Lactic acid bacteria serum! Aka LABS

Thanks @George. My first batch looked like that photo – with the fluffy white curds on top. …But with less of them, since my ratio of rice wash (or, in my case, bean wash) was more like 1:1. I poured as much milk into the wash as I could fit in the container, allowing some room on top to keep it from overflowing when the curds formed.

That’s what I did. So now I’ve got two bottles filled: The first batch, which uses whey extracted from beneath the curds; and a second batch which uses whey extracted from above the curds. I added molasses to the first batch, but not the second. …Experimentation going on all around this joint. :wink:

3 Likes

I read if you mix it 1:1 with molasses it is not shelf stable and does not need to be refrigerated.

I keep mine in the fridge so i can save funds by not buying molasses.

1 Like

My gpop just made it into cheese, he strained it and then cooked it or something along those lines and then added salt pepper and garlic. The whole house smell like a foot and i prefer not to eat stinky feet so i opted out of trying the cheese.

1 Like

Public service announcement… Molasses will not supersaturate anything as it is a liquid and has a water content. To supersaturate you need to use brown sugar.

Yes! you can certainly use LAB to inoculate a new batch of LAB

7 Likes

Thanks for the correction man! Now that i think of it i bet it was brown sugar that i read goes in there at 1:1.

This is great to know and will save me plenty of time! Will the curd form like it did for @MrGreenJeans or will it form as it would when using rice wash?

3 Likes

I do it and it’s just the same

I add the milk too the serum , not serum to the milk tho , idk if that’s what makes the difference ?

4 Likes

It could go either way, Depends on how sterile the jar is , how “clean” the milk is etc.
so yeah, the same, maybe :rofl:

3 Likes

Lmao but either way it will create more serum that can be siphoned out?

2 Likes

This is really good info. Now i can save myself 2 days of waiting for rice wash by using my labs serum as the inoculate. (I hope i used inoculate correctly lol)

4 Likes

Just ate some curd , tiny bit
Man that taste is powerful haha
Tastes stronger than it smells , and that’s saying something
Wow

5 Likes

I have bought cheese cloth and going to do some with this next batch … ejem|nullxnull

4 Likes

Son dared me and I couldn’t let that slide : )

Never again lol
@George

3 Likes

Lmao did it taste like a foot

1 Like

I made mine with Jasmin rice (sweetest), maybe that helps, cheese was like eating Quark … :yum:

2 Likes

@seeds2weeds it tastes exactly as it smells but multiply by 100

1 Like

I offered some of the cheese to our cat. She wasn’t interested.

:pouting_cat: “Send it back, and bring me some fresh roasted CHICKEN!!!”

2 Likes