Jacks Nutrients

Here’s a quick summary after pumping the transcript through GPT4.

GreenGene discusses nutrient formulations for plant growth in the video. Here’s a more technical summary with actionable notes:

1. Introduction and Technical Difficulties: The video starts with a brief introduction and mentions some technical difficulties related to the camera setup.
  2. Jack’s 0 12 26 Nutrient Formula: GreenGene introduces Jack’s 0 12 26 as a key topic of discussion. This formula is compared to similar products like Athena and Master Blend but is distinct because it contains zero nitrogen.
  3. Composition Changes: GreenGene explains that Jack’s 0 12 26 differs from its predecessor, which contained nitrogen in the form of potassium nitrate. In the new formula, they removed the potassium nitrate and replaced it with potassium sulfate to eliminate nitrogen. This results in a shift in the nutrient composition, particularly increasing sulfur levels.
  4. Micro Nutrient Consistency: Despite these changes, the micro-nutrient content in Jack’s 0 12 26 remains identical to the original formula. This consistency is highlighted as a positive aspect.
  5. Analysis and Formula Ratios: GreenGene delves into the analysis of the formula and provides specific ratios for using Jack’s 0 12 26, including grams per gallon. This includes adjusting calcium nitrate levels to achieve the desired nitrogen concentration.
  6. Calcium and Magnesium Considerations: GreenGene acknowledges that the formula may result in higher calcium levels, potentially reaching 185 parts per million, which could lead to issues like potassium and magnesium imbalances. However, he mentions that this hasn’t caused problems in his experience.
  7. Transition to Vegetative Growth: GreenGene discusses how to use Jack’s 0 12 26 for vegetative growth, noting that achieving an ideal nitrogen level of around 150 parts per million may require additional calcium nitrate.
  8. Maintaining Consistency: Consistency in nutrient levels is emphasized as essential for achieving optimal plant growth. GreenGene suggests using Jack’s 0 12 26 as part of a low constant feed (LCF) regimen for maintaining stable nutrient levels.
  9. Temperature and Environmental Control: The video briefly touches on the importance of maintaining proper environmental conditions, including temperature, to prevent nutrient deficiencies under LED lighting.
  10. Calcium and Nitrogen Ratios: GreenGene emphasizes the importance of maintaining a calcium to nitrogen ratio in your nutrient solution. He mentions targeting a fantastic 150 parts per million of calcium.
  11. Adjusting Nitrogen Levels: GreenGene advises that you can adjust nitrogen levels as your plants progress through different growth stages. For instance, in late flower, you might want to decrease nitrogen to around 80 parts per million to encourage senescence and fading.
  12. Calcium’s Role in Late Flowering: He highlights that having a higher calcium level is crucial in late flowering, as it helps fight against issues like botrytis (bud rot) without needing to switch to calcium sulfate or calcium chloride.
  13. Tapering Off Nitrogen: GreenGene suggests gradually reducing nitrogen levels as you approach the end of the flowering stage. You can drop it to around 40 parts per million, although he admits that it’s almost negligible at this point.
  14. Potassium Levels: He discusses potassium levels and mentions that 200 parts per million of potassium is typically a good target for plant growth. However, he cites studies indicating that potassium levels between 150 and 350 parts per million don’t significantly impact yield or quality.
  15. Nutrient Ratios: GreenGene addresses the question of calcium-to-magnesium ratios and points out that the new formula he’s discussing (Jack’s 0 12 26) achieves a close to 3:1 ratio, which is considered a good range.
  16. Using Hydro Buddy for Nutrient Calculations: He demonstrates the use of the Hydro Buddy calculator to adjust nutrient ratios and achieve specific electrical conductivity (EC) levels in your nutrient solution. The tool allows you to fine-tune nutrient concentrations based on your preferences.
  17. Availability of Nutrient Formulas: GreenGene mentions that Jack’s nutrient formulas can be found at hydroponic stores, such as GrowGen. He also discusses where to find Master Blend and Athena nutrient products.
  18. Micronutrient Considerations: He hints at the importance of micronutrients like magnesium, boron, molybdenum, and iron in nutrient formulations, indicating that these elements can vary between different nutrient products.

Video Takeaway’s:

• Pay attention to calcium-to-nitrogen ratios in your nutrient solution, aiming for around 150 parts per million of calcium.
  • Adjust nitrogen levels as your plants progress through different growth stages, with lower nitrogen levels in late flowering.
  • Consider tapering off nitrogen levels as you approach the end of the flowering stage, potentially dropping to around 40 parts per million.
  • Target around 200 parts per million of potassium for plant growth, but be aware of studies suggesting that potassium levels between 150 and 350 parts per million may not significantly impact yield or quality.
  • Maintain a balanced calcium-to-magnesium ratio in your nutrient solution, aiming for a 3:1 ratio.
  • Utilize tools like Hydro Buddy to calculate and adjust nutrient ratios and electrical conductivity levels in your nutrient solution.
  • Find nutrient formulas like Jack’s, Master Blend, or Athena at hydroponic stores for your gardening needs.
  • Stay mindful of micronutrients like magnesium, boron, molybdenum, and iron in nutrient formulations, as these can vary between products.
  • Consider using Jack’s 0 12 26 as a zero-nitrogen alternative to other nutrient formulas for specific growth needs.
  • Adjust calcium nitrate levels to achieve the desired nitrogen concentration when using Jack’s 0 12 26.
  • Monitor calcium and magnesium levels in your plants when using this formula, especially during vegetative growth.
  • Focus on maintaining consistent nutrient levels to promote healthy plant growth.
  • Pay attention to environmental factors, such as temperature, to prevent nutrient deficiencies when growing under LED lighting.
9 Likes

Free shipping on the 25lb of 0-12-26 if anyone was waiting until the shipping wasn’t 30$+.

Jack’s Nutrients Zero Nitrogen Formula 0-12-26 Feed Part A, 25lb Bag https://a.co/d/dIhxAa8

8 Likes

I just wanted to give a shout-out to a real OG @Tripl3fastaction who gifted me a nice sized brick of the Jacks finisher to try out from their 25lb bag, I love this place folks:

17 Likes

Very interested in the results
Please let us know how it turns out

2 Likes

I will! I’m not in hydro so the results won’t be quite as clear, but I have been realizing the advantages of using smaller pots in semi-soilless organics because it lets the plant suck out all the medium-based nutes by the end of flower and hopefully this gives a nice fat finish even more than my current experiments with 10-30-20 Blossom Booster transitioning into straight K in the last few weeks with langbeinite and Maxicrop.

5 Likes

Here’s a thought I had — perhaps 0-12-26 is inherently an even more flexible formula than 5-12-26, because you can use magnesium nitrate instead of Epsom.

Veg: you run the recipe using magnesium nitrate in the same amount you would normally use epsom with 5-12-26. This brings your nitrogen back up.

Flower: you run the recipe using epsom. This drops your nitrogen back down how you’d want it when you normally use 0-12-26

I’d have to run the numbers through hydrobuddy, but I think it would work out pretty close to ideal.

10 Likes

I’m testing 3.86 grams to about 2 gallon water.
I’m using Jack’s 20-5 -15, I’ve been feeding them every other watering cycle this. I’ve never tried the stuff. I’ve also combined Grow well organics omri from Lowes to the feeding schedule 2 times in 2 months. It seems to work well with Jack’s 20 5 15. And the measurement I use. I rarely feed plants throughout a growing season. Most is just plain water I use. I go by the color of the plants to determine when they need food.

Since this method is new for me, I’m learning as I go using Jack’s fertilizer for growing.
I usually use a mostly rabbit and duck combo for veg plants. Then budswell flowering formula for flowering until harvest.

6 Likes

5-12-26 + CalNit + Epsom = 150ppm N, 86.3ppm Mg (+/-)

0-12-26 + MagNit (@5.2) = 151ppm N, 194ppm Mg (+/-).

Pretty high number on the MagNit combo.

5 Likes

You would only replace the epsom with magnesium nitrate. You still need calcium nitrate, because it’s the only source for calcium.

4 Likes

Could use calcium sulfate for calcium instead, and still use the magnite :thinking:

5 Likes

I don’t know how I missed that part. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’m trying to say that if you wanted to stop buying 5-12-26 completely and use 0-12-26 for everything instead, you can do it with magnesium nitrate to replace the lost N in the base formula.

So you would buy this:
Calcium nitrate
Magnesium nitrate
Epsom
0-12-26

Instead of this:
Calcium nitrate
Epsom
5-12-26
0-12-26

By not having any nitrogen in the formula, it’s more flexible and gives you a wider range of numbers you can hit. You could also buy potassium nitrate if you wanted to mess with magnesium numbers.

8 Likes

hmm yeah I updated the spreadsheet and that looks pretty decent :thinking:
Not too far off from maxibloom numbers actually :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Egg shells and vinegar make calcium phosphate correct?

1 Like

Calcium acetate

6 Likes

I use Ca Acetate from bulknutrientsupply.com to supplement my Ca when dropping NO3. You only need a little to hit your numbers. It is 25.34% Ca. I’ve also been using Cal Prime from Haifa. Better N to Ca ratios. You can get various size containers from customhydronutes.com when he has it in stock. If your in the states of course.

3 Likes

Sorry, bulksupplements.com

2 Likes

Been following this thread for some time. When I was seriously looking at Jacks I wasn’t sure what to get. Local place was limited. I’ve also been following @Slownickel on Insta. I’m way more tempted to go his route, than Jack’s. Finances prohibit either right now.
I ended up using GH Maxibloom. We’ll see, but I think I like GH Lucas formula better. The Maxi drops my ph a bunch, so I have to ph adjust everything I mix now. My back dictates I mix only what I can easily carry, so kind of a pain.

4 Likes

Anyone else using Jacks at a higher EC rate? I am at 3.2 at the end of veg/beginning of flower and my plants are loving it. Still seeing slight purple streaking in the stems so I feel like I might be able to go even higher. I don’t see the slightest hint of leaf tip burn.

I grow under LEDs with about 600 - 650 ppfd at the canopy at 12 hours of light so about a 25+ DLI.

I am going to try to up the ppfd to 800-850 to give me a DLI of about 35 for the peak of flower time. I will push the feed up to 3.6 - 4.0 EC to help push the plants into high gear.

Just wanted to see if there are any other high EC folks out there. I think you definitly need LEDs for this high an EC though.

4 Likes

Not that high, but I run at about 2.3 - 2.5.
Rockwool, drain to waste
LED bar style at about 950 ppfd
I try to get temp up to 82f if I can.

Since I really started to push light and EC and temp - plants have never looked better. I truly believe that the various “deficiencies” and “lockouts” I was experiencing were simply under feeding.

You can feed low EC and run lower light levels and grow perfectly fine cannabis. Or, you could increase both and, in my opinion, grow better cannabis.

3 Likes