Is Breeding Still a lucrative trade?

Yes. Indoor Oz is anywhere from 200-400. Outdoor… shit I can get it as low as $21+ tax in the right time of year.

3 Likes

lol. Well we are hopefully less random in our selection than two people getting together and having babies because they were drunk and horny lol. That’s natural selection. We are trying to intervene here :slight_smile:

For breeding vs growing the trait contribution of a plant is where it’s value is, it’s exactly that bit of information that you are trying to extract and pass on to your cross. It’s probably why DJ short has made a career from blueberry , he knows the plant and nearly everything that it will bring to a cross before he spends any time on it.

8 Likes

Breeding should be a passion project IMHO, doing it to make a quick buck just leads to the crappy breeding practices we have now in the industry…

For anyone serious about selection, its impact on offspring and making educated guesses about actually making a cross or stabilizing a line, I can highly recommend the book:
Selection Methods in Plant Breeding by Izak Bos and Peter Caligari >> it is still useful if you skip the math heavy stuff!

(it can be found without paying just saying)

Cheers,
eS :tropical_drink:

6 Likes

You know everybody’s motives? or just mine? how?

Crossing or Selfing plants is the way we learn about them and what they will contribute.

Absolutely. Luckily for me there are other growers that are interested in the same stuff as me… just as i’m sure there are plenty that aren’t… but they may be interested in somebody else’s work (or whatever word you might like to use for it)
cheers
VG

3 Likes

Did you miss the part of actually growing the progeny?

When you’ve been line breeding for generations and selecting for just the right plants to get what you wanted. And then seeing someone just cross two cuts together that they didn’t create and make bank for it. Really discourages people who take the time to do the actual work

8 Likes

This. Branded clothing, hats, packpacks etc. is good marketing tool. To visually get your brand into the world.

@supershitfuck has a silkscreening business (T-shirts, hoodies, you name it), so i highly recommend talking w him if anyone has a Brand they want more eyes to see.

5 Likes

Seeds are the least lucrative. Selling a lifestyle is what people do now. The bud is just a name drop at a party.

Here’s a really good example. The guy that brought out “Lemon Cherry Gelato.”

7 Likes

Well this thread really took off, I wasn’t expecting that but I enjoy reading others perspective on the subject

5 Likes

I don’t know anything about your motivations, nor did I comment on them, why so defensive?

If you cross two unknown polyhybrids together then you will learn very little. Selfing is just the most extreme form of inbreeding that can be done in a single generation, it doesn’t show you anything about a plants contribution or value to a cross.
I have no problem with selfing as such, I do have a problem with buying a pack of ten seeds and getting ten different plants and three hermies. If I pay for a seed, I would want what is advertised, not a random pick and mix.

Exactly,. It’s good to find agreement :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Actually sir… it shows recessive traits…

1 Like

If you’ve worked something unique down multiple generations to stability, I’m happy to pay you for your time. Otherwise with legal tents and seeds everywhere, there’s little reason to buy unless you are just getting started, which means you’re going to go with the most marketed seeds and seedbanks. Anyone can chuck two plants, grow the progeny (or not usually) and slap a catchy name. I can do that too, so I don’t understand paying for it. When seeds were impossible to find and everyone was growing brick weed bag seeds, seedbanks could make money from people reading high times or going to ADam. It was the only way. The world is overgrown with seeds now thankfully, so look at the market like any other business if you think you can compete. Also consider how much money even the biggest seed breeders make and it’s not going to be a lot unless you’re friends with Bummer, I mean Berner.

6 Likes

Most of the traits we are interested in are polymorphic though, it’s very rarely as simple as Mendel’s punnetts and dominant/recessive traits, unfortunately. Canabinoids production tends to be additive for example.

5 Likes

Speaking of Berner I don’t understand why GSC is so hyped… I grew out his cut and it was nothing particularly special.

9 Likes

Marketing and a newly created legal customer base with little knowledge around and experience with, cannabis. He got the hip hop community to rap about it and we’ve had to live with a decade+ of recycled gelato bagseeds, cardboard terps, bummer weak highs and Rick and Morty with people chucking the same dispo clones to other dispo clones of the same gelato bagseeds.

6 Likes

Absolute madness: GSC Thin Mints (Clone Only Strains) :: Lineage & Hybrids

6 Likes

I wish I could earn a living just making seeds and stuff but I’m the kinda guy who wants to play with stuff like deep chunk… lol

5 Likes

To answer the title question;
Lucrative;
Not at all.

5 Likes

What Country or state is getting those #s?

1 Like

California. Quarter OZ for 5.50

2 Likes