Lactic acid bacteria serum! Aka LABS

Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB) refers to a large group of bacteria, rather then a single strain, that produce lactic acid as a by-product of digesting their food source. LAB are ubiquitous microorganisms (MO) that are beneficial to you, your animals, and your soil. LAB are widespread in nature and are beneficial probiotics in our digestive systems. They are in the air all around us. They are also among the most important groups of MO used in food fermentation. People make yogurt, cheese, sour cream, olives, and sauerkraut with these bacteria.

Wanna make some? (skip to the end for quick recipe)

First we will take 450 ml of water and warm it just slightly above room temp.
While that is warming measure out a cup or two of organic rice, quinoa, barley, rye, any complex source of carbohydrates and place it in a jar with a lid so you can shake it.
Pour the warm water in with the rice and shake it for about 5 minutes. This is how we will collect food for the bacteria.
Strain this and put it into a clean jar with a coffee filter or something breathable strapped over the top so it can breathe and attract our bacteria.
Leave this jar somewhere about room temp and out of direct sunlight (in the shade of your garden, on your counter top) for 2-5 days.
After a few days you will see a separation
The top layer is floating carbs and possibly some molds left over from fermenting.
The middle layer is the Lactic Acid and other Bacteria.
The bottom layer is starch, a leftover by-product.
Extract the middle layer with a syringe, siphon, or turkey baster, whatever works as long as you dont get the top or bottom layer. i used 450ml so i can leave the extra 50ml so i dont get anything in my LAB but it doesn’t matter much as you will be straining it in a few days.
Now with the 400ml of LAB.
Take this and pour 4000ml/1gal of organic whole milk (3%) in with it. you can use goat milk, cows milk, or breast milk. Make sure its organic and as fresh as you can find.
The milk is used for the high lactose content to dissuade other microbes and leaving the LAB to dominate.
Leave about a quarter of whatever jar you are using full of air to make sure it doesn’t spill then sprinkle wheat bran on it to keep it anaerobic then cover it loosely and put it in the shade or on the counter again for 2-5 days.
When this separates you will notice a big curd on top of the LAB. This is Carbohydrates, protein, fat, and some beneficial bacteria. Below is the whey and lacto that we are after.
Extract the middle layer with a siphon, syringe or whatever. I usually just strain it all in a mesh strainer then strain it once more with coffee filters or something to get the small stuff out.
The leftover curd is super beneficial to everyone. mix some with garlic and curry powder for a nice Indian snack or feed it to your animals, worms, and soil. No wasting here!
Now you want to mix the LAB with a food source 1:1. I like to use organic black strap molasses, but organic brown sugar will do also. ( ex. 1 Liter LAB : 1 Kilo Molasses)
Store this LABS (Lactic Acid Bacteria Serum) in preferably glass jars filled to the top with little to no air (plastic works but i use old kombucha bottles… and the woman told me i shouldn’t keep then XD) in the fridge (she doesn’t like that either)
This stuff will keep for about a year in the fridge with food and about 6 months without food.

How to use LABS
Mix this at a ratio of 1:20 LABS:water
you can also use compost tea, fermented pant juice, or and organic tea type nutrient for an extra boost.

mix LABS with wheat bran and dry it for homemade bokashi that works better and saves you a bunch of cash.

Also you can mix it with water and use it as a deodorant for those sweaty balls after working in the garden all day (cant say she likes that either).
Or put some in your animals water to get rid of that stinky, been in the garbage all night dog breath.
Use it to clear clogged drains from your woman shaving herself in the shower all the time.
Spray it on animal bedding to keep your farm and/or home smelling clean

Here is an example recipe!
100ml rice wash fermented then siphoned.
mix with 1000ml whole organic milk.
ferment.
Siphon middle layer and feed top curd to animals, plants and worms.
Mix middle layer 1:1 with organic molasses.
Store in fridge for up to a year in full glass jars

I hope you enjoy my write up on Lactic acid bacteria.
Ill do more write ups on Korean natural farming for you guys for sure:)
I learned lot of this from the university of hawaii and the unconventional farmer!

Much love
Lotus

62 Likes

Thanks so much. I will be starting some tonight!

3 Likes

@lotus710 or anyone know if this could be done with soy milk or coconut milk (or coconut water) or even yeast and if so which might work the best as an alternative?

I might like to enjoy some of it myself besides giving it to the plants and as I’m vegan, I choose not to consume cow’s milk so it would be nice to create an alternative.

3 Likes

Lactic acid (and bacteria) is also produced when fermenting vegetables like sauerkraut. The cows milk is mainly used because it contains lactose which helps a lot when you want to create lots of LAB.
On the other hand, fermenting vegetables should work too but I’ve never tried it to create a serum.

4 Likes

Try looking at IMO (Indigenous Microorganisms) instead. Its not exactly the same, but a great source of microbes and carbohydrates for your soil.

The whole point of using the milk is to create conditions where the LAB can out compete the other microorganisms. It has to be milk, goat, cow, human, so long as it is milk.

11 Likes

I too don’t consume milk but I do use it for my LAB’s, my friend makes it with coconut milk and she swears by it but I like to stick to the original recipe.

Technically the rice wash on it’s own will attract lactobacillus but not in the same numbers when adding milk.

Fun fact: apart from obvious genetics one of the other reasons most Asian ladies have such healthy hair is because a lot of them wash it using rice wash water. :v:t4:

8 Likes

Google “Korean Natural Farming” (KNF). It provides valuable info on LAB. Milk is ESSENTIAL as Sage @ReikoX explained. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Yeah for sure, I have watched some of Chris’s videos on making IMO… so you make it or just buy it from somewhere?
Not sure if I could find the white mycelium anywhere near me or not…

Maybe I’ll just do the milk then and not eat any of it… I started two batches of LABs actually, one traditional-ish using sprouted brown rice (didn’t have have white rice) and another batch using this powder from an energy drink which is basically pure glucose… I’ll go with the milk for the brown rice one and coconut milk for the experimental one.

I don’t have a microscope or know much about sending it in to a lab, but if it at least separates and smells sour, I imagine it’s not too far off from what it’s superior be lol

4 Likes

I have heard as long as it’s Lactose in the milk you are using you should be good to go

2 Likes

Milk, none of the 1, 2%, or Specialty Milk, PURE MILK!!! SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Another thing I’m curious about trying is making some sort of serum using water kefir… haven’t really seen any mention of it here tho.

2 Likes

Anyone know if LABS smells a bit like cheese or did I mess it up? lol

4 Likes

Yep like cheese or yogurt.

6 Likes

If you did it right, the top layer is, indeed, referred to as “cheese”. Appears as a thick, hardened curd. You want the liquid in the middle. Siphon and combine 1:1 with Unsulfured Molasses (that’s what I use), stirring with a wooden spoon. Your result will be “LAB”, 1 Tsp per gallon of water, wa-la, in business. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes: NOTE: DON’T throw away the “Curd”. You can crumple it up and put it down the drains to sanitize them, sprinkle it in Flower Beds, feed it to pets/livestock, multiple of beneficial uses. SS/BW…mister

7 Likes

Yeah I got that curd, so does the liquid smell like cheese as well before the added sugar?

I also saw that you can opt not to do the sugar and just keep it in the fridge, someone said it might not attract pests as much without the sugar?

2 Likes

Sure did!!! I use “rinse water” from rice, Macaroni/Pasta. When you let it sit, covered with napkin or cheesecloth, all the microbes get to it, sometimes stinks to high heavens!!! That’s when I know it’s ALMOST ready. From my understanding, you need the sugar to get the needed reaction. I keep some in the Fridge (2 -3 months). It stores for several YEARS in a Closet, out of direct sunlight. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes: NOTE: Check out Lactobacillus on Youtube.

6 Likes

Interesting, I thought the sugar was *food for them and/or sort of a preservative… I thought maybe they kind of sleep in the fridge so that may be why you can get away without the sugar if kept in the fridge…
They prob would last longer in the soil with the sugar though maybe depending on what’s already in your soil I would assume.

2 Likes

IMO, cow milk is just a good source of lipids, sugars (lactose (glucose + galactose)) and protein (80% casein + 20% “whey protein”), and when you have the cow in your farm, the LABS technique becomes even more natural and accessible. I think vegans could use another source, like the vegans options milks etc. Because like @FattyRoots pointed, the rice wash is the “base” to microrganisms growth. The milk is just the food and local to LAB multiplcates. We can think “so why we can affirm that my LAB recipe is just LAB and no other group of bacterias?” IMO (again :rofl:), it’s because LABs are aggressive bacterias. They break the lactose fast and like we all know, they produce the lactic acid, with this, they acidify the sorum and avoid another bacterias to grow. Just out of curiosity, the LAB group includes not only Lactobaccilus but another genus of bacterias, most of us think LAB means Lactobaccilus but not, the group is so much bigger than one genus. Another point, the break of lactose is not a bacteria “thing” but some fungis and even yeasts have the enzymes too.

For deeper readings: (sorry for no links, but they are too long to post :rofl:)

“Genetics of lactose utilization in lactic acid bacteria”
“The lac operon”
“Health Benefits of Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB) Fermentates”
“Biopreservation by lactic acid bacteria”
“The Lactic Acid Bacteria: A Literature Survey”
“Lactic acid bacteria of foods and their current taxonomy”
“Strains and species of lactic acid bacteria in fermented milks (yogurts): effect on in vivo lactose digestion”
“Health and nutritional benefits from lactic acid bacteria”

Books: (can find in libgen)
“Lactic Acid Bacteria: Microbiological and Functional Aspects, Fourth Edition”
“Genera of lactic acid bacteria”
“Lactic acid bacteria : biodiversity and taxonomy”

Blessed saturday :boom:

7 Likes

Has anyone used labs to fight fungus gnats?

I had a few flying around and put some LAB in my water to feed. I’ve noticed I’m not seeing as many if any. I had ordered microbe lift to combat them but mail is slow.

2 Likes

@MidwestMover , if you block all holes of pot with weed control fabric and bottom feed you will never have gnats again plus the plant loves it as that’s where roots tips are , also a lot less chance of over watering once you get the hang of it : )

4 Likes