Just need some advice about growing medium

Newbie here, I’m approaching the week I’d like to flip, and I’m a little worried about my medium as I’ve only ever been able to feed/water three times during veg. I’m running in straight Promix HP+added perlite. I really should’ve considered buying some Happy Frog or some other soil to mix in a while before my plants were put into my five gallon buckets…

But well, here I am. I have three plants approaching week 8 of veg in my 2x2x55" tent, and the medium takes just under a week and a half to dry out. I’ve only got one fan in there, so ventilation might be my true problem [I’m ordering another this Friday].

I have considered buying some fabric pots, but I am a little worried about transplanting them for a second time. The last transplant wasn’t too hard on them, but, they are three times the size of what they were now, and some roots are coming out the holes I drilled in the bottom…

Just unsure what to do

Picture just for fun

10 Likes

A week and a half is a long time between waterings. What size are those pots?

I use plastic pots and roots always come out of the bottom. Transplant whenever you like. I tousle the roots if they’re really wound together.

What are you feeding them?

They look good.

4 Likes

Keep doing what your doing, they do look happy.

5 Likes

I agree. Your plants look great. :grin:

2 Likes

Your plants look good.

Did you put holes in the buckets for drainage?
That seems like a really long time to dry out between watering.

3 Likes

Everything does look great, but I agree with the others , I rarely get 3 days even after transplant/uppot .

2 Likes

Nothing out of the ordinary. Big pots compared to the plant size. Lower temps and lower light levels will also prolong the dry back. That long between waterings sounds normal to me. These plants are in 25gal pots and I have to water about every 7-9 days depending on the weather. If it’s cold outside, the heat is running in the house more = warmer and drier grow room plants drink faster. If it warms up outside, no heat running, stays cool and more humid plants drink slower.

4 Likes

Hi Foreigner!!! I’ve seen you around OG a bit, mildly fangirling right now, not gonna lie

They are in 5 gallon buckets. I’m running Lotus nutrients right now. Each feeding they’ve gotten 1/4tsp of Cal/Mag and 2/4tsp of Grow, as well as a compost tea (grower’s recharge). I end up pushing a good gallon and a half of water into each plant.

1 Like

Thank you!

Much love :heart:

Thanks and cheers.

Really most of these concerns are academic because they look healthy and happy and that’s what matters.

If you’re worried about too long before dry out you can just use a smaller volume of water. No need to saturate them unless you want to.

5 Likes

Those look like healthy small plants in big pots from here, nice job on them!

1 Like

Yes, I drilled about 5 holes per bucket in the bottom for drainage. They’re sitting on those little drainage pans with the raisers under em.

1 Like

Gotcha! I appreciate the help. I tend to be a bit of a helicopter with my plants, Lol

1 Like

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Flip them to flower, they will drink faster as you turn up the lights. GL

6 Likes

Your pots are big for those size plants, that’s why it takes so long until they dry enough to water.
The roots you see from under the pot is just main root and it’s arms and not necessarily roots all over.
Don’t worry about ventilation that much if your temp and RH are on point which you didn’t mention ?

You need to give less water each watering if you want to water more frequently, it will also aid in establishing a bigger root system therefore a bigger plant

Overall your plants look very good, some tip burn here and there but nothing serious
I think in general your doing ok, give them more frequent waterings meaning more air/water cycles
By reducing the amount of water in each watering, also raising the overall heat of your op if your in too cold temps.

In 2 weeks they should become monsters if you dial it in, and you can switch to flower in the same pot.

3 Likes

Thank you!!

My temp hangs just around 77 with 75%+ humidity lights on, it stays pretty humid in there which is likely one of the main factors…

Thank you very much!

With RH like that you can afford to go up in temp towards the 29-30c range and it will speed growth even more, it’s up to you.

Back off the nutes a lil bit so you can avoid set backs and problems, and don’t let the soil dry out too much before you water again.
Good luck bro, hope to see what you get in the end cuz it’s looking killer :wink:

2 Likes