Landrace Expansion & Trade

I received an old film canister of beans. I know it didn’t mean they are viable but there’s probably 400 seeds. They’re from a non dirt smoker in the VA mountain region.

Best way to try to pop possibly 30yr old cannabis seeds? I’m just trying to ascertain one female to see if there’s gold in them thar hills. Any help is much appreciated. I’ve been looking for a true potent indica and a true sativa.

I’ll trade donate whatever. I’m really just a cannabis lover who tries growing what most people wouldn’t give a second thought. Thanks yall.:blush::v:

8 Likes

Good luck with those old seeds! There may be some important genetics in those. Sometimes those old seeds can be stubborn, so to improve your chances for germination pre-soak the seeds using carbonated water and add a bit of fulvic acid and food grade hydrogen peroxide. Scuffing the shell can also help water pass through an older seed’s tough outer shell. Line a matchbox (or other small container) with some sandpaper and put the seeds inside and shake vigorously for 30 to 60 seconds, then remove the seeds and germinate. The small micro-abrasions may not seem like much, but they are sometimes enough to let water breach the shell and trigger germination. If that doesn’t help then there are other more drastic measures you can take, such as slicing the seeds, or removing the ridge. Have fun!

5 Likes

A good time honoured question, one many threads have wrestled with… :laughing: :rofl: :star_struck:

https://overgrow.com/search?q=germinating%20seeds

One of those ‘ask 10 people and get 10 answers’ questions…

Cheers
G

7 Likes

I’ll run some through the plant mill and give you some seeds of a cross I’m working on if you’ll grow them, no garbage, Black Pearl mother x’d to Afghani kush (purple pheno) .

6 Likes

PS: I am running 35 year old seeds from a commercial farm with 90% germ rate first two females shooting hairs now…a nice RKS would be a good find.

8 Likes

Check your messages!!!

1 Like

Original Haze TM

There was a big male that matched the big female… hmm feel like I’ve typed this before… anyway, smallest female (25cm) is the slowest to flower, and the most nutrient sensitive. Biggest female (29cm) is going to be beautiful.

13 Likes

Too all the guys that got the Pineapple Thai pollen I sent in place of the Beldia. Had enough left thanks to the generous donation by @Trowertripper to hit all the lowers of plants I have that are fresh hairs and it looks like it took, painted them once more today and still have a dab for one of the Monkey Paw plants.
That will give me Purple Pineapple Thai
PAT x SK1 x BP, PAT x AK x BP, PAT x BP and Panama x Pineapple Thai. Pineapple Monkey Paw to come.

Right now in the men’s room I’m holding 2- MTF
1 - Bangi Haze
1 - Triple Durban (Lefthand)
At least a few weeks out. I’ll be ready for these pollen drops and spread the love.

13 Likes

wowsers, that looks like a great cross

1 Like

I have traded out a bunch of the AK x BP seeds to test, beautiful dark plant with, short and compact with good branching and structure. Chunky buds compared to moms almost full Sativa spears. First two are Momma BP about 2 weeks out, others are the AK x BP I have some for trade still. Also I’ll be trading out new seeds for testing. Going too start working the two lines (MP and BP) against the myriad of strains going through the jungle.

11 Likes

good thing you have that extinguisher handy because that is some FIRE :slight_smile: (or is that C02 or nitrous? lol)

7 Likes

CO2 but don’t use it anymore. The crosses all have the long shredded cheddar cheese Pistils like Mom. AK x BP is about 6 weeks out, gonna be one big bud as it’s stopped stretching and is stacking hard already.

7 Likes

Hey guys, I read that they used to strip a piece of bark all the way down the main stalk to make Acapulco Gold (and other plants) express their fall colors before chop, I already turn my light out temp down to 65 and feed only water P&K the final week when they tend to slow on feeding. An
Anyone ever heard of this?

6 Likes

That is a new one for me!
From my limited experience, colors seemed for the most part to be temperature dependent but I’ve seen some change that I was sure was more the genetics.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Never heard of that, putting ice in the pot will work also (last few days) I haven’t done it, but have seen it done with good results, of course strain dependent

6 Likes

I’ve heard this but the gold strains I’ve grown have taken on those traits with out being provoked in such a way. There could be some benefit to stressing the plant like that if done at the correct time. Rats tend to do that to the bottom of plant stalks I wouldn’t doubt at some point somebody realized those plants reacted in a positive way and started to do that intentionally, just a guess. Different growing methods definitely have a noticeable effect on the finished product. Panama reds distinct look and taste is attributed to the drying and curing methods used in the area during that time.

10 Likes

I agree, I’ve smoked a lot of red and gold in the 70’s :wink:

3 Likes

Speaking of these old school experiences…Anyone ever cure their cannabis using “The Cob method”?

Essentially wrapping it in corn husk for the cannabinoids to develop…apparently the terps get trashed in the process…BUT the process is suppose to enhance the intensity of the weed noticeably.

3 Likes

We had a long discussion and even longer cure when I was and still am testing my Purple Thai. Again I read that they buried and cured for no no less than 2 months, I’d imagine they used banana leaf maybe. The Thai was so oily it took a month before the green banana, mango taste started to sweeten and smooth out. 3 months later and I just burned one just about perfect, floral with a little sweetness and smoke lingering like incense. A lot like I remember the “stick” so that would be my educated guess. Just crossed my Purple with a pineapple Thai more landrace. When the beans dry I’m gonna cob cure half the plant. Ohhh and the Rosin press is royal purple and smells like opium, two hit and quit.

Here’s a few Reds and a Black Pearl coming down next weekend, have nighttime down too 67 degrees and I stripped one stalk today for kicks.

19 Likes

Hey Buddy
Yeah, I’ve heard those Cannabinoids keep bubbling away…but a 2 month wet cure (essentially)?..wow!

Nice plants!
How many zips are you getting off those ladies…? :slight_smile:

4 Likes