Jungle Spice #6 Community IBL Project

Well don’t take my word for it. Give it a shot if you happen to have any extra seeds laying around :grinning:

1 Like

I’m trying it now. I couldn’t get my bag of Rapid Rooters from my garden shop, so I had no other choice!

On another note, I think I saw 2 seeds so far that had double taproots. Looks like I’m in for some twins as well.

7 Likes

I always wanted to use RR because it seemed like everybody always has the best success with them. More like $25 here. So, I never did.

I had used the little Jiffy plugs with great success but I hate the nylon sleeve they’re in… I started cutting them away… but, Iran out of those… I had crappy success and was trying stuff I normally don’t do anymore, but once I got my heat mat back I’m filling the little 6 pack seedling trays with peat with no perlite and went right back to 100%.

I also put the dome over them again and laid a 2 ft. tube LED on top and that light just makes them so green right off the start. Plus giving them extra light helped. I was moving the others all over, window sills, outside, sun, shade… blah, blah, blah… I decided they hate to be moved around and I’ve always been like that… ghetto. Keeping them stationary on a good spot with the mat, dome, and light gives about half the time for the same growth of my fiddling ways.

3 Likes

Hi @lefthandseeds. I read here that you added some hydrogen peroxide to help seeds crack? I’ve never heard of this before. Could you pass along some information? I tried soaking about 20 NL#4 seeds a few weeks back with zero success and maybe if i can find something that’ll help I’ll give the remaining a better chance.

7 Likes

Planted almost 50 seeds Sunday. 6 of them were the js#6 and i already have 3 up. None of my other varieties got three. Showing real signs of vigor :drooling_face::drooling_face: thanks again @lefthandseeds

6 Likes

First thing you should try is scraping the seeds. Get a piece of coarse sandpaper and roll it into a tube and tape it closed. Put the seeds inside and close off the ends with your fingers. Shake it for about 15-20 seconds so the seeds get some good scratches. Then I’d try soaking them and seeing if the open.

If they’re really old you could try reading about gibberellic acid. Couple bucks on eBay for some powder, mix in the water at the right amount and soak.

11 Likes

So it turns out that I’m useless without my rapid rooters. :sob:

Virtually all of my seedlings damped off in coco/perlite. It sucked… but I got some root riot plugs, and started over again. Fortunately I still have plenty of JS F2s to work with. :grin:

Things going much better this time…

I lost nearly all of my Cannabiogen Durbans. You can see 2 still on the struggle bus (left side, super narrow leaves). I’m hoping at least one of those pull through. In between those are 5 more Durbans that are a cross between a Dutch Durban (has a bit of skunk in it) and a landrace Durban. Leaves are not nearly as narrow on those as the CBG Durban.

Fortunately, I managed to do one of the CBG Durbans right, so not a total loss. Here’s that beauty:

The F2 jungle spice is bringing out a bit of a freakshow as well. I have a seedling that has 3 cotelydons, and 2 you can see in the picture that have one split cotelydon. :thinking:

23 Likes

So it looks like a 2nd Cannabiogen Durban is going to pull through. Bit off topic, but I have 2 different Durbans and I wanted to show everyone the (shocking) differences in leaf morphology.

In the center is the Cannabiogen Durban with obvious ultra-narrow leaves on the seedling. On the sides, are the other Durbans, which are Dutch Durban x Landrace Durban. The Dutch Durban has a small fraction of skunk, and the resulting leaves have an apparently hybrid look to them.

It’ll be interesting to see how different these plants are when mature… I just thought it interesting how easily one can spot a Durban that has hybridized, even a week of germination.

18 Likes

That’s a crazy comparison! What a difference. That’s pretty cool.

4 Likes

Transplanted this CBG Durban the other day. It’s still getting used to its new pot.

Jungle spice are the two middle rows and one wee plant way in the back left. They’re finally starting to bulk up and will probably go into new pots by the end of this coming week. Maybe I’m just impatient, but I think things have been coming up a little slow. It’s actually colder in my basement in the summer, because of the air conditioning.

Amazingly, two more of the CBG durbans seem to be pulling through. They’re the ones with the super narrow blades. On the left are the other durbans, which have pretty wide leaves by comparison. And last is a little Lesotho plant from some unworked landrace seeds I got in trade.

I’m interested in this one, because it has great potential as a pure outdoor sativa for Colorado. Similar elevation, climate zone and growing season. It might be easy to adapt here. I’m growing this plant just to check it out and see what it’s like.

12 Likes

The Durban junky in me Gets me excited to see what you pull! Good luck my man

4 Likes

:+1::+1: If all goes well, I can sling some seeds your way when they’re done. Even as babies they’re pretty stanky, so that’s a good sign! Been growing a lot of indicas this year… should be a nice change-up.

I’m really looking forward to this grow. Didn’t get any JS herbs off the F2 run, only rosin because they were packed out with seeds. I’ve long since smoked all of that goodness, but am itching for some buds.

13 Likes

Unfortunately for me my jungle spice #6 turned out to be male. Unless you or anyone else wants in Colorado is in need I will probably pull it in a few days to make way for something else.
You have peeked my interest in that Lesotho. Looking forward to seeing how that turns out. A pure sativa that would finish outdoors in Colorado would be awesome!

4 Likes

I’m interested in seeing what pops out of the Lesotho. I suspect it will need a few generations of selection before it’s worth growing… Think these are just unworked landrace. But they should adapt really easily… And the seedling is growing well so far in my low humidity basement.

3 Likes

That is strange. I too was exclusive RR user, STILL am for cut’s, but they are too $$$ when doing lots of seed runs. I use the little seed starter trays I fill with coco, the ones that have a mat that lays under the cubes and hangs into the water in the bottom tray. Have done 4 seed runs in last few months, pretty much 100 % with them. Been using the same method for rooting my cuts too, they seem to root faster in the coco than the RR’s. I use 1/4 strength veg nutes in them. ’

10 Likes

Nice! The tray I had holds much bigger cups, and I think that was the issue. I might just need to start the seeds in smaller cups like yours. Mine were damping off I think because the cups had too much coco and they never dried out.

I’ll see if I can find a tray like yours and practice on some seeds.

3 Likes

Was like 8 bucks at Home De Pot…not sure where you are or if you have those. ALL decent garden centers should have them.

The bottom tray holds water. The black fabric thing is a “wick” that lays on top of a raised center piece, sitting in the bottom pan. It is long enough so it “hangs” down into the water on 2 sides, and wicks water to the small squares. It will NOT make them too wet, in fact it keeps them and cut’s about perfect.

I love it because since going to it and the coco sold for it(cheap as Hell, like 3 bucks to make 16 gallons of the coco) I see no more soldiers with hats on. The coco is dense enough, but not too dense, that it MAKES SURE the helmet stays in the coco.

The 3rd pic I posted kinda shows how it is long on the ends, and will go down into the rez. IF you need better pics, or to see the thing the wick is laying on let me know.

I have always been good at starting seeds, but now, with this thing, I am better…lol.

9 Likes

That’s awesome. Thanks for the info. I’m gonna go looking for those things at my local garden store and see if I can replicate your setup.

When I follow my process with RR I have really good success rates… I just need to figure out a new process that doesn’t involve them. I like the method you have

5 Likes

I think there’s something like a “VPD” optimum for rooting clones that just hasn’t been describeded in detail enough…i.e. O2/CO2 saturation, not just temp & RH. Would love to know it. :grin: And strain variation/pattern in rooting…i.e. do sativas root faster/slower? :thinking:

And a huge side-by-side trial with every product & DIY method with cuttings from a single, already tested plant…

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Those trays are MONEY! Recommend 100

3 Likes