Kashmir Crowdsource Testing

I think it is unfortunate that the single best strain that has ever been released on overgrow would be filled with such drama…maybe it’s no coincidence…these beans are literally worth THOUSANDS; of all strains released in the 20 and 21st centuries these are hands down the ones to get…

Diggy is doing a huge service releasing these…these could make him a billionaire and he is giving them away…I know what kinda Thanksgiving I’m having next year…

Please you all…a little courtesy…if you haven’t grown these and have some you are truly missing out…

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

Yes, I’ll close this shortly.

A couple of last words, WF was banned for persistent deceitful activity and taking liberties he did not have. I’d recommend not tying your hitch to what is now considered in the past.

There is little interest here. You can certainly personally give them away on your dime but this site will have nothing further to do with promoting any WF related efforts.

7 Likes

@Northern_Loki understandable
(plus 20 characters)
Cheers

Thanks for the understanding.

5 Likes

FWIW- I have some seeds from the crowdsource testing done with an old member (Worcestershire_Farms). I’d be happy to send them to you. Let me know. :green_heart:

9 Likes

I was unable to get them to thrive. At the time, I thought it was my inexperience and never tried to regrow them. Then I moved on to other seeds and strains… and so the story goes. I wasn’t aware of an issue with the seeds until you mentioned it here. What’s the deal with them? Are they fine to grow for bud, but not good for genetics? Inquiring mind(s) want to know. :grin: :green_heart:

6 Likes

Reading the end of that thread it seems those seeds have a viroid of some sort and growing them is risking some unknown possible contam…?

6 Likes

Interesting info. I’ll toss the seeds, without hesitation.

6 Likes

Ok, so I’m super glad you are doing another increase of these, and I’m not going to push to point on all of this, but we have to be accurate.

There was no HPLV found in Diggy’s work. It is a variegated leaf patterning (in my opinion a genetic expression, not viral) but that is not dudding or any indication of Hops Latent.

In any event, it’s a great line and it will be good to see some around again.

10 Likes

Your’re right. The rumors of infection have not been confirmed. And I don’t want to spread hearsay or any false info. So I’ve deleted any misleading posts. And we can just move forward with the mission statement “in early 2024, we will have another distro of some very unique genetics”
:+1::peace_symbol::green_heart:

13 Likes

All I was saying is that it was never about Hops Latent Viroid. There are plenty of viroids out there, some have effects, some don’t really, but HLV is a huge issue for real and should have everyone’s attention. I was just noting is that HLV was never on the table as an option simply because it doesn’t present the symptoms. It would have to be something else.

All good!

11 Likes

Sorry bud you don’t want to grow those, they’re viroid infected:

@Vesti you’re right it was hemp mosaic

5 Likes

@firehead my apologies for directing your thread in a viroids direction, and maybe some of these notes could be moved to another place for further discussion.

Exactly my point, there was also as you intimate some character assassination at play in the end, and there is more to say on that but i don’t want to further populate this thread with the theme.

Like I said, maybe this part of the convos could be moved off Fire’s thread?

3 Likes

not to put too fine a point on it, but there is good reason to be cautious with the worcestire kashmir seeds, and that former member.

worcestire was banned for scamming users for cash and running multiple sock puppet accounts to support his scam. this is a fact.

this is something that worcestire proved to us all despite a lot of good will from the mods and the community.

in worcestires grow the variegation did spread from plant to plant- it spread from an unhealthy stardawg clone that was showing slight variegation and an extreme pythiosis infection causing stem rot, necrosis, stem girdling, and possible root rot.

the extreme pythiosis infections was confirmed by worcestire and could be confirmed visually. if that variegated stardawg clone came from a poorly managed grow with such an obvious pythiosis infection, it may have been carying more than just pythiosis.

There is no observable variegation in the kashmir stock from bodhi, barefrog, or in stock made by others who worked with those seeds like kind024’s generic seeds.

as far as I have seen the variegation is only present in worcestires stock, and it showed up after it had been in contact with this infected stardawg cutting. I think there is reason to be cautious, but the main concern is the confirmed pythiosis rot.

as for the possibility of hlvd, I would be interested to see those seeds tested for hlvd (dudding virus). I’m glad to see grow reports with good results but keep in mind it is called “latent” viroid for a reason- infected plants do not always present symptoms. there are a number of other pathogens which can spread variegation in cannabis/hemp, and spread by contact and seed. like the possibility of hemp mosaic virus, sunn hemp mosaic virus, and other agricultural mosaic, spotting, and streaking viruses which can spread into hemp. as far as I know, none of these have consumer available testing and the primary symptom is retarded photosynthesis which is less obvious than flower dudding.

the confirmed pythiosis infection in the grow during the kashmir breeding can transmit through seeds, spreading the damping off pathogen to other gardens.

We know he was scamming people here, we know there was pythiosis infected stardawg clones in the grow. He had an ulterior motive to profit off of these seeds regardless of how they turned out. I wouldn’t put my trust in that work or risk my garden over it.

I feel personally obligated to warn others after blindly sharing these seeds with a local grower and spreading pythiosis rot into his med garden.

I’m glad that people have had good results with that stock, but there is risk with these seeds and it is an unnecessary risk given the availability of the kashmir strain from known clean (and honest) sources.

7 Likes

I think it’s more of a concern to see variegation suddenly present in an heirloom seed line with a long history of cultivation, as opposed to a clone only pheno with known variegation.

Personally I test all live plants that enter my garden for hlvd with tumi or farmer freeman tests. I only grow seeds from trusted sources, and I wouldn’t take any chances with a variegated chem D clone.

There is a tissue cultured chem d cut by phinest which shows no variegation.
While tissue culture can alter phenotypical expression (through the mechanism of acclimatization environmental conditions influence the expression of genetic traits), to me this calls into question whether or not the chem variegation is a genetic trait after all. We know it’s not hlvd, but I still don’t want that in my garden.

Of course I am a perpetual med grower for a chronic condition, so I am very risk averse and do not take any risks that could possibly interrupt or negatively impact my medical grow.

The calculations will be different for every grower depending on their needs and their garden setup. for other people these things may not be as much of a concern.

5 Likes

As I’ve suggested, let’s carry this part of the conversation elsewhere so as not to dominate OP’s thread with whatever miasma WC left in his wake.

I’m all phumbs on my thone, so will get back when in front of my computer.

…but yes, suffice to say that among other things Diggy could be a complete ass.

4 Likes

Thank you for making that easy to understand. I’m still such a newbie and appreciate all the shared knowlede.

3 Likes

Ok so kinda weird to be going to bat for Diggy and all, but he himself said the words “mosaic virus” so you don’t get to dismiss it as “hate” though I think a better word for most of us might be “disgust”

Also the dude is persona non grata here as per the mods themselves, who I think he honestly made a lot of grief and work for, so I’m confused as to who you think is conspiring against the guy? The site moderators for maintaining standards that don’t allow cheating other members? Or Zephyr for being a highly knowledgeable and observant grower who didn’t just stay silent about what he saw?

4 Likes

The evidence of scamming users for cash and running sock puppets is the reason the mods banned worcestire. The scam involved selling seeds, but aside from that the matters are unrelated-- he wasn’t banned for distributing a virus or because people didn’t like him, he was banned for clear rules violations.

I thought the mods handled the matter with objectivity, and even gave him the opportunity to avoid this outcome.

If anyone had personal beef with this user, that didn’t factor into the mods decision to ban, and it didn’t influence my decision to tell people about the pathogens.

worcestire provided his own evidence of the pathogens.
he confirmed the pythiosis infection and posted photos of the plants with stem rot, girdling, and necrosis.

worcestire confirmed the variegation was introduced into the kashmir line in his breeding project. he confirmed that he has seen it jump from one live plant to another in his grow. He said it is a virus. He believes variegated cannabis is caused by pathogens, and that his seed stock carries a virus.

https://overgrow.com/t/kashmir-crowdsource-testing/46778/414

he says that it’s definitely infected with a virus, and that the virus is spreading through his grow. but he tries to put a positive spin on it by saying that makes it more rare and desirable. Whether or not the virus causes other maladies is irrelevant-- the presence of the virus and its spread are confirmed.

worcestire’s not denying that it’s infected with a pathogen. He has documented the evidence of pathogens and confirmed it repeatedly. No one has to make any assumptions.

worcestire said the variegation is caused by a virus of some kind, and the variegation is clearly visible in most of the grows on the crowdsource thread.

When this happened a few years ago,
I was extremely reluctant to publicly bring this up in the first place and it’s not a matter that I take lightly.

I hoped that people would draw their own conclusion when they saw worcestires posts and the evidence of variegation spreading between live plants and through seed. But after the crowdsource testing was complete, no one had mentioned it. The posts were scattered across multiple topics and burried in the middle of long threads, making it difficult to see the big picture.

I had enjoyed talking with worcestire for several years, and I only posted about this because of the obvious risk to people’s gardens and to the kashmir line. It’s not a matter of an accusation or a disagreement. I was on good terms with worcestire until I took it upon myself to point out the evidence he had shared and the impact it had on people’s gardens who participated in the crowdsource testing. including my friend who I’m responsible for giving these seeds to.

Please understand this is not something I want to revisit, but having already stuck my neck out like this and with clear evidence from worcestire himself, I don’t see any reason not to air this now that the matter is being brought up again.

@LonelyOC we’ve talked a fair amount and I enjoy your posts. I don’t agree with your take on this one. The evidence is all there. I don’t think that I or the others concerned about worcestire’s kashmir seed stock are personally biased.

Worcestire was irresponsible and reckless to knowingly distribute seeds that he knew were infected with something. The seeds came from plants infected with pythiosis and an unknown virus causing variegation leaf mottling, and many of the plants grown from these seeds display that symptom clearly.

I think it’s important for people to know these facts and proceed accordingly.

8 Likes