Landrace seed links

some very nice sounding genetics, but $200 for 10 seeds collected on site from villages or gathered from wild untended jungli? that’s crazy. It’s great to have pure genetics gathered on site, but the potential viability rates for seeds like this are much lower than seeds from plants grown and dried in controlled conditions.

3 Likes

Likely. I know nothing about the distribution of the Euro lab developed Colombian '72 strain, just the history of its development.

2 Likes

Yes. I don’t disagree.

Question posed was,

Other US based seedbanks?

4 Likes

Yep. Back in the day you could get an oz of weed with genuine unworked landrace seeds from many sources around the world for about $40. The seeds were free. Bags from Colombia often times had over 100 seeds per oz. Viability was pretty high in most cases in my experience. The older they get, the less viable they become, unless they were kept cool and very very dry. Any humidity or heat and they fall off pretty fast. At $20 a seed, a bag of 1976 'lumbo would be worth over two thousand dollars from these guys! I mean, really? “The seeds are two grand, the weed is free”. Oregon greed.

6 Likes

Do you have any proof for this statement? There are a lot of “old wives tales” surrounding cannabis. I would like to understand how a strain can be created in a “lab”. I’ve heard plenty of interesting stories on the origins of cannabis strains, most of them turn out to be just that, a story.

1 Like

Yes, I have emails and photos and facts, but I will not post them. I will not betray the trusted confidence of others. People asked, I gave them answers. Now you want proof? This is a forum… not a Senate confirmation hearing. The “lab” is what they call it and where they bred and tested the plants. Said strain was bred in Europe, and that is as specific as I will get. I do not really care if you believe me or not. This is an online forum, and hence please do take everything with a shovel full of salt.

8 Likes

Thank you very much for this list!

4 Likes

Welcome new OGer. :sunglasses:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Hi @jcfougere. Welcome.

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome! As a returning OG member I’m absolutely thrilled to see this community is back up and running. Especially now we have legalization in Canada. When I see threads like this it gives me hope for the future of not only Cannabis but of all crops!

6 Likes

Early Maroc (Morocco landrace)

16 Likes

@Llimona welcome to OG :sunglasses: :wave:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

New site added - Philosopher Seeds - Early Maroc(fem only)

2 Likes

Love the look of those Moroccan plants. Sadly Morocco is being replaced with Pakistani genetics.

2 Likes

Nice! I’ve been wanting to see that one. I might grow it eventually as well.

1 Like

the Dutch bastardized all of the Moroccan landrace.

1 Like

Not to be a Debby downer but none of these seeds are “landraces.” Actually a “landrace” is a breed of European swine. Like a pig oink oink. The term was later used by some European botanists to describe cannabis varieties living out in nature untouched by man, open pollinated of course. So the second a human has any hand in the cultivation, propagation, selection or breeding in general the cultivar is no longer a landrace. Most landraces were destroyed by human intervention long before Dutch genetics were a thing. The correct term for these seeds would be “heirloom.” Cannabis is one of the hardest plants to find true landraces because of its symbiotic relationship with humans. We propagate it and spread it across the planet and have been for thousands of years. It’s a part of of our story just as we are part of its.

8 Likes

It’s so sad to have to agree with you. Whenever I’ve heard someone speak of their regions landrace strains it’s in past-tense, and usually accompanied with “can’t find it anymore, it’s being assimilated by modern hybrids.”

The world needs a proper cannabis gene repository.

6 Likes

What we need is someone that served over in Afghanistan and was able to collect seed from wild plants, up in the mountains. Then get someone who’s been to places like Nepal and Tibet and the likes, and collect seeds from plants in isolated areas. Then East Asia. Then travel up and down Africa. A quick trip into Northern Europe and finally the Grand Tour of South America.

So, Who’s got the Frequent Flyer Miles??? :grin:

4 Likes

Would you say that landrace preservation is an oxymoron then?? :slight_smile:

I’ve read different things. Some folks like Mr Clarke refer to that as “feral” cannabis, and landrace is specifically a human cultivation and refinement of that in it’s natural environment. Heirlooms are essentially landraces taken out of their natural environment and reproduced and adapted to another environment.

Not saying who’s right or wrong, just saying that part of the reason for confusion is that people are literally writing books that define it in other ways.

6 Likes