Jelly's Laboratory - A collection of my Experiments

I won’t be doing that on the refit of the grow room lol. Rest easy friend lol.

1 Like

damn i already ordered i think… will have to spread thin i guess. these pcbs don’t even require thermal grease but if it can drop it by a couple degrees C that would be cool. i should have gotten extra for my other 4 boards.

does thermal compound work like glue? will it seal my boards to the heatsink?

1 Like

No, they make have thermal adhesive for that, but the compound says soft and plyable.

Will there be anything to secure it to the heat sink?

1 Like

yeah it’s screwed in i just wanted to make sure i’d be able to take them off afterwards. sorry for shitting up your thread @Jellypowered i just knew u were familiar with this stuff maybe someone can move it out

2 Likes

No worries friend, Information posted up has been relevant, I don’t feel like anything needs moved. :slight_smile:

Carry on!

2 Likes

Figured this was my best topic for the following post:

I made a DIY tumbler.

I found the original build on Opengrow DIY Ice Cream machine Hash Tumbler

and set out to build my own.

Not the straightest nibbles, but it works.

Added aluminum angle inside with rivets.

What the finished product looks like.

Ice cream maker - 25$ - Amazon
two 6" hose clamps - 4$ - hardware store
hvac tape - 8$ for the roll (had on hand)
3 yards 110 mesh silk screen fabric - 15$ - Amazon
aluminum angle for support - 3$ - hardware store
Package of rivets - 3$ - hardware store

Total: 58$
I’m not counting the 12$ nibbler i bought off amazon as it’ll have other uses someday.

Ran a baggie that I processed with the blender and knocked most the trics off during said processor in this for like 5 minutes, this was what I got. I don’t think it’s too bad considering the blender had knocked off most if not all the visible trichomes.

Now I need to get busy and grow more so I can build up more kief :smiley:

13 Likes

Looks good Jelly man.

Hope the other half doesn’t miss the blender, lol.

1 Like

Nah she will get a shiny new one once the house is finished so she didn’t mind lol

4 Likes

Ok, I’ve just ran 1/4 of Grass Monkey through my DIY tumbler and here are my initial thoughts and observations.

Input:
7.5G rough trimmed Grass Monkey.
Room Temperature.
No weighted balls or anything just natural tumbling action.
10 minutes time on the slowest I could make the rotation with a cheap “variable fan speed” controller.
110 mesh 43T (Should be around 150 micron which is coarse based on the information i’ve read)

Output:
Unfortunately my scale wouldn’t register any weight. It needs about .5 grams to start picking up .1 increments.
So not much.

Pictures:

Starting bud.

In process shot.

Result. (the leaf matter is from opening the lid of the tumbler on top of the paper)

Closer

And interesting to me because this is what every bag of weed i’ve ever bought looks like. It kinda :bulb: for me lol. Still has frost on it, but it’s VERY manicured looking now.

Further musings:

• The lid with the 5 gallon bucket gasket sucks. Going to run a silicone bead inside the lid so less sticks between the seal and lid surface.

• The various nooks and crannies need to fill up with product to stop losses lol.

• Yield would probably be much higher with weighted balls to aid breaking up bud.

• Frozen bud would also probably increase Yield.

• Bud that has been tumbled looks like bud you buy on the street (at least here)

• The smell coming off the hash is amazingly concentrated. It’s like when you first open a jar after a long cure.

I’ll have to wait till wifey samples some to give flavor impressions.

10 Likes

Ran a bunch of trim and some crappy popcorn buds… Probably had about an ounce of material.

In preperation for the run this evening, I de-stemmed and broke everything up by hand (lose chunks, leaves broken to crumbles, just gave everything a good squeeze) then put it in the freezer for 24hrs)

In process shot:

Before scraping it into a pile:

The resulting weight

And a close up:

My next test will be to add weights and run the already processed material to see what comes out. :slight_smile:

Thanks for tuning back in!

18 Likes

That looks very delicious. Let me know if you need testers lol

2 Likes

@Gaz29
Check-out Jelly’s Hash maker. :wink:

2 Likes

Cleaned up a few things, Figured it’s time to open this back up.

Enjoy the reads!

Jelly

8 Likes

You getting some new stuff started bro?

2 Likes

Super read you my friend have a lot going on

Love you builds and repurposing of everyday things :smile:

enjoyed reading your thread and looking at the photos of what you

have going on

all the best in your work

Dequilo

2 Likes

Cola, I am already less than 20 days from an auto harvest, I downsized right now to a small Mr Sparkle style setup.

A small preview:

Dequilo, thank you very much for the kind words!

I will be reopening my Cab Adventures thread soon, after I clean it up, will take a minute as it’s almost 700 replies long though. Lots of good information to be shared in that thread, just have to make some of the identifiable info go away haha :joy:

Jelly

14 Likes

Nice man. Those are looking very mr.sparklesque too. What you running in there?

1 Like

A bit of an update:
Around 60 days ago I planted 4 auto beans.
Dark Devil F2 from Mr Sparkle
Devil Cream by sweetseeds
Black Cream by sweetseeds
Sweet TrainWreck by sweet seeds.

The first sweet trainwreck seed was a dud, so it’s about a week or two behind. It’s also the biggest plant in the setup.

Here they are at day 60:

A closeup of the biggest Dark Devil bud:

And one of the random smaller buds from the Black Cream:

I had some issues when i started with megacrop, i couldn’t keep the PH stable/res fresh enough for my liking. I switched to Jacks mid run, and am happy with the results so far. We shall see how it does in the final product but i’ve used jacks before on other grows and never had any issues.

Next run i’ll be focusing on making some seeds with the remaining auto beans I have. :wink:

Jelly

Edit: As an afterthought:
This reminder is mostly for myself, I’m only using 75w of light.

Overall i’m happy with my small cab investment. I loved the big shed space but it was such a PITA to carry water out there, and control the environment.

I think it’s safe to say I enjoy cab growing more than big space growing. I keep coming back to it.

My ideal cab will closely resemble my first cab on this site, a 2x3 with enough space for 6 plants. I’ll keep rocking this 1.5x1.5 till other projects get completed though.

Not looking to start any BS with the following statement, just my observations:
Bridgelux EB Gen 2 strips are very nice, and so much cheaper (IMO) than sol strips. Mostly due to not needing heatsinks imo, but still, great performance from what I can tell. There’s almost NO heat even at the max current. With all that said, lets not forget I had very nice grows with my solstrip rack. They perform, no doubt about that. I downsized back to a cab for more control over environment, stealth, and lets face it, I’m a cab grower. I love the tinkering.

Enough rambling, Enjoy the pics!

17 Likes

Which Jacks formula are you using? I was gonna try it out with my next container grows outside as Megacrop always gives me some weird deficiency that I can never put my finger on.

3 Likes