Ask your questions bud, I’m hoping this helps other clueless bastards like us lol… loving how its exploded already!

4 Likes

here ill break it down

whats being measured is microsiemens “μS”

say 1000 μS is measured
that = 1.0EC
or 500ppm on a 0.5 scaled ppm meter
or 700ppm on a 0.7 scaled ppm meter

all of them are the same measurement

Just helps to know what you have and it will tell you typically on the label or in the manual

8 Likes

Wait… so. Ppm is bullshit. EC is more of a constant standard?

5 Likes

I’m feeding using a one part flower salt but on occasion I’ll add cal mag or silica at 2 mils to a gal and lower the flower nute to stay at a max ppm .

Nice thing with a meter you can see as well as know what each chemical effects the mixture.

4 Likes

I striated reloading ammo, expecting "precision " only to find out its "precision plus a bit of meh close enough " lol i take it this us the same idea

2 Likes

its not bullshit just another way of saying the same thing, like saying 1inch or 2.54cm its the same

but technical side of it should be μS or mS

6 Likes

European vs North American measurements
There also is the 2 settings 500 and 700 scale on the meter I run the 500 scale

3 Likes

Metric vs Imperial :wink:

2 Likes

I shouldn’t be a 6 pack deep while figuring this out. So forgive the potentially stupid questions but.

Ok. My meter says its calibrated to 342 ppm. Then what

Tap water 30 ppm
Weak nute solution… 260 ppm

2 Likes

its calibrated at 342ppm just cause thats one of the easy “calibration solutions” and thats where it come out at for that specific solution which i think its NaCl, you can ignore that though as its not like your measuring in the 10000ppm range and need to have accuracy up there and have your meter calibrated in that range.

but yeah if a 260ppm is a weak solution for you then thats your base point for a weak solution

ppm/ec meters just allow you to replicate certain values more consistently than say eyeballing or volume or weight at times

2 Likes

I think that just answered all my questions! There’s no set numbers. Its more situational to your specific nutrients/plants and their reactions…

4 Likes

It also works good to check your run off also.

What would i be looking for in my runoff?

higher value than going in means they arent consuming it all, lower value means they are consuming more than they are given.

example say i feed MC to my plants say at 1.6ec, if the run off is 1.5-1.7ec thats fine as its not far off the starting value assuming the plants are looking happy, if its 2.0 or greater that means i have some build up happening.

5 Likes