Is this TMV?

Hang in there… don’t give up yet… you got this!!

1 Like

Nope, VH1…thanks Keller :wink:! LOL :laughing:

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

In veg I use a pyrethrin based spray (Dr doom pest control) and recite 2 hail Marys.

Spray top and bottom, very lightly on top of soil, repeat in 3-4 days and they’re gone.

In flower, I use chopsticks and 6 hail Marys.

Hope this helps :pray:

I tried dish soap and black soap and it slowed them down/seemed to control the population but didn’t rid my plants completely. It could be that the recipes i used weren’t on point…

2 Likes

If the 1st application doesn’t do it you can always try 4 Hail Marys in Veg…

3 Likes

I once knocked a dude out with a Bible cause he smelled like sulfur.

As for aphids, spray

4 Likes

Oh yeah, you absolutely can get ALL the viruses from seed no problem if the mom was infected when seeds were being made. TMV/HMV, HpLvD, etc all can transfer to seeds. You can bleach wash the seeds before germinating but that won’t clean the plantlet inside, only anything on the outside of the seed-coat. H2O2 won’t do anything at all for HpLvD.

6 Likes

Well I’m not saying you can’t, you definitely can. From what I understand transmission rate to progeny is kinda low, no?

I’m admittedly no expert, I heard 10%… never really went down the rabbit hole, last clone I took in was 10 years ago and been running basically my own crosses/f2s I made from older gear for some time now…

3 Likes

I haven’t seen any conclusive paper on the exact transmission rates of tmv/hmv nor hplvd, much less those rates in cannabis. I’ve “heard” 10-15% but if you look at how these plant virus’ work from the few papers there are, mostly about other plants and their similar virus’, some transmission rates are low(10-15%) and some are damn near 100%. Even 0.0031% is enough to cause an epidemic.

Most of these virus’ won’t infect the embryo though, and only the seedcoat. So bleaching before germinating could be all you need but again, nothing conclusive here yet. If they infect the embryo the only saving it is meristem tissue culture.

5 Likes

Most curious about this thing you said… how does that work? Like fractal banking or compound interest ?

2 Likes

something like 1 in 3000 seeds :thinking:

3 Likes

OK but how does 1 in 3k lead to an epidemic, excuse my possible shortsightedness but this sounds like some papa government melon hat sponsored maths :thinking:

2 Likes

yeah i’d have to go find the paper again that quoted it. But it’s no different than anything else. If the virus spreads through embryo’s along with every other way of transmission… it would only take the one plant and a single fungus gnat to infect an entire operation. Not to think of sharing water and/or tools too.

6 Likes

Well, I think if someone was to attempt to spread a pot disease on purpose, with unlimited funds, he’d still fail.

I had a few distasteful examples which I’ll refrain from…

3 Likes

Here’s the paper that had the “0.003% could cause an epidemic”

and then this was an interesting one too

6 Likes

Started digging…

The article you linked cites this book for the .003

If you search the book for the word “low” paragraph of interest should be 1st result.

The book cites this 1977 study on peanuts

Charts
2-Table1-1

To be continued… (more of a self note than an argument against the stats​:wink: for now :joy:)

3 Likes

Go to sierranaturalscience.com ALL natural and w-o-r-k-s!! Leave your spare Change in the Tip Jar, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

That maybe the issue! Looking back the mom was giving me a lot of problems so maybe she was sick with something. She never grew much bud an what was there had almost zero trichomes, I don’t know if there’s a virus that causes that?

2 Likes

After a couple days my plants are looking a lot healthier. I applied de to each pot, gave them a little epsom salt. It was also recommended to use way less of the Miracle-Gro then I’m using so I’m going to do that

Unfortunately the plant I was worried about isn’t recovering as well. I may just write it off an cull it

3 Likes

@Mithridate - not the aphids, but whatever scare-I-gation 🥹 variegation situation is looks like the clap to me :man_shrugging:

Sorry to be the asshole telling you it’s doomed @Heather420 but as @PioneerValleyOG said, just trying to save some time & effort.

Ever miss a spot when spraying & return to find the varmints still ravaging your womenfolk? :sweat_smile:

All that said I’m working with some infected clones testing STS/selfing just to see what happens. :microscope::relaxed:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

I suppose it could be ? I’m certainly not speaking from a place of authority lol. A single photo and the specimen being from seed did push me toward variegation…

Is there a sure way to differentiate between variegated and something viral? George pointed to the lesions pattern.

I’ve met the borg, yeah :confused:

That said, pests are basically eating and making babies as their whole purpose indoors, not sure it’s comparable to the cited .003 transmission rate in an infection.

If 1 in 3000 mites could reproduce, would they be as much of Satan’s spawn?

4 Likes