Landrace Expansion & Trade

I’ve never heard of those techniques to induce colors but I could see the ice method more than the bark strip, but a lot of growing has gone on before I got back into it for real.

I’m pretty sure I read that the Colombian Gold was sun dried and maybe on the stalk, too. I’ve dried some in the sun and it gave a cross that I made an almost red color, like old Colombian Red. I also had one that turned very yellow/gold.

I think colors are genetic since some strains will go all green, even with sisters throwing colors. And some strains won’t turn any color no matter how much cold you give them.

Afghans… = color, heh… in my limited experience.

7 Likes

I normally cure slow down to 60-65RU locked in jars and it takes 2 weeks. Thai took twice that. Don’t weigh, but here’s last two 5 footers of GG4 . Last two buds are the Thai , that’s after 2 weeks with sugar leaf on and you can still see the oils on it.

17 Likes

I’ve read that sativas can take up to 6 months curing. The Afghan should mix that up though. Probably 30 days like most hybrids. It looks nice!

4 Likes

Howdy, I carry a wild structured Durban line collected from bagseed in the early 80’s. Been open pollinated a few times. Definitely a commitment of time putting one of them out haha.
And also un-hybridised ABC mutant Sativa (not really a landrace but worthy of preservation)
I’m looking for an old-timers haze and a original Thai from way back if anyone can point me in the right direction :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Colombian Red, been a good 30 years since I smoked that stuff, hard to find in these parts, used to be plentiful.

2 Likes

Have the Panama finishing now, of the three reds they used one or more were Dutched at some point., although not a Landrace the testers have been a little creeper bud like the old days. Will be chopping this weekend.

8 Likes

gotta love a full moon harvest

3 Likes

Full moon with big blooms

11 Likes

I believe the girdling technique involves a ring around the stalk rather than a vertical strip. Have not personally tried it yet. Considering Darién Gap as candidate but I must take clones before flowering.

From Marijuana Botany by Clarke

The production of “la mona amarilla” or gold
buds is achieved by girdling or removing a strip of bark from the main stem of a nearly mature plant, thereby restricting the flow of water, nutrients, and plant products. Over several days the leaves dry up and fall off as the flowers slowly die and turn yellow. This
produces the highly prized “Colombian gold” so prevalent in the early to middle 1970s (Partridge 1973).

9 Likes

I wonder if ‘supercropping’ in the last week of flower would do that. I may try a branch or two next harvest

1 Like

@Instg8ter would you be interested in doing a Chocolate Thai F2 preservation run? I have a pack
to donate.

8 Likes

Interesting note on girdling…

I’m wondering if contemporary techniques are considered an “alternative” to such “Girdling”…by vigorously flushing the grow medium over and over with pH’d neutral or distilled water towards the end of flowering you leach those same nutrients out thus forcing the plant to catabolize nutrients from within the plant. As Chlorophyll fades you see those changes in the flowers

4 Likes

I would love to, how many days does she go?

4 Likes

I have a few AC’s going. I will try one for sure thanks @AllOra:metal::sunglasses:

Experiment is called for, then.

Before: OHuck, non-smiley pheno. Just beginning fade.

Gonna cut a strip leaving the low nodes alone. See if above and below differ.

Note: since OHuck isn’t a landrace, I am going to move this experiment to my my garage .

14 Likes

There we go , let’s see what happens, that things a rainbow as it is. I love seeing you solo cup finishes…actually the only true Acapulco Gold I’ve seen looked like what I know now as pure Sativa spears with some of the spear thin sugar leafs left and curled like hay. Trippiest ever though. Couldn’t even get people to try it , it looked so airy and hairy like nothing we had seen at 16. And was bright gold.

4 Likes

Not only would o preserve it , I’ll probably pollinate half my crop with it. And sure some others would love that Thai fairy dust to sprinkle some girls!

6 Likes

I personally have not grown it, but checking seederfinder.eu +/-74 days. Send me a pm and I will get these out to you. These are 13-14 year old seeds.

4 Likes

Do you know breeder?

2 Likes

Piper i bought Aluna from bodhi…columbia red hashplant cross…will let you know if i ever get them running

2 Likes