Jelly's Laboratory - A collection of my Experiments

I think I’ll move mine to the tub as well

2 Likes

Just a friendly tip I picked up in the aquarium world, always keep your pump above the water line unless you have a check valve. If your pump goes out, you could end up with 55-gallons of water on the floor. Ask me how I know… :thumbsup: :fish:

9 Likes

hey @Jellypowered sorry if this is OT but do i want silicone or non-silicone thermal grease for heatsinks?? bought some new boards and i want to run them 17% harder than the heatsinks rated :smiley: thanks

also how far does the stuff go? would 1oz tube cover 1.5-2 sqf area?

1 Like

@legalcanada Most silicone vs silver based arguments have been over for a while, most concluded that either would be more than adequate as a thermal interface material (TIM) as long as they are produced by a well known manufacturer.

As a personal preference, Myself I prefer silver based, simply for the fact in my Computer overclocks it’s the difference of at least 2-3C. If you don’t have TIM on your boards now, I think you’ll be impressed no matter which compound you choose.

As to how far it goes? I still have 7/8 of the 20g TIM i bought. 20G Thermal Compound

I think 1oz will go pretty far.

1 Like

is NTE a good brand? am ordering a driver from arrow n that was first hit on their search results for thermal grease. would 1oz tube cover 1.5-2 sqf area?

3 Likes

Everyone has different styles of application I use a spare plastic card to spread mine very thin as you don’t need to cake it on there. I did my 10 strips (10 1" x 18" (1.25sq ft) ) and barely used any of my less than 1oz tube.

2 Likes

I didn’t even bother on my strips. Just got lazy and hate fucking with that messy shit. :grin:

3 Likes

I hear ya. Sometimes I cut corners on my own projects just to get them done lol

1 Like

Lalala I’m not listening :hear_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :hear_no_evil:

@legalcanada You might need a little more than 1oz for 2 sq ft…I would get 10 oz just to have in case you need to reapply for whatever reason

4 Likes

I won’t be doing that on the refit of the grow room lol. Rest easy friend lol.

1 Like

damn i already ordered i think… will have to spread thin i guess. these pcbs don’t even require thermal grease but if it can drop it by a couple degrees C that would be cool. i should have gotten extra for my other 4 boards.

does thermal compound work like glue? will it seal my boards to the heatsink?

1 Like

No, they make have thermal adhesive for that, but the compound says soft and plyable.

Will there be anything to secure it to the heat sink?

1 Like

yeah it’s screwed in i just wanted to make sure i’d be able to take them off afterwards. sorry for shitting up your thread @Jellypowered i just knew u were familiar with this stuff maybe someone can move it out

2 Likes

No worries friend, Information posted up has been relevant, I don’t feel like anything needs moved. :slight_smile:

Carry on!

2 Likes

Figured this was my best topic for the following post:

I made a DIY tumbler.

I found the original build on Opengrow DIY Ice Cream machine Hash Tumbler

and set out to build my own.

Not the straightest nibbles, but it works.

Added aluminum angle inside with rivets.

What the finished product looks like.

Ice cream maker - 25$ - Amazon
two 6" hose clamps - 4$ - hardware store
hvac tape - 8$ for the roll (had on hand)
3 yards 110 mesh silk screen fabric - 15$ - Amazon
aluminum angle for support - 3$ - hardware store
Package of rivets - 3$ - hardware store

Total: 58$
I’m not counting the 12$ nibbler i bought off amazon as it’ll have other uses someday.

Ran a baggie that I processed with the blender and knocked most the trics off during said processor in this for like 5 minutes, this was what I got. I don’t think it’s too bad considering the blender had knocked off most if not all the visible trichomes.

Now I need to get busy and grow more so I can build up more kief :smiley:

13 Likes

Looks good Jelly man.

Hope the other half doesn’t miss the blender, lol.

1 Like

Nah she will get a shiny new one once the house is finished so she didn’t mind lol

4 Likes

Ok, I’ve just ran 1/4 of Grass Monkey through my DIY tumbler and here are my initial thoughts and observations.

Input:
7.5G rough trimmed Grass Monkey.
Room Temperature.
No weighted balls or anything just natural tumbling action.
10 minutes time on the slowest I could make the rotation with a cheap “variable fan speed” controller.
110 mesh 43T (Should be around 150 micron which is coarse based on the information i’ve read)

Output:
Unfortunately my scale wouldn’t register any weight. It needs about .5 grams to start picking up .1 increments.
So not much.

Pictures:

Starting bud.

In process shot.

Result. (the leaf matter is from opening the lid of the tumbler on top of the paper)

Closer

And interesting to me because this is what every bag of weed i’ve ever bought looks like. It kinda :bulb: for me lol. Still has frost on it, but it’s VERY manicured looking now.

Further musings:

• The lid with the 5 gallon bucket gasket sucks. Going to run a silicone bead inside the lid so less sticks between the seal and lid surface.

• The various nooks and crannies need to fill up with product to stop losses lol.

• Yield would probably be much higher with weighted balls to aid breaking up bud.

• Frozen bud would also probably increase Yield.

• Bud that has been tumbled looks like bud you buy on the street (at least here)

• The smell coming off the hash is amazingly concentrated. It’s like when you first open a jar after a long cure.

I’ll have to wait till wifey samples some to give flavor impressions.

10 Likes

Ran a bunch of trim and some crappy popcorn buds… Probably had about an ounce of material.

In preperation for the run this evening, I de-stemmed and broke everything up by hand (lose chunks, leaves broken to crumbles, just gave everything a good squeeze) then put it in the freezer for 24hrs)

In process shot:

Before scraping it into a pile:

The resulting weight

And a close up:

My next test will be to add weights and run the already processed material to see what comes out. :slight_smile:

Thanks for tuning back in!

18 Likes

That looks very delicious. Let me know if you need testers lol

2 Likes