Kailash (Chem D x Snow Lotus) Bodhi Seeds

What’s up everyone, another small update here, not much to report at the moment, things are just kind of cruising along on autopilot, these earthboxes don’t really leave you too much to do, which is good and bad to different degrees. Gonna try to post some more details this time of just my personal observations up to this point, so bear with me as I try to chop things up appropriately.

K2:

Structure wise this one remains my favorite so far. She’s got a very sturdy main beach, as well as sturdy looking side beaches which is unique to this particular pheno. Her leaves seem to have gotten thinner as she’s gone deeper into flower. All through veg this was the broad leaf pheno, but now that we’re into the main event things seem to be thinning out. Stem rub on this one is this kind of astringent cleaner smell, which x is actually the stem rub that all of them are giving off: just a vague floor cleaner/ammonia type of thing. I did however pluck a lower leaf this morning though and got a distinct grape smell when I gave it a sniff, so there might be something more to develop there.

K3:

Still kind of the wild one of the bunch, she’s got a very bushy structure to her, and much thinner branches than her sisters. Same generic astringent stem rub, no other smells to note even after plucking fans. I don’t really know what to make of this one honestly, she’s a little crowded out by her sister in the same EB, and just generally doesn’t seem to have anything spectacularly special about her as of this writing. She seems to be sporting more bud sites than the K2, but beyond that there’s not much about her that really catches my eye. Reserving judgement until the smoke comes down of course, but between her two sisters she seems to be the one that’s easily overlooked.

K4:

This gal is interesting to say the least. She’s sporting a very thick, sturdy looking main stem but very noodly looking side branches, which I’m not as big a fan of. The stretch on this one is what grabs your attention. Her main stem stretched double the height of her lowers and the overall height of her two sisters, and that main stem has really nicely tigh spaced nodes all the way up. If it all fills in it’d be an impressive cola, but I have the sense that these are going to be more dense popcorn nug structures overall as opposed to bread loaves. Same astringent stem rub as her sisters, this one grabs your eye just cause she’s a fucking monolith in the tent, slightly worried about bleaching out that too bud, but whatever.

The pollinated branches on all 3 girls seem to be developing nicely, and as I pointed out there are a few spots of random seeds popping up outside of the targeted branches, but that’s no big deal to me, should still have plenty of unseeded buds on each to judge quality and keeper-isms of any one pheno. Right now I’m debating with myself as to whether or not to top dress these boxes another time or not. I have myself convinced that the leaf weirdness I was seeing was a combination of PH issues and going really hard on the top dressing early on in flower, so part of me is tempted to see how these things do just riding out what’s in there, if anything I might just water in some blue gold, but we’ll see, my opinions and thoughts on approach change with the winds. That’s kinda it for now though, just trucking along, I’m trying not to rush things along here and enjoy the grow bu I have so much stuff backed up in the veg tent to get in here and flower that I’m kinda wringing my hands about it. I’m thinking that I might drop in a cut of the MOB in like a 3 gal pot over top of the space that the K1 used to occupy just to get a sense of what that flower is like, but we’ll see how the timing works out for that. Hope everyone has a good week. Love. :heart::v:t2::heart:

19 Likes

Great word!:sweat_smile: I’m gonna steal that one!
Your plants look like they’re lovin the EBs Legs!
I love the simplicity of them and I’m considering building a few for the big “Sativa to the World” hunt I have planned for later this year.
:grin::v:

7 Likes

How many more weeks do you have left in this run approximately? They are looking healthy so far.

4 Likes

i honestly have no idea, haha. im assuming itll at least take 8-9 weeks, but i wasnt able to find any info on finishing times so im just kinda playign it by ear. forgot to mention that today marks day 40 in flower, so so i would assume we’ve got at least another 23 dyas or so, possibly more.

ha! go right ahead my friend, open source terminology. i would highly recommend these earthboxes, or SIPs in general, it makes it real easy to have a life and still grow. what i will say is that i don’t think they’re as well suited to pheno hunting, being that you’re limited as to how mobile the plants can be, and how many you can fit in a box. im already thinking that for the little hunt through whats waiting in veg ill probably throw everything in like 3 gals and flower them small/early, but for growing some head stash from known clones these earthboxes are gonna be the way forward for sure.

10 Likes

I’m thinking at least 28 days. I can’t think of any Snow Lotus cross I’ve grown that didn’t take around 70 days and that Chem D is supposed to take around 10-11 weeks, as well. The fact that the leaves have gotten thinner as they’ve stretched and stuff leads me to believe that they’re probably 10/11 weekers.

But you never know haha.

They look awesome, anyway. I love those frosty fans.

8 Likes

Great update @LegsMahoney ! Happy to hear your liking the EBs! There are a ton of diy tutorials in the Link Farm on the sip thread to various size sips, everything from micros to 30+gals. Here is a diy tutorial for a micro sip you could use or adapt for pheno hunting Albo-stein: Self-watering, Sub-Irrigated Planter from recycled / reused Clorox Wipes & Dannon Yogurt containers. -AlboPepper.com The concept is the same, it’s the size of the container that changes.

Joins us @Budderton over on the SIP thread. Would love to see your design and hear about what you got going on. Aloha

7 Likes

Thanks crunch! I’m a convert for sure, love these things. I had the thought of building smaller ones to do pheno hunts, but I figure that the goal there is really just to look through things quickly and then reserve the EBs for more substantial runs of 4 plants (max) at a time. The smaller pots just seem to make sense for those purposes right now, mostly cause they’re so cheap and I have so many, but who knows what the future might hold and how far down this SIP rabbit hole goes…

8 Likes

very interesting development i thought i’d share. went in this morning to do a light top dress of some fish bone meal, just to satiate my need to do something for these gals. as i was pulling back the mulch covers i invariably buried my face in the K3 and got blasted with these insane lemon candy terps. i was totally taken aback given how generic the smells have been up to this point, but very pleasantly surprised! not what i’d expect out of a Chem D cross, but really really nice smell. its basically all over my face and hands now and im quite enjoying it sitting here at the desk working.

15 Likes

:drooling_face: Mmmm, lemon candy. This one wins :sweat_smile::metal:

3 Likes

Love some lemon terps up there with some of my favorites in cannabis forgot to set this thread to watching so for some catching up to do :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Morning fam, just some bud shots to share this morning. My wife took our daughter down to her parents house for a little overnight hang with her sister and cousin, so I had some time to myself here. Started the day off this morning getting my greens with my coffee

Now onto the real stuff. Smells outside of the tent and when you crack it are a kind of faint dank earthy funk, but as soon as you brush up against one of the plants you get hit with the gnarly lemon candy smell, which is real nice. Today is day 51 of flower and judging by the trichs and the seed development I think these are going to go at least 9-10 weeks. These things aren’t really bulking the way I would have expected so far, I guess there’s still time. But all the main cola sites had resonantly close node spacing, so I would have expected them to fill in and connect, and as of this writing they don’t seem to be headed that direction. Not a bad thing, just not what I expected given the genetics. Everything seems to want to stay as smaller like popcorn sized nugs, but they and all of the fan leaves around them are CAKED in trichomes, more so than I’ve seen in recent memory, so I’m real interested to see how they finish. Color wise the K4 has got some purpling going on, which I’m always a fan of. Here’s what we got for nug shots, in no particular order, cause I’m a little toasted:

26 Likes

Nice! Hippy Speedball working its magic! I’m a French press guy as well. I like to chew my coffee!! Did some bartering with a coffee roaster friend recently . Stoked!

18 Likes

Frosssssty! :snowflake: Looks delish homie :yum:
Enjoy your alone time buddy!!

7 Likes

Indeed! The clock is ticking! Ha!

7 Likes

Things are looking great in there, definitely frosty AF! Time alone is always great, I am always really excited to have the house to myself for a few days but anything longer than that starts to lose its luster for me :rofl:

Your pollinated branches likely won’t bulk up as much as you are used to as it focused on seed development over flower development but I am sure your flowers will still fatten up with time. Definitely different flower structure compared to other Snow Lotus crosses I have grown.

Got some nice selections to go through Crunch! Ethiopian coffee is my favorite, give me that floral and citrus all day! I branch out on occasion to Peru, Columbia, Brazil and Mexico but always go back to the Ethiopian.

12 Likes

Yea dude I much prefer it, unfortunately most of the time during the week we go with the coffee robot for the convenience but when I have the time I prefer a nice cup from the French press, you really can practically chew it, haha, been adding shots of our homemade maple syrup to my coffee in the morning lately, it’s a nice change of pace

Thanks dude, crunch is right, pretty much as soon as they split I can feel the timer running. Enjoyed my day though, ran into town to get some supplies for a bike restoration/rebuild I’m doing on an old 90s hardtail, swung by to see my homie who runs the glass shop/dispo and impulse purchased some infused seltzers and a new hammer from Papa Smurf, then I got rip roaring stoned and went and shot some pool at the local bar, pretty good fucking day!

Absolutely! Keeping my eye on those mostly for ripeness of the seeds, but still watching the main colas to see what they end up doing, this is the first SL cross I’ve grown so I’m not sure what to expect in terms of flower structure but I’m very much enjoying the process of finding out!

11 Likes

I’m also a yirgacheffe drinker. We buy 3-4 pounds at a time from Rostovs to make cold brew. I can drink that shit alllll day. I don’t need sleep!

5 Likes

I switched from French Press to a Chemex as my daily driver. I loved that Chemex dearly, esp. for the ease of cleanup over the press. I always used light roast, single origin Ethiopian beans in both devices.

About 18 months ago we invested in a high end espresso machine (Lelit Bianca) and I haven’t used my other coffee devices since. I pull a double shot for myself every morning. My gf loves mochas, so when she’s around (she stays in another city 3-5 days per week for work) I’ll steam up some oat milk and a couple pumps of chocolate syrup for her mug. I usually do straight shots but every now and then I’ll indulge. Unfortunately even the sugar free chocolate syrup has lots of carbs…

We are using dark roast blends of espresso beans from a co-op that my gf found. I haven’t yet tried pulling shots with a light roast.

8 Likes

V60 here with a baratza encore grinder but an espresso machine sounds awesome… What type of grinder are you using for it?

5 Likes

Eureka Mignon Specialita. It has worked fine since I figured out how to dial it in.

4 Likes