Is there a stage when getting the light as close as possible is good/bad?

Trying to figure out the light distance. When getting the light very close, the plants seem to develop faster and producing bigger main buds…

But I am not sure if I should go beyond the recommended light height???

Is there a stage where it would be especially beneficial or good to go with the light close?

It depends on what kind of light you use (LED’s are cooler). You have to put your hand right over the canopy and see if you feel too much heat. If you see the leaves tips bended or burnt it is too close. If you put it too close while seedling-stretching the distance between the nodes will be minimal and you may have later on problems with humidity and mold as the air won’t circulate between them … :sunglasses:

5 Likes

It will also cause fox tailing if you get the light too close in flower. Can also make your buds fluffy. I would stick with the recommended heights, if you don’t want to gamble messing up the buds.

3 Likes

^^^^^^^THISSSSSSSSSSSS!!!^^^^^^^^^^

Definitely don’t go through my current issue of powdery mildew halfway through the grow

2 Likes

Also this. Its awful when you get a nice looking bud to find out it grinds up to a smaller volume after grinding up as it apparently was mostly air inside that solid feeling nug or something IDK

2 Likes

ok so buds get fluffly because of not enough light or too much light?

2 Likes

Heat generated from too much light can give fluffy buds. I’ve never had a strain fuck up for having too much light.

4 Likes

Why a bud gets fluffy when its getting too hot from lights???

Heat dissipation most likely is my guess. IDK for sure, but it makes sense to me if they transpire too much they’ll make room for the transpiration to not cause mold or other pathogens that would prevent it from passing it’s seed for the next generation to grow.

1 Like

One of the biggest we make when starting is light too close.
Start of on the safe side and move your light closer.

1 Like

Yesterday I looked and some of the plants stretched their leaves upward. Does it mean they not get enough light? Light was already the closest the manufacturer recommends… :-/

1 Like

That’s called phototropism, and it’s normal. It’s just moving to try and take in as much light as possible.

1 Like

Learn something new everyday. Though I think he’s talking about what I like to call “super praying” where the leaves come up that much they touch one another but that’s not a bad thing either IMO.

@SamandMax love the name but you keep making these threads asking new questions with no plant pictures. You would be much better off starting a thread to show off your grow and asking questions there with pictures for reference.

3 Likes

I know, pictures are worth more than thousand words. But I consider them a bit a security risk. Also dont like have them on my phone…, I am not sure how to remove them completely… clear thumbcache etc, exif files and you never know what apps access your photos…

So far what I have read is that it is a good sign when the plants show leaves going upwards. And it doesn’t mean they have not enough light.

Super praying? Couldn’t find a picture or something else about that?

EDIT: Now I was reading the following: 'Sometimes the first sign a plant is getting too much light is all the leaves start pointing up or “praying”.

haha :smiley: